Food Network Challenge: Sesame Street Cakes

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I watched the Food Network Sesame Street competition last night. My choice to win would have been the Cookie Monster Cake. The likeness of Cookie Monster: googly eyes, fur texture & size were well done. He was completely edible, unlike Big Bird with the armature base(I'll get to BB in a minute). All of the ingredients surrounding the base of the cake were wonderful in fondant. The judges criticized the cake, saying that they hoped it was more educational, which to me was an oversight, considering that the recipe and ingredients to make cookies were on the cake.

The Big Bird cake looked amazing, with the detailing on the feathers & the face I agree was a little off, but the overall quality of Big Bird was wonderful. I know that a cake that size would be almost impossible to create 100% without an armature, but most judges do frown upon cake creations if they are not entirely edible. Prairie Dawn missing her eyelash could have been avoided, if the contestant had cut out 2 of them at the same time. The muppet character Jellybean was a daring attempt. I agree with the judge, an unknown muppet should not have held the iconic street sign. I would have like to have seen more on the Big Bird cake, representing the 40th anniversary. Big Bird standing was awesome, but his nest(a big symbol of Big Bird's), the picture he has of Mr. Hooper, maybe Snuffy instead of Prairie Dawn & Jelly Bean could have been substituted, considering Snuffy is Big Bird's best friend.

The Oscar cake was good. The trash at the base of the cake was very impressive. The size of Oscar's head should have been proportioned better with the trash can & made first(instead of the rush job the contestant did). The fondant on the trash can should have been touched up. The contestant being an expert should have looked at the overall presentation and corrected his mistakes.

The Elmo cake was awesome. The parody of the judges was a smart idea on the baker's side. Elmo should have been just a touch bigger. The judge's table, an important element to the cake, the fondant job was a very sloppy repair. One final note, Elmo is a huge part of Sesame Street, but his being in the contest sets me at ease. Elmo does not represent the 40 years that Sesame Street has been on television, considering that Elmo has only joined Sesame Street in 1985.

I would have liked to have seen maybe as cakes: Ernie & Bert, Kermit, Grover, Count. :smile: