Purchasing/making costumes for puppets

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any advice for me about making costumes for puppets? Specifically I'm kind of baffled about trying to find wardrobe for a live-hand puppet that is essentially one big body (ala Cookie Monster, i.e. no sleeve for your arm). Moreover, any advice for smaller puppets? I assume you can just get toddler clothes for that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Moreover, any advice for smaller puppets? I assume you can just get toddler clothes for that.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend getting toddler clothes for your puppets, mainly because it probably wouldn't fit your puppet, and it would look a little hokey. Just speaking from experience, lol.

Melonpool

Reaction score
I know that whenever we used kid's clothes for puppets, there was always a lot of tailoring that had to be done to make them look right (mostly in taking out the shoulders). Also, if it's a live hand puppet, you have to worry about where the puppeteer's arm is going to go into the sleeve (and, if it's a kid's sleeve, that an adult's arm will fit inside it as well).

I think your best bet is taking apart a kid's shirt that's close to fitting your puppet and reverse-engineering clothes that will fit him better and address the puppeteer's needs.

I almost wish that Project puppet would make a basic coat pattern that we could use as a starting point -- but probably with the gross differences in puppet body sizes, there really couldn't be a "one-size fits all" pattern that would work.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Depending on the style and size of the puppet, Toddler clothes can work great for a puppet. I bought a sweet suit on ebay that worked perfect for one of my "muppet style" puppets. The pants gave him legs! I've also bought toddler flannels and other shirts at Goodwill for cheap, and they worked well. I think it's T2 that is usually the best fit for a "standard" smaller size puppet?

Reaction score
I have one of the Muppet What-Nots, and I've had some hit or miss luck with 3T clothes for her. The nicest part, is a lot of the clothes will stretch over her body, so I don't have to worry about hair muss.

Making patterns for clothes isn't terribly tricky either, the only downside being the hands. For this, I've discovered that making the sleeves have snaps on the back works best.