Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think Disney would disagree with you most strongly there, come back to this thread in 12 months time and i'm sure opinions would be different on that. Remember Disney owns a TV network. What the Muppets are currently doing is part of a longterm plan - it isn't a case of them taking whatever they can get.
Well, Disney owns several networks, and none of them could be a place for the Muppets, sadly (at least, for the time being). ABC doesn't know what it wants to be except for the network "Grey's Anatomy" is on, and their schedule and programming is always in a state of flux. These were the people that didn't want to give Pushing Daisies a second chance, but sunk lots and lots of money into sitcoms... and ABC hasn't had a successful sitcom since... well, maybe the 80's or 90's. And everything else is reality shows. I mean, "Dating in the Dark?" that's so scraped off the bottom of the barrel it has splinters on it.

The Disney channel, well... we ALL know what's on that... and ABC Family... what the heck is on ABC family?

I'd love to see ABC have a regular Muppet TV show, but somehow I could see them running 3 episodes, and then keeping the rest for summer replacements, airing all of them in a "contractual obligation/ get rid of them" marathon (like they did with Knights of Prosperity and a handful of others).

I still say the movie has to happen first... and before that a couple specials to hype up the movie.

I agree that what's lacking is good writing. The last two major Muppet projects for television were written by newcomers, and Oz definitely failed because of it.
I still wish that somehow Joey would leak the unused script for MFS online so we can all read what was REALLY supposed to go down. Again, there was so much wrong with OZ that I can't even begin to start talking about what was wrong with it. I think the entire concept was pointless, especially since it came at a time (something I've said hundreds of times before) when they were considering so many better, more original scripts. Remember, TMM was a parallel to the original Oz movie. Plus, another thing I've been saying, they were trying to get too many focus groups at once, so they forgot what made the movies lovable in the first place. LTS, say what you will about being "Kiddy" or "juveinle" but at least they didn't jump around all over the place looking for an audience. They knew who the Muppets where and what they were about. No jaded pop culture references needed.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I still wish that somehow Joey would leak the unused script for MFS online so we can all read what was REALLY supposed to go down. Again, there was so much wrong with OZ that I can't even begin to start talking about what was wrong with it. I think the entire concept was pointless, especially since it came at a time (something I've said hundreds of times before) when they were considering so many better, more original scripts. Remember, TMM was a parallel to the original Oz movie. Plus, another thing I've been saying, they were trying to get too many focus groups at once, so they forgot what made the movies lovable in the first place. LTS, say what you will about being "Kiddy" or "juveinle" but at least they didn't jump around all over the place looking for an audience. They knew who the Muppets where and what they were about. No jaded pop culture references needed.
Did Joey Mazzarino work on the script with Jerry Juhl or after he finished his? Anything I've read about Jerry Juhl's script would have been a great Muppet movie.

I enjoyed Muppets Wizard of Oz, but didn't go into it expecting much. I've enjoyed most everything I've seen that the Muppets have done, but Oz had far more problems than it should have. The more I watch it, the more I find to dislike about it, and that shouldn't happen. Any other Muppet production, you can find more and more to love about it. Again, I liked Oz ok. It has some good moments, but it's not... up to par with even modern Muppet stuff.

Now, Muppet Treasure Island... GREAT movie. That's a modern Muppet production that I think really, really worked. It has its problems too, such as the characters not playing themselves and the Muppets (sort of) playing second fiddle to humans, but otherwise, I think it's the closest to "classic Muppets" this generation's ever seen (and it's almost last generation's).

Luke

Reaction score
I still say the movie has to happen first... and before that a couple specials to hype up the movie.
Oh yeah totally agree, i think we will see that happen. But i can see there being a TV show on ABC within the next 18 months - probably at the same time as the movie. They are putting a lot into the Muppets, just looking at the budget for that parks promotional spot, and their great positioning at D23 there seems to be quite a bit of commitment to them and i don't think they would do quite that much build up just for a movie (considering it might just do MFS numbers) or just a general ongoing Muppet visibility with nothing to build to. I am thinking specials, tv appearances in next 0-12 months, then movie and tv show in next 12-18 months. I think to an extent Disney are still trying to work out whether its still worth trying to crack the Kids market (with the studio dc, hannah montanna crossovers) or whether to just give up and go the general family/nostalgia route (ie - Letters to Santa) but with better writing and more public visibility.

Regarding examples of the chemistry between Muppeteers ad-libbing Super Scooter gave some great examples but i thought the best was the morning TV show where they had Rizzo, Gonzo and Piggy together. I don't have a link to it anymore, does anyone else?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now, Muppet Treasure Island... GREAT movie. That's a modern Muppet production that I think really, really worked. It has its problems too, such as the characters not playing themselves and the Muppets (sort of) playing second fiddle to humans, but otherwise, I think it's the closest to "classic Muppets" this generation's ever seen (and it's almost last generation's).
Totally. And unlike MCC, I can stay awake through the scenes with humans only. Last time I watched it, I got through that long "The Love is Gone" number by counting how many times Belle's nostrils flared. it's a good movie and all, but it lacked that Muppety feeling. MTI had it down. Even the humans were Muppety (well.... not Jim. I never liked the kid that played Jim).

I still don't know Jerry's exact role in MFS... all I know is Joey's problems with the director changing everything (especially the ending).

Oh yeah totally agree, i think we will see that happen. But i can see there being a TV show on ABC within the next 18 months - probably at the same time as the movie. They are putting a lot into the Muppets, just looking at the budget for that parks promotional spot, and their great positioning at D23 there seems to be quite a bit of commitment to them and i don't think they would do quite that much build up just for a movie (considering it might just do MFS numbers) or just a general ongoing Muppet visibility with nothing to build to. I am thinking specials, tv appearances in next 0-12 months, then movie and tv show in next 12-18 months. I think to an extent Disney are still trying to work out whether its still worth trying to crack the Kids market (with the studio dc, hannah montanna crossovers) or whether to just give up and go the general family/nostalgia route (ie - Letters to Santa) but with better writing and more public visibility.
yeah. I want that stuff to. I think the biggest problem has to do with ABC itself, since it apparently doesn't know what it's doing. They took one of their highest rated shows, Ugly Betty, and threw it to the Friday Night death slot for something that they'll clearly cancel 3 episodes in. They put so much stock into sitcoms this fall (in Pushing Daisies's time slot... kinda mad about that) and they haven't had a hit sitcom in years. It might be a good time for the Muppets, but it isn't a good time for ABC. No wonder why it's taking so long to get a show together.

In a perfect world, we'd have a weekly Muppet show instead of Celebrity dance competitions, dating reality shows, and lame doctor shows that come off like an hour long Scrubs without the charm. but they're probably sew buttons onto your eyes there...:stick_out_tongue:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Is Steve Whitmire okay?
That, my friend, is what we're ALL still waiting eagerly to find out. One week later and we still know nothing. I mean, i can understand Disney being tightlipped on the reason behind a substitute performer, but the fact that NOBODY at Disney, Henson, any of Steve's colleagues has at least come out and told us on or off the record or anonymously if Steve is okay or not totally flabbergasts me. (I'm flabby enough, i don't need my gasts flabbered as well)

BEAR

Reaction score
Kermit's performance made me sad. It was almost as sad as seeing Bob Hope get older and more vegetable-like. What was even sadder about the broadcast?...David Hasselhoff's performance....

doc hopper

Reaction score
The difference between Hasslehoff and Kermit the Frog was that everyone knew Hasslehoff was going to suck.

Luke

Reaction score
That, my friend, is what we're ALL still waiting eagerly to find out. One week later and we still know nothing. I mean, i can understand Disney being tightlipped on the reason behind a substitute performer, but the fact that NOBODY at Disney, Henson, any of Steve's colleagues has at least come out and told us on or off the record or anonymously if Steve is okay or not totally flabbergasts me. (I'm flabby enough, i don't need my gasts flabbered as well)
I may be wrong on this, i may not have seen every video of it - but from what i've seen Steve doesn't seem to be visible in any of the Muppets Disneyland footage either. But then again that isn't Eric waggling Piggy/Fozzie either is it? Only person i recognised was Bill.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I don't get that either. No matter what happened with the recasts, my main concern is that Steve is all right. If he got sick or hurt or something and couldn't perform that night, well, it might've happened.

I would feel so much better if someone...Disney, Eric, Steve's friend/family member, whoever to say: "Steve couldn't make it because of blah blah blah, but he's fine and will be performing again soon."

I just hope all is well with Steve. There's a crappy flu hitting some of the Midwest (where I'm at). Hope he didn't catch that. Yecch.

Convincing John