Your Thoughts: Kermit and Miss Piggy on America's Got Talent

Luke

Reaction score
Bring the Muppets back to the Muppets! It's been known as the Kermit and Miss Piggy brand for too long.
Totally agree, trouble has been its so long folks have forgotten the wider cast which prevented them putting up those characters. Stuff like D23 and the specials is doing great work to re-introduce them and hopefully make it possible again.

Even Gonzo on his own on AGT would have been fantastic.

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
You know what?

All this Steve/Artie Kermit business, along with D22 (or 23 or whatever) got me coming back to MuppetCentral for the first time in years. I was excited to have some people share my enthusiasm and concerns about the future of the Muppets.

Instead, all I've found is people engaging in pointless arguments, constantly re-iterating their points over and over, and generally being nasty to each other. It's been like stepping into an argument in my wife's class of high school sophomores.

There is a lot of enthusiasm and passion for the Muppets here. It's a shame everyone just has to turn all that passion into pointless, heated internal arguments rather than making an effort to affect positive change by actually telling the people who matter (i.e. Disney) how you're feeling.

I can already see the responses to this post:
"Well, if you don't like it, then just leave."
I am... right now.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hmmm. Well, I don't think you could really say *everyone*. I think that mainly a lot of the arguing and trouble has been from a few... um... "louder" individuals who are more... "open" about their opinion?

I realize a few of my posts in these threads have reiterized previous comments, and I apologize for that if it's caused anyone to leave. But I stand what I've said, and I don't personally feel I've said anything offensive... yet. The majority, I feel have not.

To reiterate, I'm sorry for my previous reitirations.

My posting in circles will end and I apologize for it.

Muchos apologies for my many rewordings of previous comments.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Disney had a real golden opportunity to showcase another character and turn Steve's unavailability into a strenth by doing something FUNNIER than rolling out Kermit to accompany Lady Gaga to the VMA's.

Yeah, they probably wanted Gaga and Kermit to go out since she made some waves wearing some "Kermit fashion" - but didn't she also wear an Animal outfit? Why not have had her date ANIMAL instead? That would have generated MORE publicity and have been much more HILARIOUS!

lynxminx

Reaction score
Yes, Heralde, the YouTube clip you linked to is Artie Esposito.

The "new" Kermit is constantly twitching, moving and stuttering, even when he has nothing to say. He has no comic timing, and -- worst of all -- apparently if you lean your face close enough, he'll kiss you on the mouth without a second thought.

I don't want Kermit to remind me of anyone, I want him to be Kermit. And nothing he does in that clip is the Kermit I know.
But his voice and his attitude are dead on for Jim Henson...the Kermit *I* know.

Steve is a formidable talent...I just took his class in Atlanta and loved the heck out of it, so I mean absolutely no disrespect...but...*gulp*...

...he plays Kermit with a naivete the original never had.

You could easily conflate Kermit's sense of wonder with naivete, but the original Kermit was 1. fully an adult, and 2. closer to enlightment than all the other characters. Though Henson gave him modesty, he's not one of the gang, not an average joe. He's calm, contented, aware and confident (even when he's freaking out). The others are drawn to him for this reason...his lack-of-wanting approximates wisdom.

It's easy for me to imagine Steve's Kermit getting excited or hyper or fanboyish on the red carpet with GaGa. Artie, if it was Artie, played Kermit the way I remember him: not phased at all by the spotlight or the chaos circling around him. It was...eerie. In a good way.

I believe it should be one muppet, one performer. And Steve was a performer Henson admired greatly, if he didn't select him outright to succeed as Kermit. The performer in this clip is a weak puppeteer. But it makes me wonder what could have been...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Disney had a real golden opportunity to showcase another character and turn Steve's unavailability into a strenth by doing something FUNNIER than rolling out Kermit to accompany Lady Gaga to the VMA's.

Yeah, they probably wanted Gaga and Kermit to go out since she made some waves wearing some "Kermit fashion" - but didn't she also wear an Animal outfit? Why not have had her date ANIMAL instead? That would have generated MORE publicity and have been much more HILARIOUS!
VERY good point! We're seeing Rowlf again, and Scooter. But, why couldn't we have seen Fozzie or Animal? Heck, Beaker would have been hilarious, but Steve was MIA at the time. What was wrong with using Gonzo, after all he would be a perfect match for lady Gaga!

dwmckim

Reaction score
The more i think about it, the more i so wish they would have gone that route. Think of it - after some suspenceful teasing of who's LG's date, it turns out to be Animal - even fancied up in a tux and top hat (which he eats). When asked for a comment from reporters/host, Animal replies "GOOGOO FOR GAGA! GOOGOO FOR GAGA!" When LG gives him a kiss, Animal's whole demeanor changes from wild to hit-by-Cupid's-arrow type trance purring "Sigh - Googoo Gaga..."

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I afree. There are a ton more Muppet characters out there to use. I don't think anyone would fuss to see a character other than Kermit being spotlighted.

Mupp

Reaction score
You know what?

All this Steve/Artie Kermit business, along with D22 (or 23 or whatever) got me coming back to MuppetCentral for the first time in years. I was excited to have some people share my enthusiasm and concerns about the future of the Muppets.

Instead, all I've found is people engaging in pointless arguments, constantly re-iterating their points over and over, and generally being nasty to each other...It's a shame everyone just has to turn all that passion into pointless, heated internal arguments rather than making an effort to affect positive change by actually telling the people who matter (i.e. Disney) how you're feeling.
Welcome to the Internet. :cry: Sadly, that's what most people do.
Disney fans as well, just look at the boards at mouseinfo.com. LOTS of negativity and mud slinging at that place (Last time I checked anyway, perhaps the place has cleaned up, I'm not sure)

I'm not here to cause problems. I just wanted to say that I was lucky enough to attend the Walt Disney Pictures keynote address at the D23 Expo and saw the Muppets on the Mark Twain boat.
And while its true that it probably wasen't Steve performing Kermit (It was a pre-recorded song anyway) It was DEFINITELY STEVE'S VOICE. There is no doubt in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCSFGvMdxA&feature=related
I know that you can't hear much from this clip, but as the boat was leaving the stage, Kermit (pre-recorded) said something along the lines of "Enjoy the rest of D-2-3!" And it really sounded like Steve.
Of course. There is a chance that I could be wrong, but honestly, I am sure that it was his voice.

Thanks for your time and I hope that I didn't step out of line here. :coy:

(By the way, in case anyone was wondering, "D" stands for Disney, and "23" is for 1923, the year that Walt Disney came to California and started what would ultimately become the Walt Disney Company.)

Nick22

Reaction score
Welcome to the Internet. :cry: Sadly, that's what most people do.
Disney fans as well, just look at the boards at mouseinfo.com. LOTS of negativity and mud slinging at that place (Last time I checked anyway, perhaps the place has cleaned up, I'm not sure)

I'm not here to cause problems. I just wanted to say that I was lucky enough to attend the Walt Disney Pictures keynote address at the D23 Expo and saw the Muppets on the Mark Twain boat.
And while its true that it probably wasen't Steve performing Kermit (It was a pre-recorded song anyway) It was DEFINITELY STEVE'S VOICE. There is no doubt in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVCSFGvMdxA&feature=related
I know that you can't hear much from this clip, but as the boat was leaving the stage, Kermit (pre-recorded) said something along the lines of "Enjoy the rest of D-2-3!" And it really sounded like Steve.
Of course. There is a chance that I could be wrong, but honestly, I am sure that it was his voice.

Thanks for your time and I hope that I didn't step out of line here. :coy:

(By the way, in case anyone was wondering, "D" stands for Disney, and "23" is for 1923, the year that Walt Disney came to California and started what would ultimately become the Walt Disney Company.)
we all knew it was steve at D23. i don't think anyone ever said that it wasn't. i don't even know where you got that from