I want to be a Muppet puppeteer

TravelingMatt

Reaction score
For my entire life, I have been a die-hard Muppet-head. It has been a dream of mine to work as a "Muppeteer", and work hand in hand with the greats. Does anyone out there have any advice for a Muppet puppeteer hopeful, and how I may get into such a line of work?
Thanks.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You hold the same dream as just about every other person on here.

Try writing the Henson company for a try-out. I think that's how Steve Whitmiere got his job.

Keep dreaming.:smile: Something'll happen eventually.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Steve has an interview at MC I think that tells his story of meeting with Jane Henson.

Create a puppetry tape about 5 minutes long and send it to the Jim Henson Company. Their addresses are located in MC FAQs.

Later,
FOZ

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I didn't even think about that!!!

If you make your own puppets, the same thing helps in getting a job at the Muppet Workshop.

That'd be cool.

Scoot

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
gooooooooooood luuuuuuuuuck (you'll need it)

Sarah

TravelingMatt

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll make some contacts, and get a few connections into the industry. Thanks everyone for the great advice.
Matt

puppetguy

Reaction score
As I have learned from some of the puppeteers in the television industry, its all about who you know and being in the right place at the right time...it also helps to have good skills as a puppeteer.

My question would be: Do you want to work exclusively for the Muppets or do you want to be a puppeteer who works in television? The important thing to remember with the Muppets is that all their work is by contract. Just because you might be hired to work with them on one project, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be hired on others. There are several other puppetry production companies whose work is equally as good (if not better in some cases) than the Muppets. In my opinion, the best example of a puppeteer in the world of televison is Peter Linz, who has worked with the Muppets as well as on shows like "Between the Lions" and "The Book of Pooh," he also performed the gopher in some commercials for the USA network. He's one of the busiest puppeteers in the business because he doesn't limit his work only to the Muppets. Marty Robinson is a prime example of a Muppeteer who also works with his own production company, producing the characters for "Allegra's Window" as well as performing live shows like "Jackstraws". The point I'm trying to make is: don't limit yourself to only working with the Muppets. If what you really want to do is be a puppeteer, or work with puppets on television, there are plenty of other options besides the Frog.
David
www.allhandsproductions.com

Manda:-D

Reaction score
JHC, hear our plea,
Give us jobs in your company! :big_grin:
......I've wanted to write for the Muppets ever since I could write.....How does one get to be a writer for them?

"And then, somebody out there loves you,
Stands up and hollers for more,
You've found your place at the magic store....."

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
that poem must've taken a long time to write!

Sarah

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Oh, forever. But, I'm a brilliant writer. :wink: