Full-body costume puppets

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wow. What do you say? I haven't gone through all of this yet, but wanted to post a few things and then leave it at that.

Most of Cb's post is true - I had a puppetry company that fell victim to what is commonly called "the start up squeeze", ran in to serious financial problems and had to shut it down. It all happened very quickly I did a very poor job of communicating with clients and vendors (many of whom are in the Canadian puppetry community) so there has been much confusion about how and what went down exactly. The "Yom Kippur" blog post people are referring to is here and has the whole story for anyone who's really curious (I'm in the process of overhauling my site so if the link is broken just search the blog for the October 7th 2003 entry and you'll find it).

A minor point though - the office was not spray painted, but it was vandalized. It was a "puppet person" that did it and I do hope they stick to puppetry, because they weren't a very smart vandal.

Seriously though, when something like what happened with my business goes down people get hurt and angry and believe me several people were hurt and angry. That's something I'm truly sorry for. Some people were really amazing and understanding too. But above the financial considerations, feelings were hurt and several friendships and professional relationships were ruined with people who I really respected and cared for. It's something I'm still bothered by but I guess you can't change the past. It was bad news all around for all concerned and I can understand why people would be angry and want to vent.

As for Blink's specific complaint - it's mostly true too. He helped me out by loaning me a few yards of antron when I was building for a TV pilot we both worked on. I never did get around to sending some antron back to him which was very inconsiderate of me. We both been in the forum a long time and the subject of the puppets has not been raised before - in public or private (to my knowledge anyway). To be honest I had actually forgotten about them. I did not pay for them, but I didn't get them either, which may be more my fault than Blink's. If they're still around I'm sure we could work something out via email.

Beebers

Reaction score
I knew nothing of any of this. It matters not. Public attacks, and public attacks over what should be private issues, are inappropriate. That's what private meetings are for, to hash these things out. And I hold as high an opinion of Buck now as I did before reading this thread.

:cool:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Whats with this thread?

Oh Hey I want to PIG PILE!!!! *jumps up*

PIG PILE!!! WEEEEEEEEE!!! *lands w/ a thud* Ouch that hurt. There's no cusion. This stinks. I'm leaving. *walks out the door*

JUST KIDDING!!!! *rushes and falls on Blink* Sorry about that. I just wanted to be part of the Pig Pile. See yea!

trooper_trent

Reaction score
I thought this place was different from other "flame war" forums.
Guess I was wrong.
This is not how I choose to spend my spare time.

I dont think I'll be coming here anymore.

Blink

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
As for Blink's specific complaint - it's mostly true too. He helped me out by loaning me a few yards of antron when I was building for a TV pilot we both worked on. I never did get around to sending some antron back to him which was very inconsiderate of me. We both been in the forum a long time and the subject of the puppets has not been raised before - in public or private (to my knowledge anyway). To be honest I had actually forgotten about them. I did not pay for them, but I didn't get them either, which may be more my fault than Blink's. If they're still around I'm sure we could work something out via email.
Hey Buck. I was wondering when you would show up. As I said before, I simply stated a fact that was relevant to my talking about puppets with you. I knew you would be mature enough to handle the point I made (which, from your response, you clearly are). We both know that I have not been a part of forum Buck Bashing.

I think this thing has been blown way out of proportion (mostly by people who see no difference between me and the people who vandalized your office). I am sure you do however see that difference. I mean, I mentioned it once in three years; pretty good I'd say.

It is interesting how people choose to take things. You had posted that explanation on your website about your situation and when I made a reference to it, I was seen as doing something wrong. What!?

If I was about attacking you, we both know I could have gone into specifics about things with my perspective only (soap box under foot). Instead I shared your account of things (something you had already done; it was a matter of public record). CB Boy did the same thing. Anyone on his case for dragging it up again? You did the same thing again by posting it once more. It is all a matter of how a person chooses to see things.

Seeing as how you had forgotten about what had happened, I am now even more solid in my mentioning the stuff about the puppets and material. It has worked to remind you, yaaaa! :excited:

So please do drop me and email. I have already emailed CB Boy (who was invited to share the email with you) and I have it under his word that if you don't email me back you will have a swift shoe headed for your behind.

- Blink :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Blink, your not reading what everyone has said. I think your so stuck on the fact that you were right that you refuse to see what everyone is so upset about.

As a mature individual, you simply do not hash out personal things in a public forum, it's inappropriate and rude. It was perceived as you trying to Bash a member of MC...... when a lot of us consider everyone here family, or at least good friends.

I think we both allowed our tempers and feelings on the subject to take control of the situation and cause a *few* outbursts. I never said what you were stating was untrue.... .my whole issue with the matter is again, the fact that you choose this format to discuss a private issue that could very well ruin the reputation had someone who didn't know Buck read it and automatically gain that perception of him.

You keep saying that you HAD to bring it up and that it's a good thing. I disagree, because I think what you did was and still is wrong. But, we are people... and we're allowed to disagree.

I'm really glad to see that a lot of people jumped in to stand up for the fact that Buck is really a good guy so that anyone who doesn't know Buck will take everyone's opinion into consideration.

TROOPER TRENT: I'm sorry if you were offended. Forums are not always going to be bright happy places. It's a large group of people and sometimes when your rubbing elbows, tempers flare. It's no different than a large family full of siblings. We're all *Big* kids and have our fights once in a while. I think we all refrained from name calling and swearing and the same can't be said for those flaming forums that your speaking of. Things always seem to work out in the end and people go back to playing nice in the sandbox again. *laughing*

HEEEEEYYYyyy who took my shovel? :wink:

Blink

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Blink, your not reading what everyone has said. I think your so stuck on the fact that you were right that you refuse to see what everyone is so upset about.

As a mature individual, you simply do not hash out personal things in a public forum, it's inappropriate and rude. It was perceived as you trying to Bash a member of MC...... when a lot of us consider everyone here family, or at least good friends.

I think we both allowed our tempers and feelings on the subject to take control of the situation and cause a *few* outbursts. I never said what you were stating was untrue.... .my whole issue with the matter is again, the fact that you choose this format to discuss a private issue that could very well ruin the reputation had someone who didn't know Buck read it and automatically gain that perception of him.

You keep saying that you HAD to bring it up and that it's a good thing. I disagree, because I think what you did was and still is wrong. But, we are people... and we're allowed to disagree.

I'm really glad to see that a lot of people jumped in to stand up for the fact that Buck is really a good guy so that anyone who doesn't know Buck will take everyone's opinion into consideration.

TROOPER TRENT: I'm sorry if you were offended. Forums are not always going to be bright happy places. It's a large group of people and sometimes when your rubbing elbows, tempers flare. It's no different than a large family full of siblings. We're all *Big* kids and have our fights once in a while. I think we all refrained from name calling and swearing and the same can't be said for those flaming forums that your speaking of. Things always seem to work out in the end and people go back to playing nice in the sandbox again. *laughing*

HEEEEEYYYyyy who took my shovel? :wink:
Puppetplanet, this is less about me being right and more about what I wrote. I said something to Buck (a reminder of sorts?). You and others didn't like it. So you decided to accuse me of attacking him.

If you had stayed out of it and it went from my first post to Buck's last post (and my response to his post) it would have been something that actually ended up being an eventful comment. Buck has been reminded about the stuff outstanding and he and I can hash things out (in private). Making a comment and hashing things out are two completely different things (as I see them). What happened instead was someone trying to protect Buck from "an attack" (my guess is that this has more to do with others who have attacked him in the past) and I seemed like a good person to take out frustration on.

The private issue wasn't "discussed" until I was challenged on mentioning a fact that ended up helping to clear things up (between him and I). I've never been one to mince words. If I were attacking Buck it would been a long and direct rant. I didn't do that.

I agree that our debate went on way too much, and for that I apologize to everyone. As for his reputation being wrecked, Buck's and my last posts show that communication is the key to understanding, which is what is happening. I thought that allowing others to read his version of what happened was a way to have those who might have thought gotten the wrong idea to understand better (since it had become an issue). I didn't give a one sided version of things (which I could have done).

I don't think I said I "HAD" to bring it up, but rather that I "DID" because it was relevant to Buck and I and the issue at hand. I agree with you 100% we are allowed to disagree, and I it is clear to me that you and I choose to see things differently. I respect that, and have no need to change your mind.

I've never posted that Buck is not a good guy, I simply commented to him. It seems that you are angry (understood). If three years from now you make a relevant comment to the fact that I mentioned that you feel I attacked Buck, then you have my blessing (even though we disagree about what happened and Buck and I agree about what happened). I do things (like Buck) that people are not happy about. Mentioning it as a side note in a relevant conversation (directly to me) years later, would not be an attack or hashing things out (to me). But again we can agree to disagree.

I have always been big on communication. I am looking forward to Buck's email.

It is good that people don't take one person's comments and make conclusions, that would be ignorant. I am gald people can withhold judgement before finding out more information. Which Buck has expalined in his Blog, that people were directed to.

I also agree with your point to Trooper Trent. I would encourage him to remain in the forum (here). Forums are not always nice places and tempers can flare, but they are also places where people are allowed to disagree (and that is not always pleasant).

Buck knows me, and he can stand up for himself (although it is always good when others are willing to as well). If he feels like I was bashing him, he will let me know and we can hash that out (don't worry.....in private). I too like it when all we all decide to go back to playing nice in the sandbox.

*picks up shovel and hands it to puppet planet nicely*

- Blink :smile:

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Blink said:
If you had stayed out of it and it went from my first post to Buck's last post (and my response to his post) it would have been something that actually ended up being an eventful comment.
Well, this is a public forum. If you didn't want others to comment on something you said specifically about another member, then it should have started out as a private conversation. Posting it in a public forum leaves it open to speculation, and comments from the peanut gallery.

Blink said:
I also agree with your point to Trooper Trent. I would encourage him to remain in the forum (here). Forums are not always nice places and tempers can flare, but they are also places where people are allowed to disagree (and that is not always pleasant).
Yes Trent.... please do stay!

Blink said:
*picks up shovel and hands it to puppet planet nicely*
There it is! Thank You!

*takes shovel and begins to build Fraggle caves*

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Not to change the subject....but getting back on topic...

Anyone who went to MuppetFest know how tall Sweetums actually is? I used to work at MGM and I think the costume requirement was 6' even. It would make the performer about 6'2" or 6'3" but that's the Muppet Vision suit.

Reason I ask is that I'm thinking about making a Sweetums costume for myself for halloween this year. Provided I have time. It looks relatively easy just going to cost a nice chunk of change for the fur/furs.

I may have to pad the shoes since I'm only 5'9"...so I'm a little short. If I do it I'll keep my progress posted.

Fragglerockr