Elmo on The Today Show (9/6/09)

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score

gbrobeck

Reaction score
Elmo was on again just now (9/8) with his mommy, May. They said it was her first appearance on television, and she had a notable southern accent. One of the hosts pointed that out and wondered why Elmo didn't have one.

No idea who was performing Elmo's mommy.

Greg

Convincing John

Reaction score
Did anyone see the second clip where Elmo and his mom appeared? I saw it and it was good. Elmo talked about the difference between wants and needs and his mom mentioned she was from Virginia.

BUT did anyone see when they showed a few select bits from the special? This, you GOTTA see! Here's why:

I saw a very unexpected (and totally awesome) cameo appearance. Don Music? Nope. Roosevelt Franklin? Nope. Kermit? Nope.

The clip showed a pan across the street, starting with Oscar's can and across the brownstone. I saw someone sitting in the window well (in front of Ernie and Bert's). It was a new character based off someone we all know and love:

Jerry Nelson.

Yes, there is a new caricatured Jerry Nelson Muppet that appears in the special! Here's what he looks like (from the quick clip I saw):

First up, they got the beard down perfect. It's white and gray and just has that "Jerry Nelson beard" look. There were eyebrows but no visible eyes (from what I could see...they were kind of like Mumford's). He was wearing some kind of a burnt orange hat (one of those flat Boober-like hats), a jeans jacket and he was playing a guitar. This just has to be an intentional caricature.

The Muppet was a Lavender AM and was jamming away as the camera panned across the street. You could see him for about three seconds but he was there!

I don't have a direct link, but here's how you can see the clip:

Go to the Today Show website:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/

Click on the link "Watch the Show" in the middle of the page. You'll get a pop up video playing an ad you have to wait through.

A report about Obama will automatically begin. Pause the player and look at the stories on the left. Scroll down until you see the thumbnail with Elmo and his mom. It says "Elmo's recession advice". Click on it.

The Jerry Nelson Muppet appears at the 17 second mark. Right before the clip ends, Elmo says something to "Jerry" as he walks by (we don't know what he says because of the voice over) and "Jerry" gives a (silent) 'head-nodding' laugh like Floyd would do.

I've gotta tape this! (I was gonna tape it anyway, but now I REALLY gotta tape this!)

Convincing John

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Did anyone see the second clip where Elmo and his mom appeared?
Yes, the Muppets have been making the rounds to get the word out about the special.

Elmo made a surprise appearance on the Sunday edition of NBC's Today to talk about the program. He returned to Today on Tuesday, this time bringing his mommy (May) to offer some advice for families. And he dressed up to visit Bob Schieffer on CBS's Washington Unplugged on Friday to promote the show. Additionally, Grover spoke about the program at the 2009 TV Critics Press Tour.

You can watch videos of all four of these appearances right here.

Yes, there is a new caricatured Jerry Nelson Muppet that appears in the special!
You mean this guy? Yes, his design was inspired by Mr. Nelson and is a wonderful tribute. It will be interesting to see how the puppet is used (not just in this special, but also in the future).

Convincing John

Reaction score
You mean this guy? Yes, his design was inspired by Mr. Nelson and is a wonderful tribute. It will be interesting to see how the puppet is used (not just in this special, but also in the future).
Cool! I knew it was Jerry Nelson!:sing: I'm looking forward to seeing this. I wonder if it will be rebroadcast after the 9th. I'm checking both my PBS stations and I don't see it listed. :smirk:

Maybe there'll be a DVD of it in the future if all PBS stations don't show it. It looks like a really good special.

Convincing John

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping us up to date with everything Muppet! Yours is the first site I look at for Muppet news. :smile: