Who makes the Muppets now?

chrislynch

Reaction score
I understand the Jim Henson New York workshop doesn't make the characters owned by Disney? Who makes them these days?
Also what about the Sesame Street characters.. are they made my Henson or freelances? Thanks Chris, in New Zealand.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, the Jim Henson company builds and constructs all of the SST Muppets for them, I believe it's the way it's been done for so long now, and continues to be done this way.

The Henson company also manufactures all of the Muppets for the international co-productions as well; I remember seeing a documentary where veteran Muppet builder Ed Christie demonstrated the different constructions of different kinds Muppets, ranging from arm-rod Muppets to glove-hand Muppets. Marty Robinson usually trains new puppeteers for the co-productions as well.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Muppets owned by Disney (Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Piggy, and the gang) are primarily built and maintained by Puppet Heap.

The Muppets owned by Sesame Workshop (Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Grover, and the gang) are primarily built and maintained by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

chrislynch

Reaction score
Puppet Heap

Is puppet heap run by former Henson staff?

Why does the Jim Henson puppetworkshop not make them?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Is puppet heap run by former Henson staff?

Why does the Jim Henson puppetworkshop not make them?
Yes, Puppet Heap is run by former Henson staff - and many of the builders worked on the Muppets when they were still with Henson.

Now as for why Disney went with Puppet Heap rather than Henson's Creature Shop... there were several reasons, but the main one had to do with the almighty dollar.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Yes, Puppet Heap is run by former Henson staff - and many of the builders worked on the Muppets when they were still with Henson.

Now as for why Disney went with Puppet Heap rather than Henson's Creature Shop... there were several reasons, but the main one had to do with the almighty dollar.
Dang, so much for the family that builds together stays together. :sympathy:

chrislynch

Reaction score
What about the Jim Henson New York Workship does that still exist?