Any Advice on making My First Puppet?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Another Update

We just practiced a bit with designs using foam today. It didn't turn out too well :eek:, but we had a good time :big_grin:. Can't wait until we start on the real puppet. :smile:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
We're still working on practicing right now. Sadly, we can only work on it on the weekends due to school and work, two of the evilest places in the world. :mad:

spcglider

Reaction score
The best advice: Don't be afraid. Of anything.

Learning to build puppets is not an all-at-once thing. And there are no pat answers to any given question. The best thing to do is covenant yourself to experimentation, learning, testing, and yes... failure.

Using the techniques and patterns available at ProjectPuppet dot com will get you launched in the proper direction. And it is a treasure trove of info that you will have a hard time finding anywhere else. But don't just stop there. Play with materials. For example, not ALL puppets (even Muppets) HAVE to be made with antron fleece. Try something else and see how it works.

Give yourself permission to explore and even make mistakes. Because I can tell you that the only difference between a professional and an amateur is that a professional knows how to cover up their mistakes!

-Gordon

JustListen

Reaction score
I'm a drawer myself, so I won't be of much assistance in the building department.
I made a puppet once...out of a sock and googly eyes. :stick_out_tongue:
I may not know much about puppet making, but I do know a thing or two about creating. My dear, its plain as day that this is something you have passion for. And evidently, its a family activity. Now, while you're focused on practicing technique so all the dynamics work properly, don't forget that you are creating a character. Don't forget to give him his personality and his history. Who is he? Have you designed anything or thought of what you'd want him to look like or be like? I'm just asking because you don't seem like you're just doing this for the sport of it, but that there is a hole in your heart for this project. I just hate when artists sacrifice creativity for technique. Bless you for reading this through given the first sentence. :cry: