Question about how to help my voice

usmman928

Reaction score
Hello. I am a new member to this Forum. I do puppets at my local church, and at other local churches. I do about 8-10 different puppet voices when we do a puppet show. Is there any way to help my voice, because by the end I have no voice. It takes a day or two for it to get back to normal. Is there any trick that other puppeteers do. If so please help me. Thanks! :super:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Just don't do anything that hurts your voice too bad. Wouldn't want to do any serious damage to your voice.

Jinx

Reaction score
The fact that you are experiencing difficulties, particularly lasting for a couple of days, indicates that you are in fact damaging your voice.

Without seeing/hearing what you're doing it is hard to diagnose what is specifically wrong. Sometimes the way a character voice is produced can be the source of problems, sometimes incorrectly projecting if you're working unamplified.

Several years ago I injured my voice and it took three months to fully recover! (The song I was singing was a bit too low for my range, but I thought it would be OK for just 2 performances.... it was not!) For a semi-professional singer, this was NOT a good thing! I was very fortunate that the damage was not permanent.

In any case, you do need professional training. There may be acting classes available in your area, or most certainly voice teachers for singing. In either (or better yet, both) discipline(s) a good teacher will be able to help you vocally without doing damage. But the bottom line is; if it causes pain, you are DEFINITELY doing something wrong.

thefly69

Reaction score
Hi there! As a singer I understand where your coming from and theres many ways of looking after your voice! 1st do you warm? 2nd do you smoke/drink 3rd do you shout? How long have you been doing these performances? Why I ask is that you have to remember that your vocal chords are muscle like any athlete you cant just go in hard and expect to run fast or for long,so you have to build up! This is where training breathing and using your voice properly will help you,please id like to help and give you advice,so if you'd like to know more please get in touch!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Just to add/confirm to what's been said. You should not be experiencing that much of a voice loss after a show if you're using your voice right. You may need to reexamine the voices you're using for your characters, doing less things from the throat, nothing too low and especially too high for your voice. You may also look at the mechanisms by which you're being hears - are you miked or are you yelling out from behind a stage hoping to be heard from the back?

Even if you're not looking to do musical performances, a singing teacher/vocal coach will be of huge help as a trained professional will be able to help you learn how to use your voice in different ways and identify things you're doing that would hurt it. Small things you may take for granted like breathing and where you're pulling sound from your body (diaphram vs throat) are all things you'll learn which will be of great value whether you're singing or doing puppet voices.

As for the more immediate question of recovering your voice after a show, here are some various tips but it's important to note that none of these are "cures" or that you should depend on these as insurance of getting your voice back allowing you to damage it more - like most anything else the biggest cure is prevention...but here's the things i rely on as a singer to deal with voice loss:

- REST YOUR VOICE AT ALL TIMES between performances until you're not losing it - even if you have to do things other people think are silly or over the top, you're using your voice in a professional capacity so your dependance on it is important. So if you have to write notes to people instead of talking aloud, it's worth your while over them thinking you're going overboard.

- WARM YOUR VOICE UP BEFOFE A LONG SHOW. Again acting/singing teachers can give you various exercises. This may at first seem contradictory to what i just said above, but the voice is like any other strenously used body part - rest helps it heal between strong periods of usage, but warming up before you put it through extended use helps prepare it for what it's about to take on.

- Drink plenty of warm fluids, avoid cold liquids and dairy products/chocolate. Hot tea with lemon and honey (both of which are great for healthy voices) is best (i'd actually say essential). Soups are also good. Gargling with warm saltwater also helps.

- Take Vitamin C - but also be prepared to use the bathroom more when you start taking more than you're used to. Pay attention to dosage instructions and don't overdo it.

- Keep your throat warm and moisturized - hot steamy showers are good as well as a steam humidifier for the room and i also use a steam inhalent that you breathe into.

- In addition to resting your voice, rest your body. Sleep is your friend. Most of your body's healing will take place once you obtain deep sleep.

- When you DO have to talk in between performaces, talk very low, use your deepest register as your upper registers are usually the first to go and the last to come back. Again your friends and family might think you're being silly trying to sound like an announcer or 6'7 giant, but saving the parts of your voice that you rely on comes first.

usmman928

Reaction score
Thanks alot!

Hey! Thanks for the information I sure do appreciate it alot! I think the problem could be from not having a mic system. I have been really thinking and praying about a headset mic for my performances. Do any of you have a certain mic system you would recommend? Thanks again! :super:I just love this forum, because there is no more puppeteers around here. :eek:

Jinx

Reaction score
Whether you use a mic or not, it is still important to know how to project your voice in a healthy manner.

When I'm miked I use a Sennheiser ew100 g2 wireless lav. When I use it for puppetry I place the mic capsule in the center of my forehead and use a gym headband to hold it and the cord in place. (Running the cord over my head and down my back to the pack.)

In this position it picks up my voice really well, and I'm never in danger of accidentally bumping it or brushing it against something.

usmman928

Reaction score
Thanks alot!

Hey! Thanks again for the infro, I sure do appreciate it alot! What every one has told me is great advice. Thanks again to every one.. :super: