The Muppets DON'T Appear at the Emmys

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
While reading an interview with Neil Patrick Harris about his hosting gig on Sunday for the Emmy's, one sentence stuck out at me more than others...

"He also scrapped an extravagant Muppet-themed opening, but has recruited So You Think You Can Dance choreographers Tabitha and Napoleon to pull together some dance elements.
"What? Had anyone heard anything about this before? Think there's any connection here to the Steve happenings? Probably a connection to Jason Segel though... gah!

Thoughts?

dwmckim

Reaction score
(Neat thread title - hee!)

Neil Patrick Harris just happens to be a huge Muppet fan himself (how cool is it that two of the most openly Muppet fanatic celebs are on the same show!) As Emmy host, he gets to throw out ideas for musical numbers, acts, monologues, stuff he'd like to do. I can easily see him pushing to do something Muppet-themed but i think this just might have been the case of the Emmy producers turning the idea down as opposed to Disney (i have a feeling they would have jumped at the chance)

kermiegirl

Reaction score
Did you know that "The Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa" was nominated for best original music? It didn't win though; it went to the opening number from the Oscars. I was surprised that the Academy recognized a special like this in its music. What do you think?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was surprised that the Academy recognized a special like this in its music. What do you think?
I think it was a huge insult that an Awards show wins an Award. That's just the biggest backdoor entertainment favoritism there is. But at LEAST it didn't lose to Andy Samburg. THAT would have been a real insult.

Frogster

Reaction score
The Muppets weren't on for a reason, and that's because they had their run. People here need to stop freaking out every time there's so much as a whisper about Muppets being on something. They got nominated for one song, and even if the Awards Show didn't win it, Andy Samberg would have won because people like his crappy style. And since this Artie guy is slowly making his way in, Sam the Eagle sounds like Hoots the Owl, and Sesame Street is now ran by Elmo, nobody really cares anymore. The Muppets are strictly a business now; there's no imagination or talent these days. The best I can hope for is an appearance by Dave Goelz and Bill Baretta at colleges and book stores.

Speaking of Sam the Eagle, why do Sam and Animal look even worse than what they looked like back in the 70's? Animal looks terrible.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Did you know that "The Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa" was nominated for best original music? It didn't win though; it went to the opening number from the Oscars. I was surprised that the Academy recognized a special like this in its music. What do you think?
I remeber watching the opening of the Academy Awards and thinking, "Ya know, I'm a fan of musicals... I should like this... but this song... really... really... sucks."

The only other part of the Oscars I watched was Best Supporting Actor to see if Heath Ledger would get it. I couldn't stand to see the rest of the show after that song. How it won an Emmy is beyond me! Paul Williams should have been honored for his work with the Muppets (Rainbow Connection's Oscar snub is another one of life's great injustices).

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
I see why the Oscars opening won, it was creative. I hated the speech those guys gave though.

Anyways, I thought it was really nice to see LTS get a nomination, thats a pretty impressive feat. They were also against Stephen Colbert's Christmas special, which was funny. And Andy Samberg + Justin Timberlake's MotherLover song, which I'm sorry, is HILARIOUS. So the competition was actually pretty stiff. I think it's nice they even got the nomination :super:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyways, I thought it was really nice to see LTS get a nomination, thats a pretty impressive feat. They were also against Stephen Colbert's Christmas special, which was funny. And Andy Samberg + Justin Timberlake's MotherLover song, which I'm sorry, is HILARIOUS. So the competition was actually pretty stiff. I think it's nice they even got the nomination :super:
They were also up against 2 award shows.... AWARD SHOWS! Award shows should win awards at award shows for award shows. Though, it would have been a great insult to lose to Andy Samberg... really. That guy has to be the luckiest mook that ever lived. Really.

And frankly, much as I love the Muppets, I'm thinking Colbert shoulda won.