Sesame Street or Bust

kermambo

Reaction score
Hello fellow Muppet fanatics,
My name is Jarrod Fairclough, and I'm an Aussie puppeteer trying to get a job with The Jim Henson Company!:smile:
Obviously I've actually taken steps such as auditioning, e-mailing, contacting etc. But I've started a blog to hopefully elevate me Muppet-fan wise and get me into The Jim Henson Company's eyes!
So please, come see the blog! I'll try anything you guys think might help, and update you on any developments!
So far I've blogged a quick hello, and a story about my trip to the Sesame Street set! I'll soon update you all on what I've done so far!
Please come see the blog, comment me and let's see what happens!:stick_out_tongue:
www.sesamestreetorbust.blogspot.com

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just glanced at the blog. I wonder, do you just want to work for JHC or Sesame Workshop, or would you also like to perform for the Muppets, now owned by The Walt Disney Company (not sure whether you were aware that Henson sold the Muppets to Disney in 2004)?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Nice to see that you have a goal, you're dedicated to it and have taken some great steps to make it happen. It seems like you're at least farther along than a lot of people who may have the same dream and have a good mentor in Matt and got a chance to visit the set.

Let me start off with some suggestions for the blog - sounds like you have a great story to tell, but from a blog perspective, i'd like it if...well...the story could start a little more at the beginning. I feel like i've read a great preview chapter from farther along in the "book" - but it would be great to hear more about what led you to where you are right now. What triggered your goal - what you've done up til now to work toward it - what's led you to get to know Matt and have a chance to visit? Give us a chance to know about our "main character" as it were.

Now on a personal note, since i don't know a lot about what you've done it's hard for me to pick up from that and make any suggestions so here's some questions...

You mention being an Australian puppeteer. Does that mean Oz is your home base or have you moved to the States to acheive your goal? You mention wanting to work with "Henson" - even though the name of the blog is "Sesame Street Or Bust" - are you specifically looking to be a Muppeteer (and more specifically one for Sesame)? Would you also be content working for Henson as a creature shop type puppeteer? Of course Farscape was done in Australia and if these webisodes are supposed to happen, i figure that might be Oz-based as well. Would you be willing to work for the American version of Sesame or an international version? As mentioned are you looking to be a "Muppeteer" or might you want to do something more Creature Shop centered or Henson's latest "toy", digital puppetry?

I look forward to hearing more stories and you offer something unique - a living journal of someone actively chasing a dream many have had - but from a readers' perspective, it might serve your audience better if you could catch everyone up to date as to your journey instead of dropping everyone cold in the middle (as exciting as the set visit may be!)

kermambo

Reaction score
Hello
Firstly, I am looking to mainly work on Sesame Street (although I'd never rule out The Muppets!) According to Vogel, the best way to do this would be to audition through The Jim Henson Company.
And to DWMCKIM - Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions. Your questions were so good, I've decided to put them into a blog and answer them, since I think they're very relevent questions and good things for you guys to know!
And don't worry, I will explain it all from the start, but I only started this blog the other day and I'm still trying to find my feet!
Thanks guys, appreciate it all, going to write a blog now
Jarrod

kermambo

Reaction score
Hi ho
There's some new stuff on the blog, and tomorrow I'll put up a description of the audition video with a few screenshots. Hope you're all enjoying it. I've had great responses so far

sesameguy

Reaction score
Very cool, I enjoyed your trip to the street & look forward to hearing more about your quest. Keep up the good work!

kermambo

Reaction score
awww thanks sesameguy
its nice to know people are looking at the blog!
i've been slack this week, hurt my ankle so i was angry and couldnt walk for a few days, so i wasnt in the mood to blog, then went out when i could walk, then i've been working etc
but i'll go blog a bit now, and soon i'll post screen grabs of the audition tape, already saved them all
cheers
jarrod
p-s, e-mailed matt vogel last night in regards to things

kermambo

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Big announcement - kinda!
I finally heard back from Henson after bombarding them with e-mails.

...They never got the audition tape...

Well, that's a bit annoying...

But I now have their new address to send it to, and Mr Joe Roddy (Puppeteer co-ordinator) keeping his eye out for it.

Cheers

Jarrod

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Big announcement - kinda!
I finally heard back from Henson after bombarding them with e-mails.

...They never got the audition tape...

Well, that's a bit annoying...

But I now have their new address to send it to, and Mr Joe Roddy (Puppeteer co-ordinator) keeping his eye out for it.

Cheers

Jarrod
No way! ! ! That is SO fantastic, Jarrod! I wish you all the luck in the world! Be sure to keep us posted! :excited:

kermambo

Reaction score
Hello!
Today I've been refilming my Muppet audition, as I wrote previously the jim henson company never recieved it!
i haven't finished yet, i'm about halfway through, its already better than my previous one. this time i've been contorting myself into weird places, just like the muppeteers!
the tape revolves around Boon, a muppet from my previous tape, a Whatnot i got during a holiday in new york.
it's kind of like Boon's audition, and he shows us around his house, before then talking to the camera for a while, while being annoyed by his messy roommate - and yes, he makes the comment about it being the same as ernie and bert!
i'll let you know when i've finished!
cheers
jarrod