New Jaguar Puppet

yetiman

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I began working on this jaguar puppet for the Project Puppet contest over the summer, but my best friend got married the weekend it was due, so I wasn't able to finish it then.

However, he has finally been completed. My mom called him 'Virgil', so that's his new name. He's a vegetarian jaguar, too, so he gets mad at me when I eat meat. Nature is weird like that.

I used glass taxidermy eyes (for lions, actually) to give him a more realistic look. I think it worked out pretty well. I'm in the midst of making a fox, too, and I'm probably going to do the same thing with it.

Anyway--I'd love to hear what you think of him!

http://animuppetry.blogspot.com/2009/10/meet-virgil.html

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Beautiful! Beautiful! Did I say Beautiful? Beautiful! :smile:

Onath

Reaction score
Wow! Great looking puppet. I love the attention to detail.

Teenager's

Reaction score
Yea! That looks Great! He has a really nice body shape, and it's impressive that you colored him with paint and sharpies. Nice job!

zns

Reaction score
One of the most lifelike animal creations I've seen in a good long time. Well done my friend. :wink:

yetiman

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. For anyone else looking at making an animal puppet, PlastiDip works really well for the interesting sheen that animals' lips have (see here for example). I used it on Virgil and am using it on a fox puppet that I'm making, too. I also used it around his eyes.

Thanks again! :smile:

spcglider

Reaction score
That's cool you mention Plasti-Dip. We're making use of it here in our shop as a paint surface on top of latex castings for a mask project.

I also used it just recently on top of some of those foam "Hulk Hands" to turn them yellow for a client. They were using them for a trade show application as the "whacker" for a "whack a mole" type game. The originals were just painted with yellow paint, which, of course, immediately just flaked off and damaged the vinyl skin. So we got a new pair and layed Plasti-Dip on thick with the spray can version. Worked like a charm.

-Gordon

OOps! Forgot to say: COOL puppet! Very nice work.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Terrific work man! I love the variation in spot size. Well done!