Eugene the news reader on Ebay

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Really good work as always; admittedly, not your best of work, but still good work as always, nonetheless.

MGov

Reaction score
Really good work as always; admittedly, not your best of work, but still good work as always, nonetheless.
So let's see some of your work.

Just so we can compare and see what you are basing your judgement on.

I think the puppet looks great.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So let's see some of your work.
Hey, I never claimed to build the best puppets in the world! I don't even claim to be a decent puppet BUILDER - I've always said I'm a better performer than I am a builder.

I'm just sharing my opinion and a little constructive criticism - I've been following Jarrod's work for years now, and I just simply feel this isn't one of his better puppets; that's not to say it's a completely horrible puppet either - as I said, once again, Jarrod did a really good job, it's just out of all the puppets he's built over the years that I have seen, this isn't one of my favorites.

Sorry to create such an uproar.

spcglider

Reaction score
Well, this is a discussion forum, so... lets discuss? (In a non-accusatory and constructively critical manner)

From my POV, I look at that puppet and see exactly what Jarrod wanted me to see in a split second. And I think he wins on that account. This guy is a cheesy newsreader. I'd know that even without the title. He might even pass for a used car salesman. But I'd expect something a little more sinister to the set of the eyes in that case.

While the puppet design isn't anything overly complex or copiously detailed, the details that are there immediately tell me what the character is about. It took me a second to even realize the attitude I was experiencing came almost entirely from the cock of the eyebrows and the plaid of the blazer... but it reads immediately.

I can understand that this character might not immediately position himself as one of your favorites that Jarrod has made, but I don't call it a loss in any column. Many times it is exactly this sort of subtle character that is the hardest to visually pull off.

In my opinion.

But I am honestly interested in your opinion too. Please continue!

-Gordon

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Besides, if anyone wants to see just how lousy my construction work is, they know all they have to do is see my various Steve D'Monster videos on YouTube.

Keeermit

Reaction score
:embarrassed:

wow this really is a discussion board :wink:

Now of course I accept the critisism - thats why I put my work up here to get feedback, and I understand where you are all coming from - it's ok I'm an adult and can take everyones opinion. I didn't consider that to be a negative comment - its someones opinion and point of view of my work. My opinion of the puppet is that I was trying to create a simple puppet which could be easily operated and distinctive - and very light, which I am happy with. It's not my most complex work - I guess you could compare Ernie to the Count - one is a simple design the other is quite complex but both designs do what they were intended to do. Anyway to sum this up I am happy to receive good and not so good comments, lets just keep the discussion friendly between us forum members - smile :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I can see D'Snowth's point that it's not the most impressive puppet Jarrod has ever built, but it is certainly still a very nice looking character. And a simple look is deceptively difficult to pull off, as most of us know.