Puppet Material Question

MGov

Reaction score
If you want a really different look from the Muppets, there's always foam latex. It's long and involved and difficult, but if you do it well, you can have puppets that look like almost anything you can imagine (even a shoe :wink: ). And I realize that the Muppets have used foam latex. The traditional Muppets didn't begin that way and casting puppets is a way to get away from that classic style.

ACEWOLF20

Reaction score
If you want a really different look from the Muppets, there's always foam latex. It's long and involved and difficult, but if you do it well, you can have puppets that look like almost anything you can imagine (even a shoe :wink: ). And I realize that the Muppets have used foam latex. The traditional Muppets didn't begin that way and casting puppets is a way to get away from that classic style.
Thanks MGov,

I have actually been tossing the idea around about using foam latex, and I think I will go for it too.

I have a few drawings of characters that I'm going to attempt with foam latex. I have always liked the way Axtell's puppets looks.

spcglider

Reaction score
Thanks MGov,

I have actually been tossing the idea around about using foam latex, and I think I will go for it too.

I have a few drawings of characters that I'm going to attempt with foam latex. I have always liked the way Axtell's puppets looks.
I wish you all the best with that. Honestly!

Foam latex is a tricksy mistress... I know Hollywood make-up guys personally that spent hundreds of hours learning how to tease, cajole, trick and beg foam latex to behave as they desired. Most of them have volume after volume of hand-written texts based on practical results that they refer back to constantly. Humidity, temperature, air pressure, mixture, air quality, mold material, mold release, etc... are all stuff that affects finicky foam latex.

I don't want to panic you, but I just wanted to make sure you had a friendly warning! Even MGov says its difficult and involved! In short, its not an easy solution to your problem.

-G