Closing of the Year

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Author's Note: Dunno how long this will go or the direction it'll take. There are a few certain scenes I want to have take place, so we'll see what happens.
Also, it's not directly connected to it, but I would recommend reading Silent Hensonville along with RedPiggy's works as that'll give you a feel for some connections which might surface later on.

Chapter 1: Bleak Realization.

Winter reached the haven of Hensonville. This city welcomed the coming of Christmas as any other modern urbanscape... Strings of lights adorning the traffic lights. Christmas wreaths on the doors to various businesses. Frosted sheets of ice fogging up windows. If you walked a little farther into town, you'd hear the voices of a choir for Don Music and some of the Sesame kids were vocalizing the cheer felt by most residents.

At the northern pole of this bustling metropolis, lay the heralded Muppet College Dorms. The four-story building gave hope to all who lived inside, they knew it as their home away from home. And yet... Ed, the resident manager couldn't shake a feeling that had been growing over the past months. The dorms were still as popular as ever. When didn't he get a question about someone new wanting to move in? The problem was, there simply wasn't as much activity there as back during the glory days. "Well, that's to be hexpected" he mused to himself. Ryan and Lisa had returned to their Ivy League colleges, Beth had gotten a full-time job with the local T*K*O outfit, and Claudia had probably teleported herself far away in one of Bunsen's inventions. The only ones still here were Ailie and hers, bless their hearts. Kathy finally moved back in thanks to her improved health. And with all this, Ed still felt troubled about the quiet blanket that had fallen across his adopted homeland.

Crystalized orbs shining as white as the purest ice revealed this to the shadowed watcher. Jim surveyed the scene serenly... His brow narrowed in thought. "What are you planning?" asked an approaching suave male voice belonging to the famed master of mazes. "Oh, nothing much," Jim replied. "Just seems like that nice man who runs the dorms could use some cheering up." "Oh?" came the king's reply. "Um-hum. There's something he's been wanting for Christmas and I think this year's the time for it." "Will it affect my plans for regaining the throne from..." Jim dismissed his fellow's concern with a wave of his hand. "No. In fact, it might prove to your benefit, much like the wish you granted Kelly." Understanding—not to mention a cunning smile—broke out across both their faces. Ed was certainly in for a surprise this season.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ed, this is a great start and I'm excited to see you writing again. Definitely curious to see where this goes - I like the approach you took in describing where some of us have gone - as it pretty much parallels real life! More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
More you say? Ah, but Beth, you know the rules to our game better than anyone else. Another fic from our circle must be updated first... Or I happen to post for the sake of it. A small hint at next chapter: rink reference and a settling between two creatures from the Chinese calendar.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Chapter 2: Skating—and Slipping on the Ice.

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
Jack Frost nipping at your nosebud."

The first snow of the season had fallen, coating the streets and sidewalks and suburbs of Hensonville in its whitened finery. Changes had come and gone. Most noticeable was the new university campus with it's plethora of classes, alongside the vast options for athletic endeavors. It wasn't a given that all of these would be employed... But Hensonville hosted a multitude of dwellers, it was quite plausible that sporting teams would indeed form. At least the hockey rink was attracting most of the populus on this Decembrian day.

"Figure Eight.
Is double four.
And figure four.
Is half of eight.
If you skate.
You would be great.
If you could skate.
A figure eight.
That's a circle that goes around itself."

"Come on guys, let me have my shoes back" lamented the Mayhem's sax player. Chamberlain sprinted away with the offending footwear, only to be slammed into the boards by a furry blue cookie eater. "You can have it back after our game Zoot," called out Ernie, skating past as he motioned for the monster to follow. "But my toes are getting cooold!"

Elsewhere on the frozen surface, an odd couple was enjoying the opportunity to dance delightedly. The lovely lifeguard pig's pink jacket set off her cumly curves quite admirably,the silber bells adorning her short skirt jingled as she moved in perfect precision with her partner. She of course had to wear ice skating boots... Her mate's clawed feet digging delicately as they matched each other move for move on the rink. This was one of the advantages of being a dead dragon... The other, Uncle Deadly thought, was not needing to bundle up during these colder climes. He was dressed smartly however, a plaid checkered vestlike shirt of red and green squares off set his usual black-gray stirruped jeans.

"Spammy?" he breathed in a low voice. "Hmm?" replied the pretty pig, distracted by nothing in particular as she was wont to do at times, adding to her ditzyish charm. "We need to talk." "What about?" "I know that you have many gentlemen callers at your door..." "Um-hum." She twirled out at an angle, completing the figure fours etched onto the ice. "Well, I just want you to know that I'm okay with it. If you love someone else, I'll step aside." She froze for a split second—not unlike the preverbial deer, um, pig, caught in the oncoming headlights. Uncle D caught her wrist gingerly, turning her in an artful pirouette. "I mean... I've appreciated your friendship these last few weeks. And we can still be friends. But my dear, there are others who could use your brand of bubbly cheer." He chuckled a dry laugh, mirrored by a small look of concern. "No, no frowns Spammy." "You're bootiful," he said placing a clawed finger beneath her chin lifting her downcast face to see his. "It just wasn't meant to be. Besides, a little harmless flirting never hurt anyone." She giggled a little at that, regaining her composure. She kissed him quickly on the snout, earning a genuine smile from the old phantomly creature. "Now then, I think there's someone who would like to join in the dance." That made Spammy smile again. Deadly knew she loved quoting from Louis Caroll's classic... He deftly delivered her into the arms of a blue—well, he was always blue, but now his mood matched his skin—saxophonist.

"Wha?" Zoot didn't expect this at all... No, he certainly didn't. But that's not to say he wasn't happy skating with Spammy. No sir, he was sure happy at that moment.

"Ah, my ice angel's finally free" thought Uncle D. His heart or what was left of it gave an almost imperceptible ache. But he had done the fright thing. After all, it was always better to give than to receive.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Awwww ... I, for one, was totally rooting for Spammy and Uncle Deadly. I like him. He's fun. :smile:

*is interested in seeing more*

PS: I haven't forgotten those characters you sent me. They shall be with you after lunch. :big_grin:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Kells. PS: Scratch Aoandon, I finished him already.
*Hopes others like this. Not sure what comes next.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Very cute chapter, I like seeing Uncle Deadly's romantic side. :smile: Looking forward to more of this delightful little tale.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump, where da chappie now?
Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump, or I'll have a cow!

BEAR

Reaction score
Oh, Ed...you know I love your stories. Good to see another one from you.

I know I haven't been around the Dorms much anymore either. I try to, but it does seem to have died down in recent months or the past year as far as the old feeling.