Death at a Funeral - Remake Already?

statler salad

Reaction score
They look like 2 completely different movies - Frank's was a comedy.....this new one isn't.

Anybody who hasn't seen Frank's original version, I urge you now to hunt it out, track it down, buy it, steal it, (but don't download it illegally- naughty) and watch it over and over. Its an absolute modern comedy classic, in the vein of the old Ealing comedies.

statler salad

Reaction score
Oh...my...

Yes, I can completely understand why the first one was considered too British...In fact, so British and subtle that quiet that I found it hard to believe Frank Oz made it...

But this other one is so loud, and crazy, and slap-stick, and disturbing...It actually looks good. Because they've taken the same concept and completely changed the approach...making it into a whole other movie, rather than just a direct Remake with American actors.
..but Frank Oz is British!:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It's urbanizing the film. "The Wiz" vs. "The Wizard of Oz" or even "The Honeymooners" movie vs. "The Honeymooners" tv show. Another remake that I won't see along with
The Day The earth Stood Still
Psycho
and many others.

Beauregard

Reaction score
..but Frank Oz is British!:stick_out_tongue:
He...Oh my! *stunned* I just looked this up and I can honestly admit that I never realised he was born in Hereford in England before. That actually makes a great deal of sense, especially since his Miss Piggy has always been something styled very much within the British cross-dressing humour. Although neither of his parents were British...Fascinating.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
wow...just wow.

I can't believe this is really happening. I've heard rumors about it, but I didn't think it would actually happen. I too, wonder what Frank thinks about this?

The original film had did well overall, but critics were mixed. Personally, I thought it was one of the best modern comedies. It was funny and had a classic style of British humor.

This remake just looks like a repeat of the original film, but with different actors. I mean the film is not even 5 years old yet and they're already remaking it?

This why I'm not a fan of Hollywood. I much prefer to watch independent films, that are not only original, but artisticly brillant. As a aspiring filmmaker, these are kin dof films I hope to make.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I heard that there's going to be a sequel, as well, entitled Death at a Wedding. Any truth in that or could people just have mistaken the remake, for a sequel?

I wonder what they'd do with a sequel...