The Muppet Man BioPic

dwmckim

Reaction score
Just don't see this (particular) film being made. I'm sure Henson bought it mainly to keep it out of other studios' hands. They may eventually embark on a Henson bio but it would be another script (the "Henson" script from a year ago or a whole other one entirely). Despite the attention it's garnered, The Muppet Man would be a disservice to Jim's memory and legacy as it was written by someone who neither really knew him, did the level of research that would earn him anywhere from a "C-" to an "F" if it were graded by an instructor, and simply failed to "get" Jim Henson and what he was about. There's a great movie waiting to be made about Jim but "The Muppet Man" isn't it.

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah, I definately see where you're coming from, dwmckim.

Luke

Reaction score
Muppet Man Jim Henson Bio-Pic Possibly Going Ahead - Now With Disney Involvement

From Vulture :-

Vulture Exclusive: Disney Planning a Jim Henson Biopic
3/5/10 at 3:25 PM

Just a month after Disney hired Flight of the Conchords co-creator James Bobin to direct a new Muppet movie, studio insiders now tell Vulture that the studio is also in discussions with the Jim Henson Company to make The Muppet Man, a biopic about Jim Henson. We're told that both Henson (the company, obviously) and Disney execs are extremely interested in hiring commercial and music-video director Michael Gracey to make the film.

You don't know Gracey, but you almost surely know his work: He directed the infectious Evian commercial with break-dancing, roller-skating babies that went wildly viral that you can watch below. (Moppets, muppets, it's all the same wheelhouse, right?) The "Roller Babies" ad made last year's Guinness Book of World Records as the most-viewed online advertisement in history, with over 45 million views worldwide; it was also the fifth most-watched YouTube video in the world last year. (Right behind the trailer for Twilight: New Moon.)

The script, written by Australian scribe Christopher Weekes, topped last year's "Black List," the industry's unofficial rundown of the best unproduced screenplays. However, when Weekes wrote the script, which contains flights of fancy in which crucial moments in Henson's life are played out by Muppets, he did so without securing the rights to either Henson or his creations. So a Disney and Henson Company collaboration is likely the only way this film could be made: The Henson Company controls the life rights to Henson and his surviving ex-wife, Jane, while Disney bought the rights to the Muppets in 2004. Finally, the two sides seem to have stopped arguing over who should pull the strings and are collaborating on getting it made.
Two source links -

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/03/jim_henson_biopic.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a207434/henson-muppet-man-biopic-moving-forward.html

Luke

Reaction score
This is excellent news. Various scripts have been in limbo for ages and you can't really make a movie about Henson's life without having an agreement to use the Muppets so this is big news if both Disney and Jim Henson Company are talking about working together on something.

It really needs big backing and promotion to do it justice though. Hopefully Disney will get properly involved and not just allow a few minutes of token Muppet appearances.

Luke

Reaction score
yes same project! I really never thought Diz would get involved given all the corporate stuff but it seems the relationship between them and JHC is pretty good - they seem to have decided there is a need to allow the Muppets to still be involved with projects that celebrate Jim's legacy such as this and the Fantastic World's exhibit - i think a lot of people were worried about that after seeing Kermit cut out of Emmet Otter etc.

Its just talk for now though, and i'm not too sure what that director has that makes him their pick, but its a very good source so we'll see what happens.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit to not being particularly happy with the initial pitch of this picture, but with both Disney and Henson involved there will definitely be massive revisions. I'm sure that Disney is just as concerned about Jim's portrayal as the JHC. We'll see what happens. He definitely deserves a biopic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The words "Not at all accurate" scare the crap out of me. It's no big secret that I HATE a good number of biopics (there are some good ones out there, but I'm not a huge fan) or any movies based on real events. But "not at all accurate" could mean so many things. At best, I get the impression we're gonna see Jim creating Between the Lions in 1967... at worst... I don't even wanna think about it.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Okay, it said they got the rights to use the Muppet Show Muppets. But what about Sesame Street or Fraggle Rock, are they not a BIG part of his life and legacy? :confused: