Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
It's hard to even put into words what the event has meant to this puppeteer and Muppet fan. I went this past Sunday. The lecture was amazing. For me it took the basic of what I know about character development a step further. He also spoke of what it meant for him when he landed the role of Kermit. It was great to hear these tid bits of behind the scenes. We also saw some clips from "Sam and Friends", which I had never seen before so that was a huge surprise and also a clip from "A Frog Prince", which I had not seen any of it since the early 90's..so that made me super happy(I was little when that movie came out and it was one of my favorite). The workshop was fantastic too. I had so much fun, I'm going to try and go on Saturday morning for the lecture if there are seats available if not I signed up for the morning lecture on Sunday and the last workshop. And don't be super bummed about missing this..I was bummed when I read on the forum about a Muppet week in California I think in 2003..I was in college and could not afford to go..I was sooo bummed..so you never know..just stay tuned and also if you are a puppeteer get plugged into the puppeteers of america your guild members can be a great resource too. :0)

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
Actually that Muppet event mentioned wasn't in 2003 it was in 2001..I was bummed because I didn't even know about the event until two years after..as in I found out about it in 2003..the event was Muppetfest. Oh and don't get me wrong about don't be bummed..Steve is doing a fantastic job teaching..I just wanted to give some encouragement that you never know what neat events are just around the corner.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I'll be at the lecture & workshops Saturday and maybe part of Sunday. Look around for me & say hi!

spcglider

Reaction score
I won't have much else to do so I'll be looking to hang out at the Center on Saturday and then do the lecture and workshop on Sunday.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
The countdown has started. Tomorrow morning I'll be on a plane for Atlanta. Woot.

-Gordon

DrmaticEmphasis

Reaction score
Just came back from my very long drive... absolutely loved my Whitmire experience today... though I was SO tempted to steal my puppet.

If you went to the Sat. lecture or especially the Sat 3:00 workshop... Would love to hear how you liked it :smile:

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
My trip today, to see Steve Whitmire

First of all, my mom and I left our house in Villa Rica, about 9 this morning, to see Steve Whitmire's Lecture/Puppetry Workshop. I really wish I could've told him this.. but I honestly loved getting to go to it, and getting to meet and puppeteer with him, this afternoon.. honestly made my day. I really enjoyed the lecture that he gave.. everything that he talked about relating to the Muppets and puppetry in general, really made you think and realize what all goes into being a puppeteer.. and also how you have to take your emotions(or words), from your head, move it through your arm and then bring it through what your doing with the puppet. When I got ready to go to the 3pm workshop, I was pretty nervous and scared.. but as soon as the workshop started and I really got into it, everything changed right away. I agree most of my group were adults, but that didn't change anything.. we all worked as a group and we were all there for eachother. Also.. while I was puppeteering, this afternoon, I got afew laughs from the people in my group and plus what really made my day.. were the various complements that I got from Steve Whitmire. After I got done.. I changed from a nervous teenager to a guy who was grinning from ear to ear.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Just finished up with the lecture and class. What an amazing time! Met up with a couple of fellow forum folks while there too! It was a terrific time and totally worth the 30+ hours of driving! Unfortunately there are STRICT limitations on any kind of photos or recording so I only have my memories and some photos of the outside of the Center. Wish I could share more.

I thought that it was a very generous offering by Steve. It's something new he was experimenting with and I was excited to be a part of it. I could see that his lecture is in it's early stages and will get even better with time but I enjoyed all that he had to offer. The class was a great (if all too brief) hands on training in the basics of puppetry. Focusing the eyes and working on our lip synching skills all under the close supervision of Mr. Whitmire. That was the highlight of the day for me I know. I hope he chooses to offer further classes in the future!

TravelTravel

Reaction score
Thanks Steve!

A big THANK YOU to Steve Whitmire, the Center for Puppetry Arts and The Jim Henson Legacy for offering this wonderful learning opportunity!

It was a thrill to experience the lecture and workshop, but more importantly, I was happy to see this master sharing his expertise with current and future puppeteers to carry the puppetry art form forward.

I especially enjoyed Steve's point that SUBTLE movement is essential for television puppetry. Bigger movements that play well to large rooms in live performances often become over-magnified on the screen. I noticed definite improvement in our performances by the end of the workshop.

The workshop was perfectly organized and there was not a moment of wasted time. Melissa Whitmire had a big role in making it run so well. We were lined up by height (shortest to tallest) before walking into the room, which meant the camera could gradually be raised as each group of three performed. The puppets were numbered with medallions on their chests, which made it easy for Steve to provide personal feedback about specific puppets in the shot. The whole event seemed very generous ... the sharing of information, the gentle feedback, and the well-planned use of time.

One big way we can all thank the Center for Puppetry Arts (and encourage them to offer similar training in the future) is to become a member. The cost is only $45 to join, and members receive significant discounts on workshops, performances and museum store purchases. As an example ... Steve's lecture and workshop was $30 for the general public, but only $10 for members! Membership info is available at www.puppet.org.

spcglider

Reaction score
Just got back to work (and my computer access to internet(s).

I will post thoughts and dishings as soon as I'm able (after I stomp out a whole passle of fires at work and in my TVTV life)!

-Gordon

(I took detailed notes) :smile: