Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

loosetoon

Reaction score
Gordon, it was just the 6 songs. The songs were edited in such a way as to make each clip last about 1 minute each. I made my versions from memory and I think I got them pretty darn close. I loved the way each song was designed to add just a little something else to the instruction. First was "Another Brick In The Wall" which was pretty straight forward lip sync. Then "Soak Up The Sun" added some longer held notes. Each subsequent song added a little something more for the puppet to do while singing, just like Gordon said.

Here's a link to where you can DL my song edits: http://www.mediafire.com/?fjifuzjzunj

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Those are all an interesting selection of songs. Steve is a known huge Rocky Horror fan so it's no surprise he chose Time Warp, and actually that's a perfect song for beginning performers as it has the different parts, male and female and also different speeds that you can learn mouth movements, etc. For example, Columbia's part is faster paced.

spcglider

Reaction score
Those are all an interesting selection of songs. Steve is a known huge Rocky Horror fan so it's no surprise he chose Time Warp, and actually that's a perfect song for beginning performers as it has the different parts, male and female and also different speeds that you can learn mouth movements, etc. For example, Columbia's part is faster paced.
It was so short a clip that we didn't get to that part. He was using it mostly to get us an example of a sung word that's been drawn out vocally. "And then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight." "Pull your knees in ti-i-i-ght." "..its the pelvic thru-u-u-st that drives you insa-a-a-a-a-ane." That sort of thing.

And good examples they are.

-G

MelissaY1

Reaction score
It was so short a clip that we didn't get to that part. He was using it mostly to get us an example of a sung word that's been drawn out vocally. "And then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight." "Pull your knees in ti-i-i-ght." "..its the pelvic thru-u-u-st that drives you insa-a-a-a-a-ane." That sort of thing.

And good examples they are.

-G
Ah, that makes sense as well. I've been reading your posts here about the workshop and lecture and it sounds like it was an amazing experience. I've been friendly with Steve since I was 13 years old (I'm now 32) and I last saw him in 2003, and the last time before that was 1999, and I smiled at your post in regards to how he recognized you and acknowledged you when he saw you at the workshop. That's exactly the type of guy he seems to be. I'm glad you found the workshop informative and fun. I hope he considers doing a tour with it and comes back to the NYC area.

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
I was there! It was so awesome! Hes such a nice guy, and the class and lecture were both very informative. :smile:

James Denny

Reaction score
I think the next time Steve is in the U.K. he should give his lecture, love to hear what he has to say and im sure im not the only one who would either. :smile::stick_out_tongue::coy:

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
You can hear part of the lecture in his interview on Muppetcast I believe episode 147..found at Muppetcast.com. Steve mentions quite a few things that were also in his lecture.