In store or online: Which is better?

redmans

Reaction score
I was wondering about something. With a toy line like this, is it better to order them online or to buy directly from a store? You can usually get better deals online, but wouldn't it help the line more to buy them from a store? That would encourage retailers to continue ordering future releases and would bring in new fans who happen to see them on a store shelf. But then you run the risk of not being able to find what you're looking for.

There's a pretty good overview of collectors on the boards here, so I'm curious as to what you guys (and ladies) think? And with reps from Palisades here as well, I'm especially interested on their take on this.

Tony

WiGgY

Reaction score
It's best to buy them in a store for many reasons.

1. You can pick your own. If you want a near flawless figure you can see it before you buy it.

2. Easier to return it if you have a problem.

3. Keeps the next series in the stores.

4. Helps to put the figures in a better place in the store if more people look for them and buy them. That happened in my TRU with series 2. They got a huge part of the action figure section. Too bad TRU won't have them anymore. :frown:

Now if you can't find the figures anywhere, then buy them online, but I think everyone should try to buy the playsets in the stores just to show retailers that we LOVE the playsets. Beware of online buying though. You can get figures that are all banged up or that are flawed or even the wrong figure. Some online stores may not know there is a difference between red and blue floyd or red and yellow zoot. One online store is setting up a preorder for series 3 but it says a set of 4 figures. So, how do i get red zoot? Or will I get red Zoot and not yellow? Online is good when you can't get them anywhere else, or if you think they will sell out as soon as they hit the store

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
I completely agree to a point. I usually buy two of each item that I hardcore collect. One to open, one to keep in the package. So at the store I usually buy the "one to preserve" and then I want and get that "one to open" set online, through a trade, or wherever.

There is a better chance of handpicking a good one at a store. BUT...there are some really **** good online retailers, run by collectors for collectors, who are very careful about what they send out. Heck, Big Bad Toy Store, one of the best, TELLS you the grade of the package you will be buying. I have bought from them and KBKids.com and The Store on 44 and Entertainment Earth and AisleSniper and all of them are really good at sending good stuff. (Only have one problem ONE time with KB, but they settled it with me to my complete satisfaction.) There are a few other online stores I have heard good things about.

If you ever want to find people who have dealt with these guys, go to a pure action figure forum and post a "Have you ever bought from BLANK"? thread. You will get TONS of feedback.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Big Bad Toy Store looks good, and I'm sure it is, but they don't make mention of red Zoot in the pre-order section. Hope they figure out there are two zoots soon.

bc-fraggle

Reaction score
I tend to like buying instore better than online. I bought one figure online, and was worried on how the paint job would look. Luckily everything was fine. I also bought an exclusive fig online as well. My thoughts are buying exclusives online are okay, as it is easier, but otherwise I like buying them at the store. Just the whole experience of finding the figures and looking at them, picking out the one of your choice really adds to my collecting experience. Sadly though... TRU and EB have stopped carrying them here is Canada. Sucks! Hoping for a new retailer! Anyone have any ideas what is happening here? Is there a new retailer to be announced?

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
I've bought them all from storesso far, aside fro ma couple of exclusives that didn't make it to canada ,and of course the collectors item stuff. However, if I was going to buy online, I would definitely rank Bigbadtoystore as THE place to go...Joel is great and really awesome at solving problems if they should arise, which they almost never do.

The only real problem I ave with them is not with them at all, but with the candian currency and customs problem...so for canadians, I would order online from theouterreaches or silver snail instead....

but mostly I like buying htem in stores...my local comic store orders them pretty much because I asked them, and the owner takes a set from the case as well, leaving a few left over in stores that are always sold out right away...the only thing that hasn't moved is one miss piggy and one lab set....

bats1972

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on online ordering. I ordered series three online through EBgmaes.com since TRU is no longer carrying them and I was thinking about what to do with series 4. I may just have to order through Bigbadtoystore.

But it is great food for thought.

Thanks!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget Ken has mentioned that another major retailer will begin carrying the line with series 4. So there is another avenue for planning series 4 purchases.

bc-fraggle

Reaction score
So I guess this means I'll need to buy series 3 for sure online ( at least the ones that I want) and pray to the retail gods that a store like Walmart ( only because they multiplied here in Canada like rabbits) will start to carry series 4. Anyone know when Toyfair is, and when we may here more on the new retailer?
I am very anxious - sorry.
So to add a twist to the question - in some cases like us Canadian folks, there really is no choice between buying online and instore as no large stores here in Canada will sell series 3 instore. Bottom line: have to buy series 3, series 4? online if we want to stay in the collecting circle.

On my knees praying real hard. Tears of pain and deperation are streaming dowm my face! LOL

Luke

Reaction score
I doubt it's Walmart - they are having the same internal problems as TRU right now.