Fur

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering where you guys buy your fur. I need to get some.

-MLB:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Most people here are going to tell you to look at Jo-Ann's, but I have news for you... Jo-Ann's does NOT have good fur... they hardly have ANY fur... the fur they do have usually comes in drab colors (white, black, brown, animal patterns), and it's mostly either hairy-like material, or it's a short, poorly made stuffed-animal-like material.

I would recommend one of two things...

1. Walmart ALWAYS stocks throw pillows and rugs with better-quality fur, and they usually come in bright vibrant colors (this year, neon orange, hot magenta, dark purple, and turquoise)... the quality DOES vary though. Admittedly, I was able to cover Steve D'Monster with a pillow-and-a-half's worth of lavendar fur.

2. If that doesn't work, then look through the faux fur selection at www.fabric.com; they're a little pricey, but they're the cheapest and most reliable I could find (others are nearly $25 - 30 bucks a yard, so $18 is nothing to complain about compared to other prices). They have a rather nice selection.

Jinx

Reaction score
I have to disagree somewhat with the above. I don't think you can make such a blanket statement about large chain stores.

My local JoAnn's nearly always has a respectable variety of furs in stock, while our Wal•Mart frequently, but not always, has fur pillows/rugs. I think you have to shop locally to see what is carried locally. Not every store in a chain is going to have the same inventory.

On top of this, there are also many kinds of fur. Short-pile, long-pile, matted, smooth, brightly-colored, realistically-colored, etc., etc.

If you have an idea of the specific type of fur you're looking for, you may get more accurate recommendations.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I have to say that I have only shopped at Jo-Anne's a few times in Texas (when I lived in Mexico), but generally speaking almost any fur that costs less than $20/yard is not terribly good. I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't use it, just that the quality is not nearly what you get when you spend over $25/yard.

Generally, you get what you pay for...and sadly the best fur is often the most expensive fur.

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
I have to disagree somewhat with the above. I don't think you can make such a blanket statement about large chain stores.

My local JoAnn's nearly always has a respectable variety of furs in stock, while our Wal•Mart frequently, but not always, has fur pillows/rugs. I think you have to shop locally to see what is carried locally. Not every store in a chain is going to have the same inventory.

On top of this, there are also many kinds of fur. Short-pile, long-pile, matted, smooth, brightly-colored, realistically-colored, etc., etc.

If you have an idea of the specific type of fur you're looking for, you may get more accurate recommendations.
I am looking for an Oscar type fur.:grouchy:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
your in nYc or NY State?

i think u need to explore the garment district.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to say that I have only shopped at Jo-Anne's a few times in Texas (when I lived in Mexico), but generally speaking almost any fur that costs less than $20/yard is not terribly good. I'm not saying you can't/shouldn't use it, just that the quality is not nearly what you get when you spend over $25/yard.

Generally, you get what you pay for...and sadly the best fur is often the most expensive fur.
Well, I paid fifteen bucks for the pillow I got Steve's fur from, but I know that's not quite the same thing.

Sad truth is, every penny counts, and in this day and age, purchasing $25/yard for fur is more of a luxury.

I know where you're coming from, but not everybody's made of money.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can definitely score nice fur off throws, rugs, old coats and those sorts of things for free or cheap...and sometimes you can get really nice luxury fur really cheap, especially if it's an end or part of a clearance sale. I was speaking generally about fur you buy by the roll.

Here's a tip for anyone concerned about quality...when you're buying fur take a look at the back of it. If you're buying (for example) brown fur and on the back you see brown and white woven together, that's usually poor quality fur. That's a sign the mill the made the fur was cutting corners to keep their costs down.