I'm considering giving myspace another go

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
As many of you know I used to have a myspace page which I had deleted.

I suppose the main reason I left was all the stories I'd heard about sick freaks who prey upon kids who they "befriend" on that site. That does happen of course:frown: and whenever I received some questionable looking friend requests from people I didn't know even though I was free to block anybody I wished, I kind of got a little disturbed by it all.:concern:

On the other hand as long as I'm sensible and rational, they can't hurt me can they? And admittedly it would give me more access to some of my dear MC friends.

So what do you all think?:smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I figure why rejoin a site that you had such bad luck.

Probably hasn't even changed there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I
Probably hasn't even changed there.
MySpace has changed quite a bit since Marty had one... more notably in the last month or so, as they're trying to Facebook-ify themselves.

But Marty, for the record, there ARE precautions you can take to who can send you friend requests - best bet is to adjust your settings to where friend requests can be forwarded to you, only if the person sending the request knows your last name and/or e-mail address.

Admittedly, I do still receive requests from weirdoes from time to time, but you can always mark those requests as spam, and they will be rejected.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter are all massive fads that people have been brainwashed and peer pressuring the mass populace into believing they "need". I wouldn't say "don't do it" but i do encourage people who are having second thoughts on setting up a page or are hesitant about doing so to pay attention to those concerns and really weigh the pros and cons as to "is this really necessary?"

Personally i don't trust pages that collect a lot of personal info about myself and gives any old person out there in the world way too much details about the minituae of my life and identity especially in these days of identity theft. These sites being owned by mass corporations also allow for all kinds of unauthorized "market research" or data collection that could be used by all sorts of groups for untold reasons - i sure as heck was not going to set up such an account with Bush/Rove leading (and abusing) our government and even though they're out of office there's too much cleaning up that needs to be done. I simply won't give any kind of snoops or spies "everything they could possibly want to know about me" in one handy-dandy page under the guise of "social networking"

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Facebook is the one I chose and it's gotten a lot more ala carte privacy settings recently. My Space always creeped me out for some reason. FB is fairly simple. Sure, they're fads, but the user can easily get exactly what they want from it if used correctly.

I guess my advice is to draft out a mission statement of things you want and other things you might want to avoid. After that go through the list of FB or MS options.

Facebook has really been a frog-send to me in helping keep in touch with good friends who live far away. However, others use it to post pictures and long dialogues about eating Cheetoes or doing something that could have been better achieved through a simple visit with a friend.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
FB is fairly simple.
If it is, you must be a froggin' genius my friend.

I tried Facebook for a week and found it to be rather complicated and hard to comprehend compared to MySpace.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If it is, you must be a froggin' genius my friend.

I tried Facebook for a week and found it to be rather complicated and hard to comprehend compared to MySpace.
I always found My Space spooky and had this pre-2000s look to it. The blasting music from some pages was also off-putting. Then my old client Ken from Palisades invited me to join Facebook. His profile picture at the time was one snapped from the old Jim Henson NYC Townhouse. He had his hand in the actual Cookie Monster. So...I joined even though I usually find such sites really creepy. It took me a while to actually visit or maintain the site. I guess the fact that it has a uniform look to it upsets some creative folk, but I already get so much of that in my work so it doesn't bother me much. Facebook is even straight-forward to my parents. That says something. It's also work-friendlier.

Anyway, that's how someone who dislikes networking sites got into one. By the way, anyone here who wants to wants my FB addy it's James V Carroll and I should be the only one in San Francisco.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Thank you everybody. I shall think seriously about the matter.

King Jim

Reaction score
That would be great Marty!

I have come back to MC after almost a year. I hope you do give it another chance Marty.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
That would be great Marty!

I have come back to MC after almost a year. I hope you do give it another chance Marty.
Thank you Keith. Sorry it took me awhile to reply.

I may do Myspace again one day. I will think about it for the time being. At the moment I've settled for Deviantart Keith. Do you have a page there? I'd be delighted to contact you there. :smile: