Could Baby Bear be autistic?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Junior Gorg is 499 years old now. All throughout the show he had the exact same speech impediment, though at some points there are some vague implications (where I got my rationale in my fics) that it's due to the stuffy allergen-ridden atmosphere both in the castle and in the garden.

Teenager's

Reaction score
I actually like this idea and I think it would be interesting if Baby Bear was diagnosed with autism on the show. I don't believe he would have to be performed any differently, but I think it would be nice to create an awareness of autism and maybe he just says he has autism and there are shows/segments dedicated to helping the kids/characters around him understand what autism is and maybe how to interact around other children with autism.

I'm sure Sesame Workshop has thought about talking about autism already with it currently affecting 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys....in the next decade and on autism is going to be a large part of our society. Here's a really great short documentary about one person's progression of autism and what he and his parents did to work with it. http://www.youtube.com/user/MrTaylorCrowe

But bringing up characters with their current quirks.....Telly could also be thought of as having autism with his obsession of triangles and quick-to-worry state of mind.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since porridge has been around for a long time, it's developed its own "history" in various countries and cultures so today what one would refer to as "porridge" here is different that what one would think of as "porridge" in say, Scotland.

Someone mentioned how in the south "porridge" is similar to "grits" and that's in very popular. In much of the US, the terms "porridge" and "oatmeal" are pretty much interchangable (Bert and Baby Bear should be breakfast buddies!). Porridge remains popular among certain types of athletes or people looking for easily digestable grains.

It's really amazing how Baby Bear's gone on to become such a major character. For one thing, unlike most other major Muppets, his character is one based on a figure in public domain (which may tie into the lack of Baby Bear merchandise) and started out as would could have been just a one-shot or limited arc running gag. But due to David's talent (and availability) and performer/writers gradually adding new elements to the character such as his love for art (then later Hero Guy) Baby Bear's come into his own as his own complex multi-dimensional Muppet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's really amazing how Baby Bear's gone on to become such a major character. For one thing, unlike most other major Muppets, his character is one based on a figure in public domain (which may tie into the lack of Baby Bear merchandise) and started out as would could have been just a one-shot or limited arc running gag. But due to David's talent (and availability) and performer/writers gradually adding new elements to the character such as his love for art (then later Hero Guy) Baby Bear's come into his own as his own complex multi-dimensional Muppet.
I really think that baby Bear's leap into the public eye had a LOT to do with David Rudman wanting a regular character that was all his own. Nowadays David has Cookie Monster, and could forseeably be busy with Scooter and Janice, so I wouldn't be surprised if Baby Bear appears a little less in the future.

Kiki

Reaction score

I like porridge. I have it almost every morning. :confused: That *must* make me autistic.

Baby Bear is from the classic story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, which explains his love for the food. I'm sure it's not *everything* he eats either, but he does have it often. Again, that's from the story.

I'm obsessed with art and I've been creating characters since I was four and I still love doing it. No offence but it's kinda close-minded of you to say "that definately sounds like an autistic thing". Does that mean all cartoon writers/animators today are autistic? No. (I'm not saying that in a negetive way against autistic people. I know a couple of people with autism and they're lovely and pretty much like everyone else. :smile:)
Since I was little I've always related more to older people (and often younger people, too). Even now I feel as though I can't relate to my age group generally speaking. And I've often been told that I'm mature for my age (it's not me being egotistical, I often get that).

And I think the whole Goldilocks thing is just him being an ordinary youngster. H***, everybody loses their temper! Not just austistic people, and you metioned. =/

As for his love for art... um yeah, a lot of people out there are very artistic, so yeah. Matter of fact, when it comes to those "there's two kinds of people in the world" quotes, I had a teacher who told me that she sees the two kinds of people in the world are artistic people and mathematic people... which makes COMPLETE sense to me, as I've always sucked at math, but I'm always creative and artistic.
same here, and I've always agreed with that theory. Although the right-minded/left-minded thing is somewhat questionable in my opinion. It makes out that left-minded people are the most logical ones, which -in my opinion- isn't always the case.
No offense, but ssetta, this is a prime example of how autism is often misdiagnosed - not everybody in the world is "normal", and several people out there have unusual quirks or eccentricities, but because of that, most doctors these days would say "Oh, well then, you must be autistic", even though it isn't necessarily true. I KNOW for a fact that I'm eccentric, even at an early age, and you can ask anyone else here how eccentric I am, but in all honesty, I like the fact that I'm so eccentric, because I honestly can't see myself coming up with half of my puppet (and cartoon) characters and whatnot if I was SANE, lol.
Same, here *lol*. I'm sorry ssetta, but to me it seems that you are generalising austistic people (eg. saying that only autistic people get angry) and eccentric people, like myself. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you in what I said, because we should respect eachother's opinions, but I found what you said somewhat closeminded. Autistic people are wonderful, but you can be artistic/make up your own characters/eat... porridge xPPP/get cross/speak in a more sophisticated way than your age-group without having autism. And, for the record if Baby Bear *did* have autism, they'd make it more clearer.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is something I've been wondering about lately. Here's a few reasons why:

He is very strange in a lot of ways, and is not like other bears, or even people. For one thing, he only ever eats one type of food: porridge. I honestly have never met anyone out there who loves porridge. Most people I know probably don't even know what it is. And I doubt there are many real restaurants out there that serve porridge. How many people here have actually eaten porridge?

Secondly, he always overanalyzes everything he's interested in. He is heavily obsessed with art, and remember that Hero Guy character he created awhile back? That definitely sounds like an autistic thing. And if you'll notice, he says a lot of things that are more adult-like than kid-like. It seems like in a lot of ways, he's more like an adult than like a kid. And he has that babyish lisp, even though I think he's supposed to represent a 6-year-old. (Not sure on the age, though...)

But also, remember back in the early days when he would be seen with Goldilocks? And he would VERY EASILY get mad at her, and have zero patience for her. Even if she only did the tiniest thing to offend him. That is something that ONLY autistic people do. In fact, I can be that way sometimes, too. Like if someone says or does something I don't agree with. He's always been a very unique character, though I don't think he's as appreciated as some others.

So...do you think Baby Bear is autistic?
You say that he's not really like other bears or other people, and mention how he's not like people... But how is he not like other bears (I'll ignore the obvious human traits that most Muppet and cartoon animals have)?

Frackles

Reaction score
It should be noted that the lisp baby bear has is, I think, to make him seem more innocent.

My partner has a different way of speaking because he's deaf, maybe baby bear has a hearing problem?