Not really Puppetry related but SFX?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good place to get digital sound effect files?:eek:
Like a CD or download or somthin'?:confused:

I could really use some decent sound effects.

mrhogg

Reaction score
If I need random sounds, I search at findsounds.com. It's probably of questionable legality, but it's nice.

davidmartiste

Reaction score
You can also join http://www.freesound.org/ for free and download what you need. They have some decent sounds that I've used in the past like static video, bells, wind, cat meow - all sorts of things.

Jinx

Reaction score
I've had excellent results with soundsnap.com.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Still not puppetry related but, music?

Does anyone know a good site where one can download karaoke tracks of songs LEGALLY (and preferably free). I need a few Christmas Carols for a special I'm fixing. :sing:

I found this really great one I downloaded a version of Jingle Bells on, but now I can't remember what it was called and am now venting my frustrations upon people who couldn't care less. :grouchy:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
This is a tough one, at least in order to do it legally. In order to perform a song legally or even playback a recording publicly you need to license it and/or pay royalties to whomever owns the copyright on that song. Everywhere you hear music - television, radio, professional stage shows, even in an office building - they pay some sort of fees. The exceptions are songs that are in the public domain - generally anything written before 1923 - and songs that are licensed under Creative Commons.

Virtually all commercial music is copyrighted and subject to licensing fees unless you know the artist and can get their permission. Many common, popular songs like "Happy Birthday" that you might think are public domain are actually protected by copyright.

If you are posting videos to YouTube, some music publishers have deals with YouTube that allow users to upload videos that contain their music, BUT the catch is that the music publisher can have YouTube remove your content at any time, for any reason.

"Jingle Bells" is in the public domain (I think it was written in the 19th century by James Pierpont). You could try downloading a MIDI file of it and then using a program like Garage Band to put together a decent, original version of it. There are a lot of decent MIDI tracks you can use to make music, but it's important to check the copyright on each song to make sure it's OK to use.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I don't normally use karaoke tracks for songs (as I am a not-so-good singer), but, I'm adding my own version of the lyrics to them, so I need a track with no words.

The tracks I am looking for are We Wish You a Merry Christmas & Deck the Halls. Are they in the public domain?

The special is mostly for the enjoyment of my friends and family, but I am planning on posting parts on YouTube.