Your Thoughts: MC’s 12th Birthday

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s hard to believe, but Muppet Central is now twelve years old. The site debuted 12 years ago on January 28, 1998.

Back when the site first started The Jim Henson Company still owned all of their original properties including the Muppets and Sesame Street. Two new feature films were in development simultaneously, Muppets From Space and Elmo in Grouchland. Even though many changes have occurred throughout the EM.TV and Disney years, we’ve been honored to be a small part of it and to provide a place for fan discussion and interaction.

We want to thank all of the staff, past and present who have given so much of their time and giftings to make Muppet Central a great place. Every member here is a vital part of what makes Muppet Central special. Thanks for doing your part in keeping Jim Henson’s vision of the Muppets alive. We believe great days are ahead.

While we’re celebrating twelve years, we are also looking towards the future. What do you think the future holds for the Muppets? What is your prediction for 2010? Share your opinions in the below discussion and let us know what you think will happen with the Muppets in this upcoming year.

beaker

Reaction score
Hey, you forgot the awesome mega cool "Muppetfest" of 2001:smile:

I didn't find MC til the fall of 1998, as before I had mostly just checked out little fan pages and alt.rec groups before I found it.
It is surreal to think it's been that long, it seems almost like yesterday! I remember chatting with Jerry Nelson, and people working on the Muppets From Space film. There was a lot of buzz in late 1998 on MC, given Muppets From Space and Elmo In Grouchland were coming up and there was rumors of a Dark Crystal prequel.

It was the era of pre youtube vhs tape trading, the infancy of ebay(and boy was I on ebay a lot trying to find stuff I had wanted for ages), and finally getting to fill in the gaps of information you never knew. (Now thats all collected on muppet wiki) Realizing that no, it wasnt your imagination that the Muppets were on Cosby or that there was a Sesame movie that took place in a museum.

As far as...

While we’re celebrating twelve years, we are also looking towards the future. What do you think the future holds for the Muppets? What is your prediction for 2010? Share your opinions in the below discussion and let us know what you think will happen with the Muppets in this upcoming year.
Well it's all in Disney's court now, and thankfully we're seeing them give a truly committed effort towards bringing the Muppets back to the spotlight.

Im hoping we get an official Muppet celebration weekend at Disneyland, that we get a flood of great new Muppet merchandise, more info on the new movie and tv show idea, and are surprised by a lot of epic Muppet news.

People might forget, but this is the 55 year Muppet anniversary, and we're seeing that the Muppets are as hip and relevant as ever.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
First post here in a while, and Wow, just wow.
Let's hope we can keep it up for another 12.

monkeyjb1988

Reaction score
I only discovered this site a few years ago and loved it from the start. Happy 12th.

I think the Muppets can only go up. I'm sure the movie will be big and, hopefully, we hear more about a new series.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Congratulations Muppet Central! 12 years is an amazing accomplishment.

Keep up the good work.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Wow - i remember the humble beginnings - where does the time go?

This was really the first major site for fans to congregate - up til MC it was all usenet groups and small niche sites with no forums or real way to communicate with others.

I've gone from being super-active at the beginning to having to step back and pretty much let it go as everything in my personal life fell apart and went to pieces - and even though i'm at a new place of not-for-the-better-change/disasters, i've at least managed to keep back up generally with the forum and hopefully things will improve personally this year where i can start being more active with the main site and revising Muppet Freak. (Job interview tomorrow, fingers crossed)

It's during the darkest times that my fandom keeps me going, bringing a smile to my face when everything else is bleak. Thanks for sticking around - websites come and go and even some of the best ones don't last 12 years. Thanks to all involved.

Mupp

Reaction score
On twitter, MuppetsStudio gave a shout out to Muppetcentral's 12th birthday.

Things are certainly looking well for the Muppets right now. They have come back into the pubic eye, are part of a big advertising campaign, and can be seen in pre-parades at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

I really love all of the new youtube videos, and the good news is that there are more in store.

ktbear

Reaction score
Congrats!

Congratulations to Muppet Central! 12 years is a long time, since my first daughter is the same age. I can't even remember when I found this site, but I am glad to have a place to come to to get my fix. All I really want is for the Movie to be as good as the Muppets:Letters to Santa was. Oh, and Season 4 on DVD, please. My family is going through anxiety attacks waiting for when it comes out.:big_grin: