James Bobin to direct Muppets new theatrical movie

What do you think of James Bobin directing the new Muppet film?

• He's a great choice!

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • I would have preferred someone else. (Post who below)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I'm undecided right now.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

dwmckim

Reaction score
I, too, would have liked to see Kirk but if an outside director like this ups its "must-see" value, i'm not gonna complain.

Fact is even if "outside" writers and/or directors are attached to a major Muppet project, there's still going to be at least some level of input from what would be considered the actual "Muppet writers and directors" whether they be considered consultants, uncredited, co-director/writer, assistant or what-have-you. With the writing, people like Lewis/Thatcher would do a pass of the script to make sure nothing didn't come across as untrue to the Muppet spirit, history, characterization, etc. As per the directing, someone who's not worked with the Muppets needs the consultation of a veteran who can help them with all the logistics, aesthetics, and technicalities that working with Muppets entails that they wouldn't otherwise work with on other projects such as platformed up sets, puppeteer holes and spaces for humans to stand among them, lighting that doesn't expose puppeteer shadows, hiding arm rods, all that stuff.

My fave sentence in the linked article...

Segel is described as a "Muppet freak" by those close to him, with paraphernalia from the Jim Henson show all over his pad.

Good to know they're getting the appropriate terminology... :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
If this means Jemaine Clement would be in it, I'm all for it. Though, I can't really recall his cinematography style though I liked what I saw of Flight of the Conchords(again, LOVE anything Jemaine Clement is in!) I sometimes get Flight of the Conchords mixed up with The Mighty Boosh.

At this point, I just want to see this thing rolling in front of the cameras.

I was hoping for Frank too... but I was ALSO hoping for one of the writers. And as was said, they're busy with other projects. Seems that Flight of the Concords is similar in style of humor to their script, and a close approximation of their vision.

As long as they don't get the guy FROM Muppets from Space, we'll be fine. Oh, and as long as it doesn't look like a bad trip 1960's episode of Batman, like Oz was.
Just why people think Oz would ever return to the Muppets? Unless we're talking in some parallel fanfic realm. With the amazing talents of Eric Jaccobson, it's like "Frank Oz who?"

beaker

Reaction score
Holy--WOW! That is SO fantastic! It's finally happening! It's really, finally happening! *bounces up and down* What a GREAT time to be a Muppet fan!
As Frogboy says, I won't believe it til it's actually in theaters...though, I try and be more reasonable and say I never believe a movie is actually being made til we see a teaser trailer or pictures from principal photography.

McFraggle

Reaction score
It's good to see that they are still working on the movie. I hope that the director pick is solid.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yea I'm glad to see people on the outside really wanting to help "re-launch" the Muppets. From some things I have read it seems like Jason Segal and everyone is are trying to work together to not just make a movie but "re launch" the Muppets to where they should be a household name once again.

WeatherbySwann

Reaction score
"Hey a movie!" :smile:

I too have been a little apprehensive about it . . . I would really, really, really, really, really like to see it made, but still have hints of doubt. But that's great that we're seeing some progress. :big_grin:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I added a poll to this thread to gauge fan opinion of Bobin as director. Take a second to vote and let us know your thoughts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Holy--WOW! That is SO fantastic! It's finally happening! It's really, finally happening! *bounces up and down* What a GREAT time to be a Muppet fan!
Is it just me, or does it seem like Prawnie gets hyped up on sugar before he posts in these threads? :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does it seem like Prawnie gets hyped up on sugar before he posts in these threads? :stick_out_tongue:
HA! 'tis true. :zany:

But then, you've been kinda cynical lately, sooooooooo... it kinda balances out. :stick_out_tongue:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
lol its like having Big bird and Oscar in here all the time.

Anyways I kind of really wanted to see what Bill Bereta could have done with directing the movie.