Gaiman and McKean Team for "Mirror Mask"

MikeWatt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Movies205
Is direct to video I guess it won't kill JHC that much BUT NEIL GAINMAN BAD!!!

I WANT MY ANGELA EVEN THOUGH SHE WAS KILL OFF IN ISSUE 100, I WANT MY MEDIEVAL SPAWN!!!!!!!! I WANT COGLIOSTRO!!!! DAM HIM I WANT MY BOOK OF THE DEAD !!!!!! DAM NEIL GAINMAN!!!!!!:frown:
What are you talking about? You're mad at Neil for standing up for himself after McFarlane STOLE from him? Interesting. And lied not only to Gaiman, but to many of the other writers as well, after they came in and bailed McFarlane out of his financial worries in the mid-80s. Interesting again. Now you think Gaiman is going to swoop in after doing a work-for-hire gig at Henson and, what? Sue them so he can own the Muppets? "Neil Gaiman Bad."

Do you have any idea what this man has done for artists' rights in business? Do you understand that he has personally raised money to *help bail artists out of jail??* And a good friend of his literally lied to him, stole from him, and jeopardized his livelihood and his family!

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to do this, but I just found this little outrage of "Dam Neil Gaiman" to have been delivered without knowing any of the facts. As for "Miracleman" being a ripoff of "Bizarro", it was actually a spinoff of "Marvelman" aka "Shazam", but that's another argument.

As for Gaiman and McKean teaming up with Henson, this has actually been long in coming. It was Henson that showed interest in Gaiman's NEVERWHERE, and at one point, McKean was contracted to do pre-production art of the Beast of London and other things. Where that project stands now, I'm not sure.

When Neil gets back from his book tour in Europe, I'm hoping to sit down with him for a full-length interview about his projects and things, as soon as I can, I'll try and get full details. If MIRROR MASK is actually on the fast-track, stop in periodically at www.neilgaiman.com and check with his daily journal. He should be able to keep everyone completely up to date.

And as for it going straight-to-video, things could change, particularly if his DEATH movie comes to fruition. Then the studios would want to release MIRROR MASK as a theatrical. Never can tell with these things. Heck, the whole project could be killed tomorrow.

Finally: Sorry about the Spawn issues you feel are due you. Trust me, though, the lawsuit was a good thing for a lot of people. And Todd won't let the readers down, I'm sure he has plenty of tricks up his sleeve.

Mike Watt
www.hollywoodisburning.com

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by MikeWatt
What are you talking about? You're mad at Neil for standing up for himself after McFarlane STOLE from him? Interesting. And lied not only to Gaiman, but to many of the other writers as well, after they came in and bailed McFarlane out of his financial worries in the mid-80s. Interesting again. Now you think Gaiman is going to swoop in after doing a work-for-hire gig at Henson and, what? Sue them so he can own the Muppets? "Neil Gaiman Bad."

Oh sorry about that, I meant to say from the new Previews cover, the Miracleman bust reminded me of Bizarro, heh. I actually have only seen that image. Im not a fan of the Mcfarlane style of toy by any stretch of the imagination, and was a big Gaiman fan before Spawn(Was reading his stuff int he late 80's)

It's actually interesting this is all coming together. I had always imagined what a Dave Mckean directorial film could look like(Shaughn, where's my copy of Mckean's The Week Before vhs?:wink:)
as from hsi Sandman covers to his graphic novels hes done some of the most astonishing artwork. And Gaiman, man how the heck did I miss his book tour stop in Berkeley? Ack. So yes, a
Gaiman/Mckean/JHC project is too cool. The only thing that bugs me is the straight to video part. Though Im wondering as well, how much this will be connected to Labyrinth.

Ive also heard rumblings about a renewed interest in a Dark Crystal update/prequel/etc...so you never know how these projects can take form and shape up!

MikeWatt

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Gaiman/Mckean/JHC project is too cool. The only thing that bugs me is the straight to video part. Though Im wondering as well, how much this will be connected to Labyrinth.

Ive also heard rumblings about a renewed interest in a Dark Crystal update/prequel/etc...so you never know how these projects can take form and shape up!
As big a fan of these guys as I am, I've somehow managed to completely miss The Week Before and Neon, so this is exciting news to me all around and gives me new things to obsess over. :smile: (Didn't mean to yell at you about the Bizarro/Miracleman thing. I was still waving my arms and jumping up and down over the previous post! Sorry about that!)

Again, according to Neil's journal, where there are little newsy bits about Mirror Mask, he says that there is as good a chance of this going theatrical as there is it not being made at all. A lot of it will be done with computer backgrounds, which is, I understand, how Dave did his previous movies.

I get news about a new Dark Crystal movie about once a year. Usually, it's a rumbling from whoever the hot ticket is that month, which never fails to send waves of dread down my spine.

Mike Watt
www.hollywoodisburning.com

MikeWatt

Reaction score
Well, maybe Todd will swallow his pride and actually pay Neil to write some more. Never can tell with this business.

Mike

Struble

Reaction score
MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Dave McKean. I just watched the Week Before again last night. Lemme tell you kids. It's an amazing film.

This will be an amazing film if it ever sees fruit.

As for the Todd/Gaiman debate, could you guys stop talking about it? I get enough of it on the comicbook forums I visit. :smile:

Sh.

Struble

Reaction score
Originally posted by MikeWatt
I knew this thread would get me into trouble...
Heh. You ain't in trouble. I was just being silly, because I do see this same conversation on almost every comicbook board I go on. *shrugs*

I like corndogs... well, not really. They're icky. My friend from Norway ended up eating a corndog the last time he was in America. He had a low oppinion of all American food after that.

Um, sorry for that weird tangent.

Sh.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sh.,

Given their past work, what can fans expect from this new project? What are some of their styles with characters and how they develop a story?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phillip Chapman
Sh.,

Given their past work, what can fans expect from this new project? What are some of their styles with characters and how they develop a story?
Dark...very dark, grotesque, avant garde, and very ornate.
Unless they switch gears or something.