TV & LP Versions Of Songs.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Which version of SS songs do you prefer?

Generally the TV versions of the songs are good but in some cases, the LP versions are better.

Case in point.

The LP version of " I Got 2 Eyes is better because I had the first SS Album were Gordon, Mr. Hooper, Big Bird, and Oscar sing with Bob and Susan, where as the TV version just has Bob and Susan.

jasonsesame

Reaction score
Which version of SS songs do you prefer?

Generally the TV versions of the songs are good but in some cases, the LP versions are better.

Case in point.

The LP version of " I Got 2 Eyes is better because I had the first SS Album were Gordon, Mr. Hooper, Big Bird, and Oscar sing with Bob and Susan, where as the TV version just has Bob and Susan.
I agree with you about "I've Got Two". I also like the LP version of ABC-DEF-GHI better because it includes both Gordon and Susan. I also think Caroll Spinney sings better on the LP version of "I Love Trash" than he does on the original TV version with the orange Oscar.

sesameguy

Reaction score
This topic would make a long (but interesting) study. In most cases, both versions are good, but in different ways. For example, on the LP version of "Exit" (from the "Signs" album), the music is interrupted at points as various characters announce their intention to leave the concert. The TV version doesn't have that, but you still have to put up with the sound of a slamming door as the characters leave. I like both versions.

Then there's the album version of "Imagination", which ends not long after the last words of the song. But the TV version includes a minute or so of lovely background music as the balloons flood the street (you can see it on the "Sleepytime stories and songs" video). Again, both versions are OK.

Then there's Grover's "Still we like each other." Although the song was included on the "Live" album, I always wanted to hear the original version again (you can watch it on Sesamestreet.com). It was a treat to finally hear that first version again, but both versions are fine. It comes down to personal preferences.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Just counting the SST versions, i prefer the TV version of "Bein' Green" - Kermit almost sounds angry in the LP version.

"Dance Myself to Sleep" is a tie since both the TV and the LP versions have their strengths. Maybe i might give a very slight edge to the LP version though. ("Getawaygetawaygetaway", "Wait - where did the sheep get tap shoes?")

mr3urious

Reaction score
The LP version of "Honk Around the Clock" feels empty without the "honking frenzy" found in the TV version. :big_grin:

There are also three different versions of "Telephone Rock":

The TV version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCF9jT1v2ec

From the "Signs!" LP (lacks dialogue in the beginning, and sounds slightly different from the former)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CaKF5a-S_0

There's also another version with someone dialing a (rotary) phone in the beginning with Big Bird explaining what it is. It doesn't seem to be on YT anymore. :stick_out_tongue: