The evolution of Gina

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I stopped watching the show regularly while Alison was still in her early 20's I guess... anyone want fill me in on the details all the way up until now where she is a practicing vet? Anyone remember the first episode with her? Id be curious to know how they introduced her...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That's a good question. I remember David was looking for help at Hooper's at the time and he hired Gina. I also remember her being one of the students in Gordon's class, but that's all I can tell you. I'm not exactly sure when her debut ep was.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
From what I recall, being alive when I was, she spent a vast majority of Season 31 (2000) studying zoology (she was often seen in the arbor with her large textbook)... I seem to recall one episode where Zoe was intrigued by this, and decided to write her own "Zoeology" textbook for her to study as well. I THINK it was also starting in this season, Gina was also frequently seen baby sitting her baby niece (or cousin) Hannah.

By mid Season 32 (2001), the garage of the carriage house was converted into a clinic for Gina's vetenary practice, with a "debut" episode of it, where she gives Big Bird and Elmo a tour of her new office and everything, while Elmo and Big Bird decide to bring in patients for her so she can begin working. It was also during this same season she would still frequently babysit Hannah... I remember a really sweet, yet toe-tapping little song Bob, Gordon and Maria sang to her about the different ways their guardians sang lullabies to them (it was here I learned that Bob was an Irish-American).

Afterwards, Gina slowly disappeared from the show to a similar extent as Susan - she was still seen on the show, but sparsley. Anytime we did see her, it was whenever a sick animal storyline... or like the time Elmo "fell in love" with Gina, and tried to worm his way into her office by dressing up as an exotic pet that needed medical attention from a vet.

Season 37 (2006) is when she adopted her Puerto Rican son Marco, which was a three-part story arc. I haven't been able to watch the show as much as I used to, so I really don't know how that plot device is panning out... I recall yet another Elmo story where he feels jealous because Gina spends so much time with Marco, so he starts acting like a baby to garner some attention from her as well. There's also been a few bits with Rosita and the two of them, as Gina made it clear that she would like Marco to be able to speak both English and Spanish (I believe Maria is also the godmother, as she went with Gina when Marco was adopted).

So, I'm guessing by Season 39 (2008), the producers decided that since Gina's a mother now that she needs to retire from her practice, because the carriage house was converted back into a garage apparently, only instead of being the kind of garage where you would park your car, it became a mechanic's shop.

ISNorden

Reaction score
So, I'm guessing by Season 39 (2008), the producers decided that since Gina's a mother now that she needs to retire from her practice, because the carriage house was converted back into a garage apparently, only instead of being the kind of garage where you would park your car, it became a mechanic's shop.
Oh, Gina's still a veterinarian as of Season 40: Telly, Abby, and Elmo discovered a yak in her office when they went on a quest for Y-word items. (Like the Fix-It Shop, Gina's office must have moved to an unrevealed location in the neighborhood.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, when Austin (maniacalmuppet) visited the renovated set, he said they moved the Fix-It-Shop next to the subway station, though that side of the street IS rarely seen.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Season 37 (2006) is when she adopted her Puerto Rican son Marco, which was a three-part story arc. I haven't been able to watch the show as much as I used to, so I really don't know how that plot device is panning out... I recall yet another Elmo story where he feels jealous because Gina spends so much time with Marco, so he starts acting like a baby to garner some attention from her as well. There's also been a few bits with Rosita and the two of them, as Gina made it clear that she would like Marco to be able to speak both English and Spanish (I believe Maria is also the godmother, as she went with Gina when Marco was adopted).

For the record, Marco was Guatemalan, not Puerto Rican. Being half Guatemalan myself, it was cool to hear my Dad's homeland worked into Sesame Street or any other show for that matter.

ErnieandTelly

Reaction score
Here's the timeline about her

1987- Gina was introduced.

1990- She graduated from High School.

during the early 90's

She met Savion and become the bet couple ever.

1995- Gina quits Hoopers and start work at her own day care center.

1998- she studied to be a Vet.

2006- she adopts Marco
today- She is a vet.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's the timeline about her

1987- Gina was introduced.

1990- She graduated from High School.

during the early 90's

She met Savion and become the bet couple ever.

1995- Gina quits Hoopers and start work at her own day care center.

1998- she studied to be a Vet.

2006- she adopts Marco
today- She is a vet.
*Face slap* I cannot believe I forgot about her daycare center... but then again, that was during the ATC era... not very memorable, lol.

BUT, I do have two minor corrections...

1. She didn't quit Hooper's Store, there was an episode (I have part of it on tape) where apparently she and Carlos simply switched jobs, as Carlos became Mr. Handford's assistant at Hooper's, while she took over the daycare.

2. As I stated before, she started her practice in 2001.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
thinking about gina's character--she has changed and grown as much as maria has, but she doesn't get as much credit for this. maybe b/c alison doesn't do as many interviews as sonia does, or maybe her character and the street stories about her will be more iconic for parents when the kids who watched in the '90s and '00s have their own kids.

which brings up another point--gina and maria are the only characters on the show who have a timeline. even luis and gabi don't really age. (i know she graduated high school, but one big event doesn't really count, like adoption of miles was the only event for susan & gordon). the lack of aging works fine--kids only watch for 3 or 4 years anyway, and all the cast members are quite timeless.

but it leads to an odd situation: although a number of the human cast members are grandparents in real life, there hasn't really been a grandparent figure on the show since mr. hooper. it's a relationship that's sorely missing--a grownup whose primary function is not to supervise or answer questions, but to play WITH the kids/muppets, to teach them songs and tell them stories, to play along with their imaginative games and help them in their mischievous schemes, and to love them thoroughly enjoy spending time with them because they are kids.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You brought up an interesting point there.

Althought Sonia has said in an interview that the human cast members have been allowed to age with the show, there really hasn't been a whole lot of growth with the other characters; Bob used to be a shop teacher before he became the tenor we all know and love, but that's besides the point.

There have been some subtle differences in character demeanors when a character's been played by more than one actor - Matt Robinson's Gordon has been described as having a more streetwise flair compared to Roscoe Orman's Gordon, meanwhile when Olamide Faison took over the role of Miles, the character was suddenly a bit of an aspiring singing.

In watching various old-school and classic clips of the show, I notice just a little difference with Mr. Hooper... he was always the grandfather figure, however, it seems like as the show progressed, his demeanor seemed to mellow slightly.

Other than that... there haven't really been any major changes in other characters' lives on the show... I haven't even seen any changes with Alan yet.

I wonder if the timelines with Maria and Gina have something to do with the fact that the two of them entered the show as teenagers, and literally grew up on the show before our eyes, meanwhile others like Gordon, Susan, Bob, etc were already adults with jobs, families, etc since the beginning?