Proper guides?

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
Hello. . . .

There are a fair number of things that can be explained with text and there are also many descent "how to" guides out there on the net if one were inclined to find it.

However, if picture embedding was enabled on this forum people like myself and anyone else so inclined could do some VERY cool "how to" guides right here.

Places like image shack (imageshack.us) host the pictures for free and even give embedding links showing how to use the images for forums quite easily. This does not affect this sites bandwidth usage as the images are hosted off site and comes from their own bandwidth.

Video "how to" guides could also be embedded using the embedding code from youtube if someone was to do a video.

I myself would be doing guides all the time with pictures or video that I have created myself if this feature were enabled.

On another note it seems that a fair number of people use this section to show what they have for sale at their own site or eBay (evilBay). This really should have its own section like other forums in a "Puppets for Sale" thread as it is not really relevant to puppet making.

What does everyone think?

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
I am guessing that no response is a fairly good indication of a no then?

LOL

Oh well, I am going to make a heap of guides anyway. Standing members probably wont find too much new in them but n00bs will find it quite enlightening . . .

Peace :smile:

FeLo

Reaction score
As a Noob i would take great joy in reading your guides and i do agree it would be great to be able to read a guide with embedded pictures i would personally find it really helpful

practicecactus

Reaction score
Site moderators hava shot down requests for posting pics before. With the site growing in member numbers, I can't see that changing anytime soon. I just use other sites for photo and video posts and link to them.

Having a separate section for the ebay selling would just be a roped off section of redudant posts after a while. They annoy me a little but at least, once people stop posting in them, the threads dissapear.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
The more photos the more server space= more cost.

Unfortunately (I imagine) not too many people here (including myself) donate money to Muppet Central, I know... shame on me. So I think not hosting photos is a wise choice on their behalf.

HauntedPuppet

Reaction score
The more photos the more server space= more cost.

Unfortunately (I imagine) not too many people here (including myself) donate money to Muppet Central, I know... shame on me. So I think not hosting photos is a wise choice on their behalf.

No, as I already explained the photos are hosted off site and load from this site. It uses up the image hosting sites space and bandwidth and makes no difference to this forums space and bandwidth at all.

There is absolutely no reason not to do it but I will refrain from asking, suggesting, etc etc in the future as it seems that no one likes it.

Site moderators hava shot down requests for posting pics before. With the site growing in member numbers, I can't see that changing anytime soon. I just use other sites for photo and video posts and link to them.
I wonder what their reason was. I have run sites for forums before and I can see no reason not to do it. Remote hosting can be enabled without having native hosting allowed.

Having a separate section for the ebay selling would just be a roped off section of redudant posts after a while. They annoy me a little but at least, once people stop posting in them, the threads dissapear.
Exactly, again there is no reason for not having it that way. If people are interesting in buiding puppets and puppeteering then that is what they would want to read about. If someone were to want to buy a puppet for a specific purpose then they could enter that section and buy a puppet. This way people are not hawking their goods in the space people have for building their own puppets.

However, I have found that if any kind of suggestion is made people seem to object to it just on principal here so Im guessing that MC wants to remain just how it is. With this in mind I am just going to refrain from making any kind of comment or suggestion. This is a rather sad thing considering that it is a forum and is usually partly what forums are for.

So anyone should just disregard anything I have said because it is obviously unwanted or apparently not needed.

Peace :smile: