Monster Shakespeare

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Since early February myself and another puppeteer have been doing a series of weekly workshops at work with a team of eight new puppeteers. Each week they’ve been learning the basics of on-camera puppetry; how to perform using video monitors and how to use different types of puppets, including simple rod puppets, Bunraku-style full body table top characters as well as more traditional hand and rod TV puppets.

We recently had them do an exercise I called "Monster Shakespeare". Everyone had to select a monologue, sonnet or soliloquy by Shakespeare and perform it using one of the practice puppets at our studio.

There's a video of the exercise online at http://unraku.ca/2010/04/unraku-school/

Most of the puppeteers still have some technical skills to work on - the usual suspects like lip sync, eye focus, etc. - but I've been really impressed by everybody so far, especially since none of them had done any on camera puppetry until the workshops started a few few weeks ago.

wes

Reaction score
I like that idea, and the video was great!

Very expressive!

Jinx

Reaction score
Monster Shakespeare.... it's almost too wonderful an idea! Well done, Andrew!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Very nice! I'm particularly impressed with the subtlety of their performances. So many of us tend to "over act" with our puppets when we first begin. It's clear that some acting experience has served them well. Excellent work! I shall look forward to more monstrous performances!:batty: