Spruce Greensleeves on eBay

Dearth

Reaction score
No one bid on it. That's odd.

Actually, I have a lot of questions about this piece.

If the puppet was indeed made by Jim in 1978, when was the pedestal made?

Because that ped.'s collage art includes an image of Kermit as Bruce Springsteen parodying the cover of Born in the USA (1984), as well as Kermit's face superimposed on the body of Michael Jackson's outfit from BAD (1987).

So either the seller is wrong about the year it was made, or failed to mention that the pedestal was made later than the puppet.

Either way, it sends up a little 'caveat emptor' shiver on my spine.

Dearth

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
It sounds like that event would have been written about or documented. I would need some sort of provenance.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Its interesting that the snowmen at the base are in fact modified doozers?

Chris

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Good point KermieuK. Looks like anyone could ask him a few questions about it on ebay.

Davina

Reaction score
not sure they'd know much.. they list the character as Oscar the Grouch... that don't look much like Oscar

muppetperson

Reaction score
I think "Oscar" is just a reference.His name is Spruce.When I saw the puppet, I thought that it doesnt look like it would be something that Jim would of made.The mouth and eyes dont look the Muppet quality.

beaker

Reaction score
This looks like a hoax. This looks like the sort of "Muppet-esque" puppet you see churches use, though bearing NONE of the signature quality mid 1980's NYC Muppet/Sesame productions would use. Even for charity.

The year is totally wrong, 1978? The earliest this could be is 1984.
Perhaps Jim Henson really did autograph the displays from the mid 80's used, but I have doubts of the authenticity of this piece.

REAL Muppet stuff has from time to time showed up on ebay in the 13 years Ive been on there, somehow I doubt this is one of them

muppet_dk

Reaction score
It's not fake, heres what they found out over at thoughpigs.

Craig Shemin said:
"Unless someone went out of their way to counterfeit an obscure Muppet, I can tell you that it is real. The date is off -- I think it's 1988 and not 78 because I remember dealing with it when I was in the PR department -- and I started full time in 88. I think I sent the blank tag up to Jim's office to have him sign it... it was attached to the puppet after he signed it.

I think Ed Christie built the puppet -- it was created expressly for the auction and was not used in any production that I know of. I'll try to confirm with him if he built it.

Karen [Falk] can confirm this, but I would say that it is an authentic creation of what was formerly called The Muppet Workshop, but it was not a screen-used puppet."
Karen Falk said:
"The Henson Company participated in the Night of 100 Trees a couple of times. As Craig said, one event took place in 1988 (12/6/88) and before that on 12/9/86. Usually, celebrities decorated trees that were then auctioned off. Clearly, the Workshop decided to make a "Spruce" tree in their own fashion. Craig's memory of having the tag signed sounds completely correct (Craig never forgets...). Jim would not have made the tree himself.

I don't have the program for the 1988 event, but the 1986 program lists a "Jim Henson's Muppet Tree" under the "Celebrity Trees" listings. I don't know what it looked like."
Ed Christie said:
"Yes - Spruce Greensleeves! I designed the concept, built the puppet and a freelancer Karl Wendelin (died from HIV) did the base & scaffolding. Interesting to see it on Ebay. Maybe I should bid on it!
On closer inspection, it's looking real shabby. The "Roadies" are actually Doozers painted & flocked white. Clever, huh? I bet they are real "toasty".

I was able to get Jim to sign the label which is sewn onto it.

The puppet is removable for performance. I think it sold for around $3,000. Ah .... memories."

Karen Falk said:
"By the way, the company participated in the Night of 100 Trees event in December 1987, too. The tree was somehow "Miss Piggy's Tree" and sold for $3500. (I don't have any real documentation, just a listing in the chronology.)"
They also participated in 2002 with this puppet Bruce_McSpruce

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Mmm... So this could be Bruce McSpruce's long-lost elder relative. Well, guess the seed didn't fall far from the old bark. :sleep: :boo: