Is 'Of Muppets & Men' worth the money?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'd say it's worth $50, but be sure to read the description. I hadn't realized that when I bought my book (a little more than $50 at the time because I had a search out for it with a company before I knew better) that the description mentioned a torn page that was taped back together. No real loss of image, but it was something I wish I'd paid attention to before I paid that much for the book.

The read is AWESOME! The photographs are TERRIFIC! Yes, get it when you feel getting is good.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Seanc,

Glad you got the book, I knew that you would love it. Its a great book.

I must dig mine out the cupboard and look through it again.

My local charity shop currently has Jim Henson The Works for sale, I already have it, but am very tempted to buy the copy to keep in spare, as I also love this book, and its very rare for something Muppety to show up in the small town I live in.............and of course the money will go to charity!

Chris

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hi Seanc,
My local charity shop currently has Jim Henson The Works for sale, I already have it, but am very tempted to buy the copy to keep in spare, as I also love this book, and its very rare for something Muppety to show up in the small town I live in.............and of course the money will go to charity!

Chris
Hey, if it's for charity, why not? I also like to have spares of things (if I can afford them). I try to do that with Brian Froud stuff if I can. I don't know why, but 'round my parts the Brian Froud books fly off the shelves like crazy.

The Works is a wonderful book!

Convincing John

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I bought my copy way before the days of Ebay, Amazon and other online market places back in the early 90's. I paid about $60 something bucks for it at the time, because it was nowhere to be found and things weren't as easily obtainable on the internet as they are now. It's an AMAZING book for any Muppet collector/fan, but some of the prices it has gone up to on Ebay auctions or that people are asking for on various sites are a little ridiculous.

Remember most collectible items no matter what they are, have only become so and are quoted certain prices because that is what people in the past have been willing to pay for them. My copy was also a little more pricey at the time because it was a UK printing of the book. But shop around, see who will give you the best deal, if you're buying it from a seller (meaning an individual person), do some research and make sure these people are trustworthy.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I bought my ex library copy of Muppets & Men at a bargain price of £12.00, many years ago though!

Chris

SeanC

Reaction score

Chris
Always worth getting a second copy, especially if the money will go to a good cause :smile:
I never bought 'The Works' myself, mainly because it's stocked in the library where I work and I can borrow it anytime I want. The tragic thing is, when you exclude my borrowings from the equation, the book has only been taken out 4 times in the past 17 years.

jeremyactor

Reaction score
I scored mine off of ebay for a cheap, cheap price since the person mis-spelled the title on the auction. I think I got it for $15 or so.

And now it's autographed by Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire!

:smile:

Jeremy

SeanC

Reaction score
Heh - if anyone happens to have found $1000 down the back of the sofa, there's a Jim Henson signed copy on Ebay right now.
Link's not working, but if you do a search you'll find it.

Dearth

Reaction score
My copy arrived yesterday... bought it off Amazon for $36 + $4 shipping.

As I browsed it and came across the great full-page color image of Linda Lavin with the Electric Mayhem, I remembered getting an email in the last two weeks about an upcoming talk she was giving at the local university.

Alas, that was on Saturday, so my opportunity to get her autograph on that page had already come and gone!

Anyway, I am glad I only spent $40 for this book... considering that practically every image and anecdote in it has been mined for reference sites and articles in the years since it came out.

Still a great book, but I would have been bummed out if I'd spent much more than that, only to find so many passages that I've practically memorized from outsourced locations.

Dearth