TMTM logic

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, from what I've read, it's not accurate at all. Amnesia is more like what Dory had in Finding Nemo ... basically, short term memory loss (or long-term memory loss, depending on what neurons were damaged). In any case, amnesia is always rather convenient in plot devices. Kermit must have had long-term memory loss, as he doesn't remember his friends but it's not like he went to Ocean Breeze Soap and then forgot he worked there the next day or anything. Another possibility (sorry, I have to use my psych degree for something, LOL) is that he merely had dissociative fugue (sp?). Basically, you just wake up later with missing time because you shut out memories of your original life. The fact that Kermit was highly stressed kinda points in this direction. It's not so much memory loss as "I just can't deal with it anymore".
That's an excellent way to put it. Personally, I always hated the "I got amnesia" bit (especially when it's just an excuse, as I said, to rerun old clips to make a "new" episode), and MTM is the only time I really excuse it. I did like that Captain N episode where the villains tried to take advantage of Simon's amnesia, causing him to get so confused he thought he was Donkey Kong Jr. Other than that, it's the lamest of all TV tropes.

But the stress going to his head making him almost invent an entirely new lifestyle for himself (not quite as speedy and snappy as Fred Flintstone) makes a LOT of sense since you brought it up. And it never fails... someone has to get hit on the head a second time for it to undo. Which makes the least sense of all of them, since that would REALLY cause brain damage if you think about it.

And the amusing thing is, in Fraggle Rock, it shows that some songs are traditional and others write their songs, so it's kind of admitting that most of the time it's not just about randomly bursting out into song. It's more like just singing a song you know that just happens to fit the scenario at the time. The only catch is that in Fraggle Rock the Ditzies contribute to the music too (why are there instrumentals when the singers don't have any?), so it's also possible to be brought into a song with the magic of the Ditzies.
Fraggle Rock is a very complex little show. Morseo than SS and TMS ever were. So a lot more things are explained, and there's a lot more backstory. And I noticed that there are instances where they have the break into song bit... but they have a very musical culture down there. I'd say that Fraggles that aren't playing or (remotely using the term) working are composing little songs for each other or just themselves to sing.

Read the fine print of the contract ... he never mentioned "for all eternity", LOL. Fame is fickle. All it takes is one movie to bomb and out goes all that success.
Trust me. no matter how terrible the movie or TV show you're in does, they'll give you a musical, or a role in one. Might have to be off Broadway for a while (or forever)... but theaters, especially small ones, jump at the chance to put "Star of TV's X in some obscure musical" on the playbill and lights in front.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Trust me. no matter how terrible the movie or TV show you're in does, they'll give you a musical, or a role in one. Might have to be off Broadway for a while (or forever)... but theaters, especially small ones, jump at the chance to put "Star of TV's X in some obscure musical" on the playbill and lights in front.
And ironically, I think the Muppets were starting to lose a bit of their popularity around the time that The Muppets Take Manhattan was released.

But hey, being a former star who ends up settlign for acting in a bad musical is better than being a former star who has to settle for one of those celebrity stunt/reality shows!

Muppetplus

Reaction score
At one point in the montage of events where the muppets go looking for Kermit, they are seen rehearsing for the upcoming show. It appears that Rizzo was supposed to be Kermit's temporary replacement, at least in rehearsals.

But I always wondered how in the world the muppets understood a word in those letters Pete sent to them later in the movie, telling them to come back to New York. I guess it's the weirdness in them.

Also, earlier in the movie, Kermit tells Pete that he'll take eleven bowls of the special soup. However, there are a total of twelve muppets in this scene. Was Kermit planning to skip eating?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Also, earlier in the movie, Kermit tells Pete that he'll take eleven bowls of the special soup. However, there are a total of twelve muppets in this scene. Was Kermit planning to skip eating?
Floyd was going to eat the soup while Animal was going to eat the bowl.

beaker

Reaction score
Hehe, while even my overactive 6 year old mind at the time I saw this in theaters when it originally came out thought the EXACT same thing(especially the "how did everyone know their lines and have all the props and outfits?) I just wanted to address this:

The Muppet Show, which was always 'planned' by Kermit still featured much backstage chaos... why would this spur-of-the-moment casting run so slickly without a trace of mayhem?
See, each film is a stand alone as there is no set "Muppet canon". The Muppets are just actors, according to what they say in talk show interviews; so therefore aside from the Kermit/Piggy on again-off again relationship...there's really no
set continuity. Ooh, this should be its own thread