Quick question on the mouth plates......

Animal31

Reaction score
The last time I bought rubber toilet gasket was at a small hardware store (ACE Hardware). That may not be too helpful for folks outside of the US as I do not know if ACE is international... doubt it.

The smaller hardware stores tend to be independently owned and so might carry things outside of the norm from the "big box" hardware/lumber chains.

When I bought mine, it was dispensed from a roll. It was "classic" rubber... kinda reddish pink in color and about 3/32 of an inch thick. The sheet was 12 inches wide and X feet long. I bought 2 feet since I didn't really know much about using it and was simply going for experimentation.

I don't know if I can even get it at the same place any more. They moved and changed stuff around in their store to "update". Which, in my experience, means you won't be able to get what you want anymore.

-Gordon
I was even considering some of the $9.00 car mats from Walmart or K-Mart...........

D'Snowth

Reaction score
HaHa, I know, everything is going "green"!
Well... then I guess we can't complain too much then, huh?
I was fixing the one I have around a tree and noticed how thin and bendible it was, plus it didn't seem to pinch or crease when I folded it........

Just a thought
It's not really a good idea to make one palette and fold it... it's better to have two palettes - a top and a bottom, and when you fabricate it, let the fabric serve as the crease.

I don't know if I can even get it at the same place any more. They moved and changed stuff around in their store to "update". Which, in my experience, means you won't be able to get what you want anymore.

-Gordon
Ain't that the truth? Gee whiz, it's like all of the sudden every single grocery store in town has updated themselves, and ever since they did, there's tons of items in particular that I like that they don't carry anymore... it really sucks.

Animal31

Reaction score
[It's not really a good idea to make one palette and fold it... it's better to have two palettes - a top and a bottom, and when you fabricate it, let the fabric serve as the crease.

Sorry, my mistake, when I said fold it I meant I was experimenting with "frown' faces, not folding it as a one piece palette...

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but you might look at using craft foam, or "Foamies" as they're known here in the US, as a replacement. I think it might be a sheet of L200 foam, but I wouldn't swear to it. They come in various pre-cut shapes and sheets in various thicknesses, dimensions, and colors. I think they're made by Darice: www.darice.com.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, but you might look at using craft foam, or "Foamies" as they're known here in the US, as a replacement. I think it might be a sheet of L200 foam, but I wouldn't swear to it. They come in various pre-cut shapes and sheets in various thicknesses, dimensions, and colors. I think they're made by Darice: www.darice.com.
I got through explaining earlier that I experimented with using that for palettes, and found the results to leave much to be desired - ait doesn't hold shape very well, after a few scrunches and smirks, the head starts to lose shape, and the puppet looked like it was in a permanent sneer.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Ahhh... thanks for the heads up. that'll teach me to post before I read the whole thread :wink::stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My thinking is that the foam has no natural spring to it like rubber does... even though I've never used gasket rubber before, I imagine that it would easily spring back into shape after being scrunched up.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
does anyone have any pictures of building a mouth plate with rubber gaskets? No one replied to my post... I thought builders were using the rings, then i found sheets... but once again it seems as if you all are talking about the rings. So, which is it? But yes if anyone has pics, that would be great. I didn't see any when i tried googling for em.

Animal31

Reaction score
does anyone have any pictures of building a mouth plate with rubber gaskets? No one replied to my post... I thought builders were using the rings, then i found sheets... but once again it seems as if you all are talking about the rings. So, which is it? But yes if anyone has pics, that would be great. I didn't see any when i tried googling for em.
If you go to Lowes' website and look under "Red Rubber" it comes up, I bought some last night at the one by my house. It's small sheets about 6" by 6", with widths of 1/8 or 3/16, but just right for a sock puppet style mouth.....

spcglider

Reaction score
I am pretty certain nobody is talking about the rings. Unless, of course, someone has developed a NEW mouth palette design!
:wink: