Favorite Non-Henson Puppets and Puppeteers

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The Great Space Coaster is really growing on me.

ploobis

Reaction score
I just saw on MTV a commercial for a new series starring Warren The Ape from Greg The Bunny! It's called The Warren The Ape Show and it premiers on June 14'th!

Looks like something worth checking out. Besides I always thought that Warren was funnier then Greg.

GSmiley2007

Reaction score
The House at Pooh Corner (this is the early '80s puppet version of Winnie the Pooh- long before The Book of Pooh came along. Loved watching this show as a kid.)

Circle Square (a great Christian children's show I watched as a child- I loved this show! I was so thrilled when I found TBN showing episodes a while back! They've got some episodes available on their website too.)

Kids' Jamboree (another great local Christian children's show that's really hard to find any info on- I used to love watching this too.)
1.) The show's called "Welcome to Pooh Corner", not "House at Pooh Corner". And yes, I enjoyed that show a lot (and Dumbo's Circus as well).

2.) Spoeaking of Christian children's puppet shows, I'm really getting into Quigley's Village-- Bubba the Ape and Spike the Porcupine are two of my favorite characters from the show. :smile:
I haven't seen Circle Square or Kids' Jamboree yet, but I'll take a glimpse at them.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Yeah, like I said a while back, practically every non-Henson puppet show out there has SOME sort of Henson connection, whether it's the performers, or people behind-the-scenes.
It's almost kinda like television puppetry is a very insular brotherhood of sorts, lol.
Of course it is. Because Jim Henson and Jane Nebal led the way in demonstrating how best to make puppetry work on television. Before them although there had been puppetry on telly, they set a certain standard (for example they were the first to use moniters). And then because no one else worked in their way they had to show others how to do it, and then performers have gone on to other things and taken that knowledge with them (for example Louise Gold went on to become a founder puppeteer on Spitting Image).

Three shows I have to mention here, and yes all have connections with Hensons.

First of all Spitting Image - the scripts are very funny, and watch the early episodes it must've been quite an achievement to make that show work. A

Recently I've come across and very much enjoyed 'The Spooks Of Bottle Bay.

Finally,have to mention 'Transmission Impossible With Ed and Oucho' - those termites were scene stealers!

dwmckim

Reaction score
Glad someone finally mentioned Spitting Image! DC Follies (in the USA - highly inspired by the UK's Spitting Image) was terrific but SI puts it to shame!

All time fave DC Follies moment - Michael Jackson and Richard Nixon both having cosmetic surgery operations at the same time and ending up with each other's noses.

I don't want to do a lot of repeating of a lot of the great stuff already mentioned, but i have to name three of my all time favorites i don't believe have been mentioned...

Waylon Flowers and Madame
The Hot Fudge Show

Forever fans of both!

...also The Letter People - though watching the shows as an adult doesn't hold up as well as the above two, they were a very cherished part of my childhood.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a shame that D.C. Follies never really took off... in my opinion, for a late-period Krofft show, I think it was one of Sid and Marty's better ventures than the likes of those variety shows they began cranking out in the late 70s and early 80s.

kdking

Reaction score
There was a Canadian show back in the '80's called The Adventures of Snelgrove Snail. :smile:

crazy chris

Reaction score
GREAT SPACE COASTER!
PINWHEEL!
PEE WEES PLAYHOUSE!
MONGRELS!
SPITTING IMAGE!

cc

Edradour

Reaction score
Wonder Showzen is a guilty pleasure of mine too...

My wife's favorite childhood show was "Mr. Dressup", with his puppet companions Casey & dog Finnegan.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Triumph the insult comic dog from Late Night with Conan O'Brien. :insatiable: