Muppets Sherlock Holmes

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I like it I think it goes well with the ones they have allready done. It would really be neat if they had some reference to Sherlock Hemlock.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Since Sherlock Holmes was planned to be a guest in the cancled "Guest Stars" storyarc of The Muppet Show Comic Book, I wonder if maybe this could be the reason why it was cancled (then again, couldn't they have found another guest star?).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm really glad the "Fairy Tales" line isn't all just fairy tales. Why, I'd love to see them rename it "Great Muppet literature."\

Sherlock Hemlock's public domain now... right? Don't wanna see a Lupin III/ Aresene Lupin type fiasco here.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oooh, the art looks really good so far. I will admit that Amy's once spot-on Gonzo art is looking a little Muppet Baby cutesty here, but her Fozzie is fantastic as is the style of the entire cover.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well a nine-page preview has been posted at Tough Pigs, even though it won't come out until september.

And it has a scene representing Veteirnarian's Hospital!

And it includes appearances by:

• [*]Angus McGonacle
    [*]Pepe
    [*]Nigel
    [*]Wayne
    [*]Wanda
    [*]Bean Bunny

Also, I think I saw Skeeter in the two-page spread at the beginning. Unless of course that's supposed to be Scooter in drag.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The story seems interesting and the covers are beautiful. The character art is what we’ve come to expect from this artist, but I have to admit to wanting some new blood in illustrating the Muppet comics from here on out. I suppose this particular style has already hit its stride for me. Most of the characters look pretty attractive, but once again the Gonzo is sorely lacking. I don’t get why because he used to be drawn so beautifully.

While I enjoy the various interpretations, I'd really like to see one four-episode arch drawn in a beautiful on-model style. I don't think this has really been done quite yet. Amy's is close to that, but not quite. This looks like a good, heartfelt effort, but I'd like Boom to open up the Muppets to more artists. There are plenty out there who'd love to do this. It's time to thank the current illustrators and let others share the Muppet stage for a while. IMHO

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem with "on model" is often times it turns into "taken directly from the style guide". And I've always been an opponent of style guides, because they never look the exact same as the characters anyway, especially if it's a cartoon. Then the characters tend to change their looks subtly from the first through last episodes of something (though it's becoming less and less in a digital era). Plus, while there would be a lot of artists that would do it justice, a lot of them would just slavishly copy stuff, not giving enough room for movement or fluctuation.

Personally, I subscribe to the Kent Butterworth (I think that's the guy... this was based on a quote from Milton Knight's website) philosophy that if it's recognizable enough, it's acceptable.

We all have to admit, Gonzo IS pretty hard to get down. Not just the nose, but the eye placement, and the various little subtleties in his structure... Big Bird's the same for me... he has so much subtlety in the shape of his head alone. Plus, you gotta admit, Amy's Gonzo actually looks like the current puppet a bit.

EDIT:

Uhhhh... Is Sherlock Holmes gonna be the next thing? I just heard there's gonna be a Tom and Jerry meet Sherlock Holmes movie on DVD...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The problem with "on model" is often times it turns into "taken directly from the style guide". And I've always been an opponent of style guides, because they never look the exact same as the characters anyway, especially if it's a cartoon. Then the characters tend to change their looks subtly from the first through last episodes of something (though it's becoming less and less in a digital era). Plus, while there would be a lot of artists that would do it justice, a lot of them would just slavishly copy stuff, not giving enough room for movement or fluctuation.

Personally, I subscribe to the Kent Butterworth (I think that's the guy... this was based on a quote from Milton Knight's website) philosophy that if it's recognizable enough, it's acceptable.

We all have to admit, Gonzo IS pretty hard to get down. Not just the nose, but the eye placement, and the various little subtleties in his structure... Big Bird's the same for me... he has so much subtlety in the shape of his head alone. Plus, you gotta admit, Amy's Gonzo actually looks like the current puppet a bit.

EDIT:

Uhhhh... Is Sherlock Holmes gonna be the next thing? I just heard there's gonna be a Tom and Jerry meet Sherlock Holmes movie on DVD...
I'm thinking more on model rather than exactly on model. There are a lot of really good artists out there who could draw the characters even more authentically than we've seen so far. This recent issue kind of looks to me like fatigue and watered down compared to some truly great earlier works especially with Gonzo. Comic illustration isn't easy. While I could - draw a fairly accurate Gonzo in my sleep (it's actually one of the sobriety tests I do after a night out with my friends :concern:, I couldn't do what any of these illustrators do day in and day out.

Shelli Paroline isn't particularly on or off model, but her work is my favorite so far. She walks the line the best and I'd actually like to see more from her than any other artist. When I look at her stylized Pepe, it looks like Pepe to me and I'm not caught up in how he was drawn as much as I am with this current Holmes. I'm just concerned that the Muppet comics are getting pigeonholed into one particular artist's style and becoming bigger than the brand.

I guess a particlar full Muppet graphic novel where the Muppets pop through more than a particluar artistic style is what I'd like to see. Or maybe find a perfect fit instead. An Alex Ross grade artist for the Muppets.