Removable parts and pieces

blemker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working on an antron fleece-based puppet and running into a bit of a conundrum.

I'm working on a puppet that sometimes has a beard, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes has a tattoo and sometimes doesn't.

Has anyone ever done something where parts can be removable without leaving residue or a mark on the puppet and not where something else is taking it's place (like interchangeable noses, eyes, etc). I don't want to use velcro because of what it does to the fabric.

Best,
Doug

SesameKermie

Reaction score
For thicker parts (eyes, ears, noses, etc) you might be able to embed magnets in them and some in the corresponding positions on the puppet. As far as the beard and tatoo, maybe you could use double sided tape or the "felt and flannel board" technique? (Felt and flannel board: A board covered with flannel, and then various felt shapes are temporarily adhered to it simply by the pile of the fabrics and static. the felt would need to be the floppy kind, not the stiff kind.)

practicecactus

Reaction score
Beard can just be pinned on. That's how wigs and features are kept on whatnots. Tattoo would depend on what your design is. Like if it's on the arm, you could make the arm removable with velcro, press stud, or also just pinned on.
Or you could make two puppets.

Animal31

Reaction score
For thicker parts (eyes, ears, noses, etc) you might be able to embed magnets in them and some in the corresponding positions on the puppet. As far as the beard and tatoo, maybe you could use double sided tape or the "felt and flannel board" technique? (Felt and flannel board: A board covered with flannel, and then various felt shapes are temporarily adhered to it simply by the pile of the fabrics and static. the felt would need to be the floppy kind, not the stiff kind.)
Ingenious! But wouldn't small magnets work as well under the chin as well, between the fleece and foam, and then the other magnet sewn to the underside of the beard or sideburns?

King Rupert

Reaction score
If the tattoo is on the arm, I would just make detachable arms.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Ingenious! But wouldn't small magnets work as well under the chin as well, between the fleece and foam, and then the other magnet sewn to the underside of the beard or sideburns?
You could do that too. I was worried about concealablility and strength/durability. Even with the magnets, you don't necessarily want the parts coming off at the wrong time. Likewise, you do want to be able to remove them when you do--Bert's nose anyone? :stick_out_tongue::frown:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
You could do that too. I was worried about concealablility and strength/durability. Even with the magnets, you don't necessarily want the parts coming off at the wrong time. Likewise, you do want to be able to remove them when you do--Bert's nose anyone? :stick_out_tongue::frown:
Bert's nose is (or used to be) held on with T-pins.

:stick_out_tongue: