Who drew the original Labyrinth movie poster?

Stignos

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

What brings me to write these words is the original movie poster for labyrinth.

This one
http://www.infobarrel.com/media/image/126.jpeg

I have been doing research about it and I have been unsucccesfull so far...

Does anyone have a clue of who the artist can be? Maybe he signed with an alias?

Any info would be apreciated!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The best I can tell you is that this previous threadhttp://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=15424
drew the conclusion that the signature looked like a Tom Covis, but I think that may actually be Tom Arvis.
Sorry to not have a definitive answer, but maybe that will help some. And this thread did inspire me to watch Labyrinth again last night! It's such an awesome movie! I enjoy The Dark Crystal pretty well, but Labyrinth is definitely my favorite Henson fantasy film.:smile:

Stignos

Reaction score
Yeah tried to google the names and nothing comes up at all...

Do you think it might be possible to contact the producer or something? I mean there has to be a record of who got paid for that job? and surely with that level of drawing he must of made some more work in his life?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I don't know. I guess try contacting Henson directly, perhaps.:confused::search:

Laszlo

Reaction score
I LOVE that poster! Unfortunately I dont know more.

John Takis

Reaction score
Well, the OTHER famous poster -- the one of Jareth holding the globe with Sarah inside -- was done by Steven Chorney. And in fact, if you look at the rough artwork done by Chorney on his webpage:

http://www.stevenchorney.com/gallery/actual_image/labyrinth.html

...you can discern the basic elements of the final design: Jareth holding the sphere, framed by a labyrinth design; Sarah in the fancy dress in the foreground; Goblins to either side. Now, clearly the final artist (from his signature) is NOT Chorney. But it looks like the artist built on Chorney's work. I'd say there's a good chance Chorney knows who it is. I'd e-mail him and see if he knows. His e-mail, given on his website, is:

steve@stevenchorney.com

Of course, in any letter, be sure to pay your respects to Chorney's fantastic work before anything else...

Dearth

Reaction score
I'm just spitballing here... but was there a novelization for Labyrinth? If by chance they used the poster art for the cover of the novel, the name of the artist should be printed on the credits page at the front of the book.

Dearth

John Takis

Reaction score
I'm just spitballing here... but was there a novelization for Labyrinth? If by chance they used the poster art for the cover of the novel, the name of the artist should be printed on the credits page at the front of the book.

Dearth
There IS a novelization, by A.C.H. Smith, although it's incredibly rare. But I DO have a copy. It uses the aforementioned Chorney artwork, and he is NOT mentioned by name (although the guy who "designed" the cover is). Good thought, though!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Just found the answer. The painting was done by Ted Coconis. The answer comes thanks to a document transcribed from a tour of the Henson Townhouse back in 98. There's, unfortunately, not a whole lot about it on his website, but there is a brief bit in his bio listing his movie assignments.

Stignos

Reaction score
Just found the answer. The painting was done by Ted Coconis. The answer comes thanks to a document transcribed from a tour of the Henson Townhouse back in 98. There's, unfortunately, not a whole lot about it on his website, but there is a brief bit in his bio listing his movie assignments.
You sir, are awsome, you just made my day, literaly!

Another answer found thanx to the internet! :big_grin: