Twenty years since we lost Jim Henson

ftnpro

Reaction score
It's not often you can remember a particular day long ago, but I can clearly remember what a crummy day it was on May 16, 1990. I came home in the afternoon, and my mom informed me that Jim Henson had died (no websites or 24-hour news cycle to give me that news sooner). It was textbook: I went right into the 'denial' phase. "Nah, Mom, you heard that wrong." Maybe some older person who once worked with the Muppets had died. Of course, I soon realized it was true and the Muppet world would never be the same.

The Muppets have had their ups and downs these past twenty years, as have we fans. But it's comforting to know that the Muppets are still around, in the capable hands (literally) of people from back then like Steve and Dave, plus talented newcomers like Eric Johnson and Bill Barretta. And it's a wonderful tribute to Jim that websites like Muppet Central give us a place to focus our Muppety energy. The fans on this site are what keep the Muppets going!

Jim left us far too soon, but just think if we had never known him at all. A generation or two sooner, and he would have been a great performer and leader (in theater or vaudeville, maybe) whose work would never have been recorded. Dang, we're lucky he came along and shared his genius with us.

Thanks, Jim!

6ftInchworm

Reaction score
I shall celebrate it this way; rather than mourn the fact he's gone, we should celebrate the things, ideas, and actions he did throughout his life. Because that's what he wanted.

R.I.P Jim. We'll see you up there one day.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I was very young when this happen and I learned about it later in my life.

Such a tragic end to a great and legendary figure of entertainment. :sympathy:

MeepMeepBork

Reaction score
I wasn't even born yet when Jim passed. It's amazing how someone who was never even alive during your lifetime can have such an impact on your life.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I was very young as well- a couple weeks shy of 3 years old. My parents told me about what had happened to Jim starting when I was early elementary age. It has only been in the last couple of years that the tragedy of such a loss has truly hit me.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I wasn't even born yet when Jim passed. It's amazing how someone who was never even alive during your lifetime can have such an impact on your life.
Ditto, and same goes (for me, at least) for Richard Hunt.

analeisa

Reaction score
Ditto, and same goes (for me, at least) for Richard Hunt.
Me too. Jim and Richard both died before I was born but they still influence me a lot. Jim is my creative inspiartion. I watched his joyful creations from a young age and knew that I wanted to create similar things.

I didn't learn that he was dead, or even who he was, until later in life. Now I feel like that the world was cheated out of more time with him. But I’m glad that he was here at all. He got to share a lot of his ideas and bring a lot of joy. Besides, we can always keep our memories of him alive. R.I.P Jim

Super Scooter

Reaction score
www.toughpigs.com has a very, very nice tribute to Jim.

Today, I drove to work with the windows down, blaring Muppet music as loud as I could stand it. Hopefully someone else heard. :smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
Jim,

I wanted to just talk to you for a minute or two and tell you how I feel. I will never forget the day you passed away. I was ten years old and had just started to understand what you and the Muppets were all about. I remember being very upset because it seemed to me that people were only talking about the death of Sammie Davis Jr. and not discussing yours. I was upset because everyone knew that Sammie was dying but you came as a surprise. I thought that it was the end of the Muppets and I was not okay with that. I was scared that Kermit, Ernie, Rowlf and the rest of your Muppets had died with you. I couldn't imagine a world where Kermit no longer existed. I was very happy when I found out that Steve would be taking over Kermit (and Ernie, for that matter) because it meant that your spirit would live on. And I believe that your spirit has lived on. The Muppets have made three movies, a series and countless ads since you left this earth. They are also on the cusp of a huge revival. The Sesame Muppets just celebrated 40 years on the air and are part of the most beloved children's show of all time. The Fraggles are about to start filming a new movie, where we can only hope that we might get a glimpse of Cantus or Convincing John (or maybe both). They are even stating production on a Dark Crystal prequal. And the Henson company has become a leading force in children's television with the creations of Sid the Science Kid and Dinosaur Train. They are also doing live adult shows under the Henson Alternative label that I am sure you would be very proud of. Your children have done your name proud.
I guess I just want to thank you for all that you have given us. As I am writing this my eyes are tearing up because, even though things are going well with your properties, it has not been the same since you passed. You are missed every day and while you can not be replaced your spirit has lived on and flourished. Words can not describe how much your fanbase has grown. If you could only see the websites and listen to the discussions that your characters have sparked in the Muppet Central forums and on the MuppeetCast.
I guess I will end this by saying that I would have loved to have met you but, because of your charaters, rich imagination and drive to entertain, I feel like I know you.
Thank you, Jim

Matt "unclematt" Blecha

ftnpro

Reaction score
That's another thing that warms my heart: that so many people discovered the Muppets even after Jim was gone. I watched the Muppet Show as a kid... but others watched Fraggle Rock as a kid... and my little nephew is watching Sesame Street as a kid. Jim must have really had something special, to reach across the years like that.

Great tribute, Super Scooter!