The Muppets have a table read for the new "Greatest" Muppet movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not the too hipness for me. The script originally had a LOT more pop culture sci-fi references in it... the problem was they hired a hack director who slaughtered the script because he had "vision." Muppets checking mail. Nothing cooler than that. :rolleyes: Thanks Frog he didn't do any other films. i'd hate to see Muppets Stand in Line Quietly at the DMV or Muppet Laundry Day.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
And yet, watching clothes spin around in a front-loader is oddly hypnotizing, LOL. :smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Watching Muppets spin around in a front-loader, now THAT would be a win. Why didn't we see that on the Muppets go to Disney show?

Cleaning the lint trap would be murder afterward, though.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Opening number aside, the Muppets seemed just so sad and apathetic to me throughout MFS. Some folks claim that VMX has that, but I felt they were a lot truer to form there. The Muppets need to actually sing vocals on their own songs and mess things up half way through. That's the Muppet way. I understand what they were trying to do depicting relaxed Muppets in real life checking the mail, painting the house and playing cards, but the characters have a way of making those simple things much more eventful. In my mind, some creature should live in the mail box, Sweetums and the Muppet monsters should be helping Kermit paint the house and failing miserably. Things like that. It just seems more of what Jim and Jerry would have done.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Opening number aside, the Muppets seemed just so sad and apathetic to me throughout MFS. Some folks claim that VMX has that, but I felt they were a lot truer to form there. The Muppets need to actually sing vocals on their own songs and mess things up half way through. That's the Muppet way. I understand what they were trying to do depicting relaxed Muppets in real life checking the mail, painting the house and playing cards, but the characters have a way of making those simple things much more eventful. In my mind, some creature should live in the mail box, Sweetums and the Muppet monsters should be helping Kermit paint the house and failing miserably. Things like that. It just seems more of what Jim and Jerry would have done.

VMX was trying to be a bit too hip, but it seemed pretty organic when things were working right (minus the NBC show promos that is). But VMX managed to give the characters their madcap spirit of a really botched musical number/parody of the overhyped Moulin Rouge film (I still don't see the appeal in anachronistic music), among other things. Oz didn't... and MFS only had that in the opening number. There were some great moments between Bobo and Jefferey Tambor, but everything else felt uneven... and it makes you wonder what Joey's original script was really like? I can say right away it must have been a LOT Muppetier.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I had some ill fitting oddballs once, but I kept the receipt so I could exchange them for some in my size...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the reason why the Muppets are so cool is because they aren't hip. They are ill fitting oddballs that just try to get it right.
I'm talking about the writing, of course. But it worked a lot better than the jaded and almost depressing Oz -which I STILL swear takes place in the world Kermit was never born. That dark, depressing, concrete mall and freaky night club had almost the same atmosphere as the ugly CGI Wizard and the horridly bright colors and the off kilter camera angles. UGH! It's a film that's not even pleasant to LOOK at.

VMX at least had a Muppety spirit behind it, though I could skip a bunch of scenes and watch the whole thing in 45 minutes or something and get a better flow. Again, I blame everything that stunk of the Simpsons writer's contribution... and NBC (they want promos of everything ON everything... even Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Get him to the Greek, and Despicable Me).

Anyway, any Muppety spirit was drained from MFS was do to the wonderfully brilliant director who thought Jon Arbuckle should be drained of any Jon Arbuckle spirit (that's going TOO FAR!). What do you expect when your masterpiece is the Chipmunks movie where they obsess over toaster waffles for no apparent reason?

Oh... and Oz was clearly going to be on Fox at some point. Why else would they have the obvious allegory to American Idol in the entire thing? They're almost as bad as NBC about promotions.