"The Looney Tunes Show" premieres May 3, 2011

Yorick

Reaction score
Mr. T cartoon's gonna be released via MOD on WB's website... just thought you'd like to know..
Thank you for the info! :big_grin::super:

as a young child I was spoiled by syndicated packages of classic cartoons. Sure, I like Transformers and stuff... but the classic cartoon packages (everything from Popeye to Terrytoons) were the things I looked most forward to watching every day. I really wish there was some deal made for WB to loan out classic Looney Tunes for some sort of syndicated package (how much could old reruns that are already edited to death for children cost?)... at least then kids would get exposure.
Right on! I know they have cheap DVDs of like 12 cartoons now (just like they had VHS tapes of 4 cartoons in the 80's and early 90's). I recall getting 2 different VHS tapes (2 different covers, both with a picture or re drawn scene from Yankee Doodle Daffy - the first with him scaring Porky, the 2nd with him dancing by the curtain) with Yankee Doodle Daffy, Daffy and the Dinosaur, Daffy The Commando, and To Duck Or Not To Duck. Then I got a DVD with the same episodes (in the same order, plus some extras at the end without Daffy) about 20 years later (with yet a another pic from Yankee Doodle Daffy on the cover - singing "I'm A Cowboy"). It's like there's someone paying attention to these things! I thought it was all randomly selected!

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's the same problem I have with sitcom reruns. All these companies bought up rights or consolidated what they had in the 90's, and they've pretty much refused to show them ON those cable stations now. WB keeps thinking Looney Tunes are a hard sell to kids,... well, they ARE if there's no where to put them. I saw both legit and copyright expired Looney Tunes compilations on television in syndication. Now, all they care about is trying to reboot a movie franchise of something that has NEVER been good at being long subject films. Even their best work was 90 minute theatrical clip shows.

Again, I know they put too much stock in LTBIA, but they also monkeyed the heck around with the film (I long to see a Donner Cut or the original script), taking the enjoyable stuff out. But then again, quality doesn't always equal box office performance (If so, Triplets of Belville should have broke records and Fast and Furious should never have seen 2, let alone 5), but it's like they didn't want to try very hard to compete with Elf (a movie I just can NOT watch the whole way through) and Cat in the Hat (not touching that one), which both trounced LT theatrically.

Of course, they gave us Baby Looney Tunes (which is cute for a line of baby products, don't get me wrong... but terrible for a TV show) and Loonatics Unleashed (another thing I'm not touching)... EVEN THOUGH Duck Dodgers, Taz-Mania, and Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries managed to keep them hip without reinveting the wheel... and LT classic cartoons were still on somewhere in some shape or form.

But I still don't see a compilation show, similar to all the ones they had up until the 00's on regular broadcast sometime either in the afternoon or weekends would hurt them so badly. Sigh.. I heard about the 60's and 70's... not only did they have compilation shows, but each channel had their OWN compilation show... some even ran AGAINST each other. :eek:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hey Dr.Tooth- just thought I'd mention- Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated has already released Season 1, Volume 1 with 4 episodes on it earlier this year, as you mentioned.
Volume 2 comes to DVD next Tuesday with 4 more episodes.
http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doo-My...1K0S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304620076&sr=8-4
But I imagine if you give it enough time they'll wind up going back and doing proper season sets. It's annoying, but it seems they wind up doing it this way in an attempt to get more money.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey Dr.Tooth- just thought I'd mention- Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated has already released Season 1, Volume 1 with 4 episodes on it earlier this year, as you mentioned.
Volume 2 comes to DVD next Tuesday with 4 more episodes.
http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doo-My...1K0S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1304620076&sr=8-4
But I imagine if you give it enough time they'll wind up going back and doing proper season sets. It's annoying, but it seems they wind up doing it this way in an attempt to get more money.
I really dislike it too.

In the case of Batman BATB, Teen Titans, The Batman, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, they did manage to stop doing "kid friendly" volumes and release them all in sets (so far with Batman BATB... we have the first season out and half of season 2 coming)... but in the case of Chowder and a few others, they just had 2 volumes and nothing else. Edd Ed n' Eddy managed to have 2 season sets before they disbanded the whole thing. I hope Batman BATB gets a nice long season by season release by the time the show is over. And I hope Scooby's big enough a cash cow that they release that in sets too. And Young Justice while I'm at it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I miss Taz-Mania ;.; To me growing up it was the sibling series to Tiny Toon Adventures...

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
I missed seeing The Looney Tunes Show and forget to set my DVR to record it, but it sounds like something I should give a watch.

While we're on the subject of new CN shows, has anyone seen The Amazing World of Gumball or whatever it's called? (Or has that show even begun airing yet?) That looked interesting to me, if only because it reminded me of Chowder.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of new CN shows, has anyone seen The Amazing World of Gumball or whatever it's called? (Or has that show even begun airing yet?) That looked interesting to me, if only because it reminded me of Chowder.
Sighhh... what happened to Chowder makes me sad. That was supposed to be THE new CN show to save CN originals and they killed it after 2 seasons. Nothing was half as madcap as a show that uses both 2-D animation, occasional stop motion, and the oddest of all, actual live action segments and even puppetry. A show created by someone who worked on Spongebob that was a million times weirder and funnier than Spongebob (and I LOVE Spongebob).

As for Young Justice, I've seen one clip so far. I liked what I saw, but I've had faith in the show since I heard about it. The DC cartoons have been all pretty solid and enjoyable on some level to me... though the first season of Legion of Super Heroes was weak... the second one was very strong, but they killed it just when it was getting good.

Still, I highly push for Batman Brave and the Bold. The show has referenced EVERY version of Batman out there so far, and includes voice actors from previous Batman cartoons (just not as the characters they played). If you're still not a fan, there is this amazing episode I watched yesterday that could convert anyone... "Batmite presents Batman's Strangest Cases." The show is made up of three segments... the 1950's Mad Magazine comic "Batboy and Rubin," a play at Batmanga, and the most amazing of all, a spoof of the Scooby-Doo Movies Batman team up, with animation meticulously aping the 2 episodes, even forcing in coloring errors and mocking how they couldn't throw a punch back then. Oh, and did I mention Weird Al was in it too? If you must watch ONLY one episode, you HAVE to watch that one.