A NEW ThunderCats cartoon in 2011!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
As for TMNT, I have to say, the 80's series, as great as it was, crushed its own 80's cartoon legacy.
I know what you mean, there was a lot of shameless promotion and merchandising that was inevitable with a successful cartoon series, lol. Still I just can't say a bad word about the '80s ninja turtles, hehe.

I just felt like the newer TMNT cartoon was a bit too serious. I mean it felt like Raphael's whole character was "Grrr I'm angry" which really got tiresome after awhile. I mean like Nostalgia Critic said, "Remember when these guys were fun? Lighten up!" :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know what you mean, there was a lot of shameless promotion and merchandising that was inevitable with a successful cartoon series, lol. Still I just can't say a bad word about the '80s ninja turtles, hehe.

I just felt like the newer TMNT cartoon was a bit too serious. I mean it felt like Raphael's whole character was "Grrr I'm angry" which really got tiresome after awhile. I mean like Nostalgia Critic said, "Remember when these guys were fun? Lighten up!" :wink:
The thing that bugs me is this... watch the live action movies. Raph was like that there. I'd say they took a movie movie adaption like direction, similar to how Batman TAS was similar, but not quite the Tim Burton movies (that one even used the film underscore for the theme song).

Again, I love both equally, but I think 2k3 had some better concepts, more time with Usagi Yojimbo (which really should have lead to a Usagi Yojimbo series), a superior version of Baxter Stockman (Insane in the Membrane was one of my favorite cartoons EVER), and of course, Casey Jones was a more important part of the series (the 80's series totally wasted the potential in having him show up every so often... he was only in 3 episodes, and he really was able to shine in Corporate Raiders from Dimension X). And, I gotta admit, I like April better as a scientist/older sister figure for the turtles... especially Don's babysitter crush on her.

But make no mistake, I'd throw them both under a bus for the comics. You know when they say a movie's good, but you need to read the book because it's better? Track down the old comics... you won't be disappointed. And, I have to admit, the Archie TMNT line was amazing. It used the 80's series as a model, but did much deeper stuff when it stopped copying episodes of the show.

But you know what franchise REALLY got killed by it's own 1980's legacy? The Smurfs. I've been reading the comics, and all I can say is the cutesy, adorable, always get along Buddy Bears aspect was never present. These rowdy bunch of Smurfs beat each other up, and they never held back on Brainy. Much like the mighty Gauls of Asterix fame. In fact, I think they established a few tropes there that the Asterix writers used. The Smurfs's distaste for Brainy is almost exactly the same as the Gauls for Cacophonix. Not to mention the Smurfs snacking on sarsaparilla leaves, and Gargamell wanting the Smurfs, not for stew, but to use to make a philosopher's stone. I'm enjoying these far more than the show. Too bad the movie script writers didn't bother doing any research.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Nice! I think this animation artwork looks much better than the promotional poster. I don't recall Tygra having a gun of some sort in the '80s cartoon, but he may have and I just don't recall the episode.
Cheetara looks a bit different but still recognizable and I see they gave Panthro a beard. Lion-O looks pretty decent though and his depiction is the one I like best here I think. It seems to be the one truest to his original incarnation.
But where are the ThunderKittens and Snarf? I trust they're still onboard. It will be interesting to see some actual episodes though.:smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me is this... watch the live action movies. Raph was like that there.
Oh I've watched the live action movies too and I actually loved Raphael there. There was the anger, but I felt like he was a frustrated, misunderstood teenager. Plus he was funny in his digust with the world. The new cartoon Raphael didn't feel like a teenager, he just felt like "the moody one." Just my opinion of course. :wink:

But yeah I'd love to track down the comics someday as well! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh I've watched the live action movies too and I actually loved Raphael there. There was the anger, but I felt like he was a frustrated, misunderstood teenager. Plus he was funny in his digust with the world. The new cartoon Raphael didn't feel like a teenager, he just felt like "the moody one." Just my opinion of course. :wink:
Depends on what episodes you watch and how many of them you have. I highly recommend the one where he meets Casey Jones. Not to mention, as the show went on, he had anger issues, but he wasn't quite as bad off.

Now it's when you get to Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers is when they REALLY Flanderized him. Well, they Flanderized just about everyone in that. Raph was bordering on being Oscar the Grouch in that one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Depends on what episodes you watch and how many of them you have. I highly recommend the one where he meets Casey Jones. Not to mention, as the show went on, he had anger issues, but he wasn't quite as bad off.

Now it's when you get to Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers is when they REALLY Flanderized him. Well, they Flanderized just about everyone in that. Raph was bordering on being Oscar the Grouch in that one.
OK that makes sense, sometimes it's necessary to see whole character arc.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
But where are the ThunderKittens and Snarf? I trust they're still onboard. It will be interesting to see some actual episodes though.:smile:
I read an article that stated Snarf will be in the new show but will not talk. Apparently they felt this was the best solution as people find Snarf annoying but would complain if he was left out.

I'd imagine the Thunderkittens would be in as well perhaps in reduced roles since we've seen no sign of them yet. If they're putting in Snarf they'll put in Wilykit and Kat.

We haven't seen any villains yet either. Mumm-Ra better look freaking amazing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I read an article that stated Snarf will be in the new show but will not talk. Apparently they felt this was the best solution as people find Snarf annoying but would complain if he was left out.
Didn't a majority of Thundercats fans really dislike him? I'd hate to have them complain that he isn't talking when they didn't like when he did. I'm sure everyone else would appear in time.

Wouldn't it be fun if they had some sort of brief reference to Tiger Sharks somewhere in this one? After all, they were both by the same company. And Tiger Sharks CLEARLY got inspiration from Thundercats.

All and all, remember this. They are planning both current AND retro versions of the toys. So even if you hate the new series, they'll have something out there for you. That's the way to do it. Retro AND current. Sure helped out Hasbro when they included episode 4-6 characters when they released Attack of the Clones merchandise.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wow...I actually had a dream about Thunder Cats last night. Disturbingly not my first one...but in this one they were reinacting an episode of Star Trek Voyager for some reason...:concern:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It would be great if this cartoon made references to both SilverHawks and TigerSharks! ThunderCat, SilverHawks and TigerSharks were all made by Rankin-Bass and I loved watching all of them in the '80s. I've always considered them sibling shows. They have similar plotlines but different settings-
ThunderCats- terra firma
SilverHawks- outer space
TigerSharks- underwater

You never know- they might work in some cameos or references of some sort.