Jim to Future Generations?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This has been a bit of concern of mine that's been growing recently...

Will future generations not even know who Jim Henson was? Granted WE know who he was, previous generations know who he is, those we associate with who are younger than us might be familiar with him, but what about the majority of the younger and future generations?

I ask this, because since Disney's purchase of the Muppet franchise, I've seen Jim's name slowly disappear from products and such, and being replaced with Disney's (save for DVDs and such where his name still remains either as "Jim Henson's" or "Jim Henson Pictures/Productions/Home Entertainment Presents". It's something that Walt Disney himself said to creative people in the entertainment industry: always put your name on everything you create.

I'm sure future generations will be familiar with Mr. Disney, since his company is still alive and and cranking things out with him name on it, but what about Jim? His name's gone from SST from the closing credits (from "Jim Henson's Muppets" to "The Muppets of Sesame Street"), his name's disappearing from Muppet products. I know there's groups and such that try to keep his legacy alive through programs and foundations and such, but in the big picture, will Jim be as easily remembered for what he gave us as much as the likes of Walt Disney?

lds1987

Reaction score
Well, to be honest it is in a way up to this generation if Jim Henson will be remembered for the creation of the muppets, fraggles, and etc. The best way is by doing what we are doing now, showing kids the vintage muppets and co, not just the new stuff. Let them see his work as well as Youtube clips of him, let them know all the wonderful things he did. I'm making sure my son and sis know who he was, and that they understand the magic he created. So in short I guess I'm saying it's up to us on how we do it, but in truth people are out there doing just what you ask. :smile::wink::excited:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but I don't think his name will be widely known (it's already getting harder to find people who recognize the name). However, much the same as Mel Blanc, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, and others still get recognition for their work on Looney Tunes, I'm sure Jim will always have the same. His name hasn't been taken off of his past work. And hopefully, Disney and Henson will continue to release products (like Henson's Place) that keep his memory alive.

Greenlantern999

Reaction score
just do your part to pass it on, My 4 year old nephew knows who he is because I show him Muppet stuff and I point Jim out when he shows up in stuff and he likes to see my Jim Muppet figure and my kids (when they come) will know who he was and yeah maybe he won't be on th lips of all the kids out there but he'll always be remembered.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
The sad part is, it's not even the younger generations either. There's alot of either clueless people out there, or people who just don't care enough or for whatever reason or another have not been touched by Jim's work. I went on a job interview back in 2001, with a PUBLISHING company and had my internship with the Henson Company in NYC listed on my resume. The one actually asked me "The Jim Henson Company now what do they do?" and I sat there in silence for a few seconds I was THAT surprised and I was like "Um, the Muppets? Sesame Street?" True story

SeanC

Reaction score
It's not just the younger generation, though. One day at work ( and I can't remember how the subject came up ) I mentioned that Big Bird had sang at Jim Henson's funeral. One of my work colleagues, a man in his 50s, looked at me blankly and said "Who's Jim Henson?"
Thankfully, one of my other colleagues replied with "The Muppet guy."

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I think it'll end up being that Muppet fans will know about Jim Henson, but others won't.

Which is understandable, because (don't shoot me for saying this) its ok that now everyone's into the muppets.

Everyone's got their own interests and you tend to know more about those things