Nickelodeon Petition

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Most of the cartoons I've seen from the seventies and eighties were trash. The early ninties had the absolute best cartoons, in my opinion, comparable to the Looney Tunes era.

I have a weak spot for some shows like Archie and Josie and the Pussycats (and I find myself intrigued by what little of Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down I've seen), but they're still not all that great.

Yorick

Reaction score
Well, now I clearly see that if this was a vote, the 70's and 80's shows would have the Ralph Nader amount of votes...but, just as with Nader supporters, I can still hold on to my views on cartoons, no matter how unpopular...:big_grin: (But regarding Nader, I don't know enough to make a call...though I know that's not relevant to this thread...but just saying.)

I like a lot of early 90's stuff...but that was the end of the line for me, and in my opinion, it didn't beat the late 70's/ early 80's. When that era is bashed, it feels to me the same as when people bash the Muppets in general, or say about Labyrinth, "I couldn't get into it." - I mean, life goes on, but it's a little bit of a bummer.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fine. I'll close the dang thing.
You wanna know who peed in my cornflakes, buddy? The guy who used the unimaginative, derogatory term "Fagboy" to describe something he didn't like! Wow! What bigotry from a member of a Muppet fan site. I wouldn't sign any petition you'd create! You do realize just how terrible your language is, don't you? Richard Hunt was gay, many members here are gay, I'm the graphic designer of this site and I'm gay. What epic ignorance inspired you to point us to support your cause written is such hateful language. No thank you. An apology is in order. I’m almost inclined to recommend suspension.

When the frog will people stop using gay terminology to describe something stupid? We've been through enough already and yes, many of us work out and are quite fit. Would you have the courage to say that out loud to a gay person's face? I assure you that results would be quite different if directed to some folk. Pride was only a week ago and I've been "out" for 19 years and still such childish name-calling. Can you tell I'm upset? Jeez! I’m done with ya.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Now back to the discussion about the current quality of broadcast cartoons…

The mediums of television and cable have drastically changed since the introduction of new broadcast methods. As different internet, on demand and portable device technologies grow both old and new companies will want to make their individual mark on the medium. This means niche programming and that means creative ideas to stand out above the fray. It will be our job to support these programs so that they’ll stay on, but I believe that opportunity is coming. Nick in its current incarnation is old-hat and they’re going bonkers trying to remedy that. Many companies are. The marketplace has changed. Downloadable and on demand content are still in their infancy like YouTube was several years back when they had all the good stuff. Sure, it’s all likely to be ruined again, but I believe that will be after the coming content renaissance.

Yorick

Reaction score
I do echo the sentiments of everyone here against the derogatory term used in the petition. I would like to think it was just that the 11 year old (who's the son of a friend of the person here who made the original post) doesn't really have anything against anyone who's gay, just that sadly, in school many people seem to use such poorly chosen terms - I wish it would stop, that's for sure, and I am not making excuses by any means - just stating that I'd like to think they meant no harm, and if they read the posts here they'd never use such terms again.

As for the show "Gerbert" (which one assumes the original poster got their name) that was a pretty cool show for kids.

As for cartoons:
Sure, it’s all likely to be ruined again, but I believe that will be after the coming content renaissance.
Sounds good!

Drtooth

Reaction score
When the frog will people stop using gay terminology to describe something stupid? We've been through enough already and yes, many of us work out and are quite fit.
What do you expect from 11 year olds? They all talk like Eric Cartman. And they don't even NEED to watch South Park. That show has the most biting realism in the portrayal of kids I've ever seen.

The problem is, we pretty much let "gay" and "retarded" both derogatory terms slip into our lingo when they really shouldn't have. There are people who accidentally manage to let the terms slip out, even if they support either community and don't mean to say it in a hateful manner. It's quite a challenge to purge ourselves of these words... though I will say there's been great stride in trying to get "retarded" off of people's lips. That other thing may take some time too. It's very unfortunate, and I don't like it... but we all have to learn to purge these words from our system, like swearing. I've tried months to stop dropping F bombs for no apparent reason, and keep falling back into it.

Most of the cartoons I've seen from the seventies and eighties were trash. The early ninties had the absolute best cartoons, in my opinion, comparable to the Looney Tunes era.
I read your take on things, and appreciate your knowledge, definitely! However, I also know what I like, and I like those shows (some of them) in spite of whoever came up with the ideas. And I like them more than so many new shows (even the old shows that I'm neutral about) - but again, I appreciate that you are more open to the new stuff. I can promise you this - I don't dislike most new stuff because it's new - I just dislike it because it doesn't feel right to me. As I said in another thread about live-action stuff, I can't exactly put it into words, but...it is what it is...
This is a conversation I tried to have in another thread that's like 5 pages down now.

Anyway, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you, Yorick... It's perfectly okay to like the shows. I just don't like their philosophy. Fair enough, I like a LOT of 1980's cartoons. I'd be outright denying I was a kid at any point in my life if I didn't say Super Mario Bros. Super Show was a huge part of it. TMNT was ONLY a cartoon to sell toys, and there's no one that hates it if they're from the 80's. A lot of stuff I'd like I'd have to critically call garbage too, but I just can't bring myself to. And then there's stuff that I loved when I was younger that I renounce (Care Bears... I hate them all except Beastly- and that's because I just love John Stocker's voice). it is a matter of taste and all.

Problem is, I follow animators a LOT. And a lot of them that had to work in that era basically did so for the pay checks, and they didn't even feel it was worth it. I always say, watch the 1980's Mighty Mouse. If you ever want to see the progress of an oppressed people who finally struggled to get freedom (or as close to it as they could in those days) then you gotta watch that one. We're talking Ex-Filmation people. They were REALLY held back due to Filmation's deadlines and budgets. Look up "Handcuffs on a Snake" (word for word) on Youtube.... that's the Filmation series. Someone posted a story in one of the comments... Eddie Fitzgerald storyboarded this extreme take, and one of the upper level guys started yelling at him about how it couldn't be done, and Kent Butterworth (bless his soul) decided to take on the WHOLE thing by himself without any overtime pay.

We all know there was a major change of scene in the 90's, when Nickelodeon came up with Nicktoons. That's the first time there was a "created by" in a cartoon's title (though once they fired John K from Ren and Stimpy, they hid it in the end credits). Batman TAS pushed the envelope of how realistic, gritty and violent a super hero cartoon could be (I just bought a copy of Super Friends at Five Below... that's gonna be fun). And let's not forget Disney's afternoon line up (which came out of the 80's to be fair) and Animaniacs and Tiny Toons.... there was such a huge rebirth in the 90's and they were all really creator (or at least talented writer) driven shows. We take that all for granted now. So even if there's a very VERY bad cartoon with a creator's credit, I at least respect that end. These people were once faceless, no we know all their names.

As for Looney Tunes... COME ONE! Can anything really be as supremely amazing as those marvelous old shorts? Except for the gophers, anyway... yech.

The mediums of television and cable have drastically changed since the introduction of new broadcast methods. As different internet, on demand and portable device technologies grow both old and new companies will want to make their individual mark on the medium. This means niche programming and that means creative ideas to stand out above the fray. It will be our job to support these programs so that they’ll stay on, but I believe that opportunity is coming. Nick in its current incarnation is old-hat and they’re going bonkers trying to remedy that. Many companies are. The marketplace has changed. Downloadable and on demand content are still in their infancy like YouTube was several years back when they had all the good stuff. Sure, it’s all likely to be ruined again, but I believe that will be after the coming content renaissance.
That's the biggest problem yet. Kids would rather play video games and make fun of fat, mentally disabled, and (to tie it in to what you said earlier) gay people on Facebook than watch a cartoon. There are three problems I state... technology, parental groups/FCC regulations that sounded like a good idea at the time, and of course fad shows like Hanna Montana (which is losing steam). We have the least amount of new cartoons ever. Disney ONLY has Phineas and Ferb (which I find excellent... especially the Doofenshmirzt and Perry scenes). They pretty much rushed Replacements and Emperor's New School to 52 episodes to cancel them. And I'll say for the trillionth time, they were batnuggets not to make a POTC cartoon. CN wants to be the Disney Channel... and nick has to go to older audiences too, holding on to Spongebob because he is still very popular.

As I said, due to technology, people aren't one iota as patient as they used to be. A show that's not a success right out of the door will never get the slowly growing audience it deserves (imagine if they gave Zim another chance... we'd be clamoring them to end it because the new seasons would suck), where as a show that is successful at the beginning tends to get gimmicky and lose viewers season after season.

As for the internet... I want to see GOOD internet cartoons that have NOTHING to do with video games. Other than Homestarrunner (which has been on hiatus for months) I don't watch any net originals. There's just nothing as good as an actual 20 minute TV cartoon IMO...

Yorick

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm picking on you, Yorick... It's perfectly okay to like the shows. I just don't like their philosophy. Fair enough, I like a LOT of 1980's cartoons. I'd be outright denying I was a kid at any point in my life if I didn't say Super Mario Bros. Super Show was a huge part of it. TMNT was ONLY a cartoon to sell toys, and there's no one that hates it if they're from the 80's. A lot of stuff I'd like I'd have to critically call garbage too, but I just can't bring myself to. And then there's stuff that I loved when I was younger that I renounce (Care Bears... I hate them all except Beastly- and that's because I just love John Stocker's voice). it is a matter of taste and all.
Thank you for that! :smile: Though I didn't take it personally, and knew you were only getting the word out on cartoons, it's still cool to hear that from you. After the second person denounced 80's toons, though, I wondered if everyone was gonna jump on the bandwagon and bash away!:concern:

Problem is, I follow animators a LOT. And a lot of them that had to work in that era basically did so for the pay checks, and they didn't even feel it was worth it. I always say, watch the 1980's Mighty Mouse. If you ever want to see the progress of an oppressed people who finally struggled to get freedom (or as close to it as they could in those days) then you gotta watch that one. We're talking Ex-Filmation people. They were REALLY held back due to Filmation's deadlines and budgets..
Filmation was just about the (if not THE) last hold out as far as - they did all their work (from the first idea to the finished episode ready to air) in the USA - Lou Scheimer keeping his people working. So I do respect that. But I also understand how tough it could be for everyone (including Lou) to do that, and why they eventually folded. However, the limits (and of course the talent there) did give Filmation their own unique style:insatiable:

By the way, I agree, Homestar Runner is cool! Also, by the way, what did you think of the 1996 Superman series?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thank you for that! :smile: Though I didn't take it personally, and knew you were only getting the word out on cartoons, it's still cool to hear that from you. After the second person denounced 80's toons, though, I wondered if everyone was gonna jump on the bandwagon and bash away!:concern:
Tell you the truth, I hate the 70's a LOT more than the 80's. I actually like most 80's cartoons... especially the 1980's DIC era (Inspector Gadget, Dennis the Menace, Heathcliff, AND Mario? what's not to like there?) It's just a really awkward time when you learn the history. Plus, I object to giving any cartoon characters non-canonical children. Popeye and Son? I though Swee'Pea was his son. Not a blood relative, but he took him in. I can respect a lot of cartoon classic redux type stuff... I liked the 90's Woody Woodpecker for some reason... just... when they have kids the show focuses more on them. Plus, I gotta say I dug the 90's Pink Panther.

Filmation was just about the (if not THE) last hold out as far as - they did all their work (from the first idea to the finished episode ready to air) in the USA - Lou Scheimer keeping his people working. So I do respect that. But I also understand how tough it could be for everyone (including Lou) to do that, and why they eventually folded. However, the limits (and of course the talent there) did give Filmation their own unique style:insatiable:
I respect what they did right there, but every animator that came out of it has horror stories. So basically it's a 2 sided deal. They were the only studio to keep cartooning in the US... problem was their budgets were stretched tight, they had all these deadlines, and they did just so many cartoons at once. I like a good portion of them... especially Fat Albert (their masterpiece, I feel) and their take on Mighty Mouse. I have NO love for their Tom and Jerry or Droopy Dog shorts (which would have been an ideal place to use animation they were unfortunately not capable of)... and I honestly never cared all that much for He-Man (I just preferred Thundercats). So, it is a mixed blessing if you think about it.

That said a LOT of people from Mighty Mouse The New Adventures came from the Filmation Mighty Mouse series... John K, Kent Butterworth, Tom Minton (as cartoon dorks know, the model for Brain of Pinky and the Brain), Eddie Fitzgerald.... only one who didn't work on it (or for filmation) was Ralph Bakshi... who worked with Mighty Mouse in the Terrytoon era.

Also, by the way, what did you think of the 1996 Superman series?
In as much as I'm not a big Superman fan (sorry, but I'm with Bats), I find it a very well done amazing show. I really enjoyed it, especially Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk. Just... I always find Superman a little dry. I like him, but again... I'm going with Batman.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
In as much as I'm not a big Superman fan (sorry, but I'm with Bats), I find it a very well done amazing show. I really enjoyed it, especially Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk. Just... I always find Superman a little dry. I like him, but again... I'm going with Batman.
I'm with you Dr.Tooth, I'm more of a Batman fan as well. But if you like the 1996 cartoon, check out that DTV Superman: Doomsday, it's really good. I enjoy the comic book series of Superman's death and for the most part thought that movie did it some justice.