How do you give puppet fur a shag-style look?

wcb

Reaction score
I have been a member for a while now and I am starting to get more involved in making my own puppets and replicas.Does anyone know if there is a way to take fur and give it the shag look (Elmo and Grover style). Any suggestions would be appreciated:super: I already made a Kermit and I am starting to make others. I will post some pictures when I am done to get any feedback or tips on them.

TML

Reaction score
Buy the mendels shag fur and the boil it for about 2 to 4 minutes depending on how long you want it.

wcb

Reaction score
I have some furalready. I'll try boiling it and see what happens. thanks.

Gerbert

Reaction score
Wet it, scrub it, Scratch it, Leave it in a pool and Start scratching it. NEVER Boil the Fur. It lost The Color when I tried it. also Like get a Little firt or a rock and Start toughining it. Oreo crumbs that are Mini mini Mini.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Actually, you can boil fur in order to treat it. I am not an expert in this, but have seen it done very successfully (for example, these Swazzle puppets). That being said, anytime you die, distress or treat any textile there are a not of variables involved, including what the fur is made of and the type of dye that was used in the manufacturing process and how either of those will react to heat.

Always do a test on a small swatch of fabric before you dye or treat a large piece.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've found that Mendels has relatively unreasonable prices. Both actual sales price for fabric, and shipping. :smirk:

Blink

Reaction score
I've found that Mendels has relatively unreasonable prices. Both actual sales price for fabric, and shipping. :smirk:
Agreed. I only use them if I have no other resort. E.g. I've checked every store near me and found nothing.