Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

Mupp

Reaction score
I don't mind if they did actual fairy tale movies... it's the never ending and increasingly annoying parade of "Fairy Tales with a 'Tude" (read Shrek wannabes). If I want to watch a fractured fairy tale, I'll watch the REAL Fractured Fairy Tales. At least the Jay Ward team knew how to satirize a fairy tale.
I know what you mean.

beaker

Reaction score
Just recently got into his stuff a bit. I saw Spirited Away on cable a few years back and was blown away by the story and the animation and I am not traditionally an anime fan. But I thought Spirited Away was so wonderful, after seeing it I went online the next day and bought the DVD.

Now that I have Netflix I want to check out more of his animated films.

If it's high quality anime I'm big into it(Akira, Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, Cowboy Bebop the movie, etc) otherwise yeah a lot of anime seems rather disposable. Im glad Disney has released all of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's films on dvd, so amazing. I loved Spirited Away as it reminded me of the feelings I get when I see really visually arresting films, like The Fall or Mirrormask.

beaker

Reaction score
I, like most people, am tired of the constant whining about how CGI is over powering the market. Here's the facts.
that was a massive wall of text there:smile:

But yeah I remember getting a queasy feelings when Disney announced years ago they were going forward with their own version of Toy Story 3. After the real life massive recall of Mattel and other toys, that really woulda been awkward. I do like *some* inhouse Disney 3d, particularly Chicken Little.

Youre right, theres a lot of Disney tentpole animated features between 1995 and 2004 which were dreadful. Treasure Island, Hunchback, Hercules, Pochahontas, Borther Bear, Home on the Range. I never even saw Mulan. Of the last three decades the ONLY ones I like are Emperor's New Groove, Princess and the Frog, Fantasia 2000, Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Aladdin King of Thieves, Tarzan, and to some extent Lilo and Stitch. Beauty in the Beast, while not my favorite, I can respect immensely.

It's funny, that huge glut of cheapquels they made to 2d films from 1998 til 2009. I think the only ok ones were Lion King 1 1/2 and Tarzan 2. But I also am a huge nerd for ANY Winnie the Pooh movies, even the ones borrowing footage from New Adv.

However, non Disney stuff rocked back in the day. Sorry but I loved Ferngully, Anastasia, American Tail, Brave Little Toaster, etc.

beaker

Reaction score
Mupp, well I'll have to give some of the newer films a shot then. I know my sister has loved a lot of the new CGI films in recent years. I was most excited to hear about the Princess and the Frog, which I still have to rent yet.
I'm telling ya, Up is the best thing Pixar has ever done and even made me cry! Also, Monsters Vs Aliens, as much as I cant stand Dreamworks animation, is one of the most amazing looking, funny and amazing cgi films Ive ever seen

I don't mind if they did actual fairy tale movies... it's the never ending and increasingly annoying parade of "Fairy Tales with a 'Tude" (read Shrek wannabes). If I want to watch a fractured fairy tale, I'll watch the REAL Fractured Fairy Tales. At least the Jay Ward team knew how to satirize a fairy tale.
I don't see how Disney could top Princess and the Frog. I was shocked by how amazing that film felt. Muppets plus fairy tales has always been a huge disaster.

But before that, it was 60 years ago where Disney last made a visionary film based off a fairy tale, Alice in Wonderland. That film should have been shown incessantly to anyone involved in 2d since as the benchmark, as somehow the quality went downhill after that one.

beaker

Reaction score
OMG, Alice in Wonderland.....have you seen the re-release of the DVD they just came out with? I don't have the Blu-Ray disc but brought the regular DVD they just came out with over to my sister's house on a HD television and WOW. We were both bowled over as to how great it looked! And we've seen the film a gazillion times over in the past, but were amazed at how much they improved it for DVD.
I haven't yet, I plan too soon. (not interested in the blu ray thing, so im glad they released a dvd) As much as I love 80's and early 90's Tim Burton, I just had no interest in seeing the new Alice. But there is something so visually rich and ahead of its time with the original.

I happened to come across this remix of sounds and footage from Alice, which has to be one of the most fantastically hypnotic things Ive heard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt7AF2RCMhg&feature=related

also one done by the same guy for Sword and the Stone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIfG4oqI2s&feature=related
(Sword of the Stone trips me out, as despite being from 1963 theres a brief scene where the wizard looks like he just came back from the 1980's)

Drtooth

Reaction score
However, non Disney stuff rocked back in the day. Sorry but I loved Ferngully, Anastasia, American Tail, Brave Little Toaster, etc.
I thought Brave Little Toaster was Disney...

But the 1980's saw some GREAT stuff... Don Bluth's best work was in the 1980's... American tale the first (and only for this fan) Land Before Time... Liked Ferngully too... But I only saw that dreadful Thumbellina because I was dragged to it, and the Animaniacs short at the beginning.

But ENG was one of the best Disney movies past The Lion King. I know a lot of animation snobs whine about how it was gonna be this dry, action movie about a king who loved his country... but I'm in the minority of people who think they did the RIGHT thing messing around and changing the script to be about a spoiled jerk who actually DESERVES to get what's coming to him. Not to mention the snarky little satire of Disney movies they made at the end... making fun of how they either get a larger, scarier transformation (Yzma turning into a cat) and how the villains that don't fall to their deaths (Yzma falling off the palace, but safely getting launched back up on a trampoline). Once I finally got that, I think it was one of the best injokes they ever made. Really liked Lilo and Stitch too.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
If it's high quality anime I'm big into it(Akira, Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2, Cowboy Bebop the movie, etc) otherwise yeah a lot of anime seems rather disposable. Im glad Disney has released all of Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli's films on dvd, so amazing. I loved Spirited Away as it reminded me of the feelings I get when I see really visually arresting films, like The Fall or Mirrormask.
My sister loves Cowboy Bebop. Has the soundtrack and everything. I have yet to see Mirrormask, actually now that you mention it.

SSLFan

Reaction score
It's great Pixar has gotten involved. They really know what good stroytelling and quality is about. I was a bit skeptical about Disney in the past, but they've gained my trust back. This thing can be really happening. And Disney is sure not to screw us over this time.

The Muppets are back.:smile:

6ftInchworm

Reaction score
My sister loves Cowboy Bebop. Has the soundtrack and everything.
Trust me, your sister is right; it's one of the best anime series you'll ever see. If you haven't seen it yet, what are earth are you waiting for?

Anyways, like one poster says, my faith in this movie is growing. As long as the crew learns on why Pixar has never bombed a single feature (and I'm sure the readthrough will remind them why) and remember on what made the first three movies great, then yes, we're in good hands. I trust Disney at what they're doing with the movie right now, and so far, I'm impressed.

Mupp

Reaction score
Disney is definitely trying to be very careful with the Muppets these days.