Your Fave(& Least Fave)Modern Characters?

Libba Yuki

Reaction score
My favorite Post-JH era characters are:

Johnny Fiama
Bobo the Bear
Clifford

Neutral (like, but either not as much or not all the time):

Pepe

Sal

Not too fond of:

Randy/Andy

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah Digit was amazing, Lindburgh, Zondra, and Leon I'd add in too(I think Chip and Zondra have been used since then) Digit has that total Christopher Lloyd thing going on which rocks(sooo glad they changed his voice from the Inner Tube pilot) I always wondered why they never used Digit or the others since then.
It really seems a shame that they never used any of them past that series... even as background characters. They were some of the craziest designed characters for the Muppets ever, blurring the line between Creature Shop and Muppet Shop, making very human looking characters that wouldn't look strange at all next to more cartoonish AM humans. Digit REALLY should have stayed. At least he was in that one video game with the stage you have to unlock. :coy:

And yes, Carl IS a great character to have in the spotlight. There's something so classic about that style of Muppet Monster. It's actually hard to believe he wasn't one of the original monsters from TMS. You can't even say that about some of the best new characters. And I like how some of the Pirate characters from MTI hung on, and I'd really love to see more of them round out the cast in other projects.

But the best characters were taken from the newer projects, I think... even though Brian's absence means no Sal and VanNeuter... I still would love to see some project with Honeydew and VanNeuter together, since they're personalities pretty much contrast, as does their style of science... VanNeuter is far more they stereotypical mad scientist, while Bunsen's a Gyro Gearloose type... inventing stuff that makes no sense, and goes haywire (though he also seems a minuscule bit sadistic when something happens to Beaker sometimes).

You can also say that roughly about Sesame Street's new characters. Not so much they kept the best, but a lot of the characters didn't stick because of their one note jokeness, or the fact that their roles were created mostly due to experimenting with the format. We lost characters like Sherri Netherland (we don't need the hotel anymore) Monty (a fun character, but he really didn't have much of shelf life on the series), and several attempts to bring female roles into the series that didn't stick the way Zoe or Rosita stuck... characters that were more about being girls than characters. When it comes to adding characters to a show, it's a very tricky task. You're essentially filling other roles (which have in the case of both SS and Muppet projects) that have now been sort of refilled with recasts. And adding too many characters to a show means that there's too much focus that has to be split.

muppetmonster

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I do not like any of the new characters except Pepe. He is not my most favorite character ever, but he is funny, at least he is to me. I do not like Sal, Johnny Fiama, or Clifford, and Bobo the Bear is not my least favorite character ever, but he is most certainly no Fozzie, that is for sure, but overall, I think Pepe tops any of them any day.

- Muppetmonster

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Clifford isn't really a new character since he was on the Jim Henson Hour waaaaaaaaay back in 1989.

My least favorite character that is being performed: Pepe. Bill just uses Pepe too much and everything that the Muppets are being marketed for. Movies, specials, stuff on youtube, I get it. Pepe, just like Kermit, is an easy to handle character since he is small. However, I just wish Bill would put Pepe aside, use him as a secondary character, and do something else like performing Rowlf.

My favorite character: Actually two of them....Johnny and Sal. At first I didn't like them, but when I saw them in the christmas movie back in 2002, I actually liked them and continue to like them. I like the friendship paring between the two. I also like that Johnny seems like some lounge singer from the 50's Vegas era.

Character I wish was still being used: Zippity Zap. Another character Bill performed in Muppets Tonight who has been in a few movies just to fill in the scenery. I believe he's supposed to be another frog. With the sunglasses he supports, he could have been another ultra cool guy, much like Floyd and Clifford.

beaker

Reaction score
But the best characters were taken from the newer projects, I think... even though Brian's absence means no Sal and VanNeuter... I still would love to see some project with Honeydew and VanNeuter together, since they're personalities pretty much contrast, as does their style of science... VanNeuter is far more they stereotypical mad scientist, while Bunsen's a Gyro Gearloose type... inventing stuff that makes no sense, and goes haywire (though he also seems a minuscule bit sadistic when something happens to Beaker sometimes).
Unlike Gonzo, it seems Sal and VanNeuter could find a voice/new performer easily. I mean, my mind can't even make a distinction between Eric Jaccobson and Frank Oz..so Im sure they could find someone to play Sal and Phil VanNeuter.

Btw, they got rid of the Furry Arms Hotel in Sesame Street? I haven't really followed the show in ages, cept the segments that show up online.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I like basically anyone used in the modern movies/TV specials:

-Clifford
-Pepe
-Bobo
-Johnny & Sal (<--- we need to see more of them!)
-Van Neuter (<--- ALSO need to see more of him!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Unlike Gonzo, it seems Sal and VanNeuter could find a voice/new performer easily. I mean, my mind can't even make a distinction between Eric Jaccobson and Frank Oz..so Im sure they could find someone to play Sal and Phil VanNeuter.
It would be great if they do so we can see them again... but the question is, can anyone really channel the insanity of Brian's performance of them?

Btw, they got rid of the Furry Arms Hotel in Sesame Street? I haven't really followed the show in ages, cept the segments that show up online.
Dude... like, they got rid of it about five years after they introduced it. Maybe less. They don't even show those characters or mention them anymore.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
My favorite "Modern" Classic Muppets (1990-present/post-Jim) would have to include:

-Pepe
-Bobo the Bear
-Johnny Fiamma
-Sal
-Big Mean Carl
-Dr. Phil van Neuter
-Clueless Morgan
-Polly Lobster
-Mad Monty
-Blind Pew
-Old Joe
-Ghost of Christmas Present
-Bubba the Rat
-Ubergonzo
-Goggles
-Croaker
-Blotch
-Pilgrim
-Chef Angelo

Duke Remington

Reaction score
My favorite "Modern" Classic Muppets (1990-present/post-Jim) would have to include:

-Pepe
-Bobo the Bear
-Johnny Fiamma
-Sal
-Big Mean Carl
-Dr. Phil van Neuter
-Clueless Morgan
-Polly Lobster
-Mad Monty
-Blind Pew
-Old Joe
-Ghost of Christmas Present
-Bubba the Rat
-Ubergonzo
-Goggles
-Croaker
-Blotch
-Pilgrim
-Chef Angelo
One more addition to my list:

-Topo Sticky

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Favorite- I like Ghost Of Christmas Present, and Polly Lobster.
Least Favorite- I don't like Dr. Van Neuter much (maybe it's because when I was a child I was upset about him attempting to remove Gonzo's brain.)