Need Help with Latex and Foam

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thnx for taking the time to read

I've used liquid latex on foam once before, however i wasn't the one preparing it. Figured i could just open a quart of this, pour into a bucket, and paint on the foam... well, its REALLY watery... I remember it being thick. And its being soaked into the foam.

How can i fix this? I have another quart left, which looks just as watery, but i haven't opened it yet (i can see through the bottle).

For my 2nd coating (like an hour after applying the first layer) i used a little white paint to maybe thicken it a bit... Should i use alot more? Before i continue i'll wait for some advice. I just remember using one layer and it was thick and dried faster then this stuff.

One site says this could take 4 hours to dry. I ran out of latex from my first quart. I have several parts i'm coating and doing a turtle shell for a puppet on the side... But i'm really hoping to get help before the 23rd (which is a Halloween Party i'm attending) or at least Halloween.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
How big is the turtle shell you're coating with latex?

There are different kinds of latex. It sounds like the thinner latex you have is a "detail latex"; it's purposely thin so that you can use it for fine details which was probably exactly the right latex for what you're doing.

(Just FYI, typically once you apply a thin latex you would back it with a thicker latex - at work lately we've been using Monster Makers mask latex - although, that's if you were casting something in latex, which you're not)

You will use less latex and it will dry faster if you stipple the latex on rather than brush it. You'll also avoid brush strokes that way and the shell will be much, much lighter. Be careful putting too many coats of latex on because it may make the finished piece heavy.

Blink

Reaction score
You most definitely need to seal the foam before applying the latex over everything. One way to do this is by using a spray foam adhesive (e.g. 3M Super 77). Then, as Buck said, you need to apply a think layer of latex first and then you can build it up thicker and thicker.

If not, not only will the results not look very good, but all of that liquid latex with harden and you will be left with a puppet that weighs about 20 lbs. Yikes!

- Kanja

CoOKiE

Reaction score
The liquid latex i used before, was not so watery. It was much thicker. This is for scars and such and anything for skin, but it drips like crazy.

The turtle shell isnt the main issue. I made the back with model magic and the front i was just trying this stuff out. The Halloween costume is the main focus. I have some model magic on it to create some extra features on the head. Normally we would use foam and then use the latex over the foam and the final result would hide the crevices and look smooth. Well this latex is going on so thin that i can see where the foam and model magic meet like i did nothing to it.

Here are photos to explain whats going on. In the details of each photo i have listed the issues.

Here is a video showing what i'm used to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PXxlYaUQmk

charlie bird

Reaction score
The liquid latex i used before, was not so watery. It was much thicker. This is for scars and such and anything for skin, but it drips like crazy.

The turtle shell isnt the main issue. I made the back with model magic and the front i was just trying this stuff out. The Halloween costume is the main focus. I have some model magic on it to create some extra features on the head. Normally we would use foam and then use the latex over the foam and the final result would hide the crevices and look smooth. Well this latex is going on so thin that i can see where the foam and model magic meet like i did nothing to it.

Here are photos to explain whats going on. In the details of each photo i have listed the issues.

Here is a video showing what i'm used to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PXxlYaUQmkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PXxlYaUQmk
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble !I Did not see the link to the pictures ,but I can't wait to see them.I'm verry intristed in this process.I was aboute to post a link to that same video!
thank you

charlie bird

Reaction score
You most definitely need to seal the foam before applying the latex over everything. One way to do this is by using a spray foam adhesive
I think you could also use elmers glue as a sealer too:smile:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
When you say "sealer" does this mean i should have used a type of glue as a foundation first? I've used thicker latex on foam before and it worked just fine. Like i said tho, we mixed paint with it first. So, does anyone think it was it the paint that made it thick and not so runny?

charlie bird

Reaction score
When you say "sealer" does this mean i should have used a type of glue as a foundation first? I've used thicker latex on foam before and it worked just fine. Like i said tho, we mixed paint with it first. So, does anyone think it was it the paint that made it thick and not so runny?
I think that the paint would make it thicker,but the glue mighte be a good Idea to keep it from going through the foam
thank you

Blink

Reaction score
Elmer's glue dries hard and brittle, so be careful with that idea. Again, sealing with a spay glue before applying the latex is the way to go, IMHO.

Any time you add a runny paint to latex it will make it thinner. You can try adding thicker acrylic and only make it as runny as you choose to.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Elmer's glue dries hard and brittle, so be careful with that idea. Again, sealing with a spay glue before applying the latex is the way to go, IMHO.

Any time you add a runny paint to latex it will make it thinner. You can try adding thicker acrylic and only make it as runny as you choose to.
Thnx! I'll have to add more paint then. I wanna stop it from being runny. I was thinking thats the way to go too, but didnt wanna waste another quart.

Thnx for the help everyone!